Home Community General Football Manager Merry Go Round Thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

Conte to spurs off! Some spurs fans feeling conned as the talks with conte were announced just before season ticket renewal deadline.

Couldn’t see it happening any way but what the hell is going on with spurs, does levy have any plan at all other than to build a stadium? Silly bald git should have been an architect not a football chairman!

Nothing wrong with baldies btw I am follicly challenged myself ๐Ÿ™‚

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Mikus LFC
      Participant

A club like Spurs is in a position more like Liverpool, in that theyโ€™re more a โ€œsell to buyโ€ club, so a manager like Poch was more ideal for them in that he creates a strong bond between the players and makes them greater than the sum of their parts, like Klopp does at Liverpool.

I donโ€™t think Conte is suited to that kind of project. Yes, if Spurs have a hefty transfer budget, youโ€™d think he might do, but then, you need to keep investing quite heavily over time to maintain it. Not sure thatโ€™s going to happen, and it seems Conte is perhaps realising this in the talks.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Yeah but why did they even have talks it clear it wasn’t a good fit just seems a waste of time and feel a bit for spurs fans because they were getting very excited.

Getting to champs league final really buggered things up for spurs, expectations went through the roof just as the current team that poch had built reached its peak and started to decline. They just have not recruited well enough over last 3/4 years

They not far off from where they were when poch first went there.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

Yeah difficult to know where Spurs go from here. Ten Hag? Eddie Howe? They seemed quite keen on Ten Hag at one point so maybe they’ll try again there. Otherwise, Rafa? The names don’t really fill you with much excitement do they?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

I see Roberto Martinez is in the betting. Now that would worry me a lot if I was a Spurs fan. You could imagine him leaving Belgium after the Euros and Levy being tempted. Never have rated him though

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Luckydestiny
              Participant

Nuno? Roberto martinez?

Read on sky sports that conte not convinced spurs can compete for trophies but that spurs have told him there is no pressure for trophies we are spurs! Just never going to happen was it!

There is a free agent super coach out there lads and 3 of our top 6 sides would be better if they brought him in and let him do his thing, yet we have ole and arteta sitting comfortably in their hot seats and spurs don’t even have a manager!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Mikus LFC
                Participant

I think Levy probably thought Conte was worth considering in the same way he thought Jose was worth a punt in that being a big name they might be a silver bullet and suddenly work wonders at the club, as well as possibly making Harry reconsider and creating excitement at the club. But you need all the right ingredients for that to work and it seems Conte quickly realised they werenโ€™t there. Spurs have to play the long game now.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

Mikus, I think everything levy does is a bloody marketing ploy mate. That’s all he knows he sure doesn’t understand football. You don’t sack Jose a few days before a final if you understand or care about football mate

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Oh yes definitely I can see the logic in that

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Mikus LFC
                      Participant

I think some football chairmen like to play safe and run the club like an accountant would do. That’s not that you want to advocate the opposite of that and spend money recklessly, but you really need a footballing man at the top who better knows who to invest in and then back comprehensively to become more successful on the pitch. It’s one reason why Abramovich is so successful. People will rightly point to the money he’s spent over the years, but he knows his football and who to bring in and back.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

Lucky, you can’t put Ole and Arteta in the same bracket. Ole, for his flaws, led the probably 4th best squad to 2nd in the league while Arteta was battling Palace, Leeds and Co in midtable. Utd wouldn’t appoint Conte and I wouldn’t want them to either.

No manager in world football has a better h2h against Pep than Ole. It’ll no doubt end in tears sooner rather than later but Ole has surpassed expectations, unlike Arteta.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Editor
                          Keymaster

I wonder whether Zidane to Spurs could happen. Assuming Poch stays at PSG, that might be the only high profile appointment left.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

You sure Ed? Tuchel has beaten Pep three times in the last three games including the biggest game of all the CL Final.๐Ÿ˜Š

I don’t think Lucky was comparing Arteta to Ole he was just making the point neither of them are probably the right fit at their Clubs and that there is a serial winner available on the market.

I don’t think Conte would go to Arsenal for the same reasons he’s cautious about going to Spurs and in respect of United as you said a while back Conte is a quick fix Manager probably not suited to United.

What a dog’s dinner Levy is making of everything though at Spurs and this started with the appointment of Mourinho who clearly wasn’t the right for Spurs from the start.

Spurs biggest problem is Levy he argued over pennies a few years back when Grealish was available at a knock down price and lost him that’s just the way he is.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Luckydestiny
                              Participant

Exactly Nine

Ed, Ole is a legend and he has done OK for you but how can you truly believe that for 3 years Manchester United have done the right thing by keeping him on because “there no one better available right now”! How are so many pundits and fans truly believing that it jus blows my mind.

Conte has 5 league titles in last 7 seasons as manager at 3 different clubs, but sure no one better for utd than ole right now!

Ed, if utd sit on their hands this summer and keep ole utd finish outside top 4 next season I am convinced.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Editor
                                Keymaster

Yes I’m sure Nine. He’s won the last 3 away games at City. Ole is 3 1 4 (LDW) while Tuchel is 4 1 4 ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.transfermarkt.com/pep-guardiola/bilanztrainer/trainer/5672

No other manager has won more than he’s lost against Pep, arguably the best manager in world football.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Editor
                                  Keymaster

Lucky, I have no doubt Conte would win trophies but at what cost? We made that mistake with Mourinho. The trophies were nice but there’s nothing left now he’s gone. No legacy, no young players. Conte was bringing in the likes of Ashley Young at Inter. No thanks. We have one of the youngest squads in the league and a very good U18 team which has been heavily invested in recently.

Just because Ole probably isn’t the right man doesn’t mean Conte is. A big no thanks from me. Would honestly rather stick with Ole than have Conte come in for a couple of years.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Luckydestiny
                                    Participant

Ed I’m just not getting it. If ole not the right man 3yrs is plenty enough at a club like utd.

Turn your nose up at conte if you want mate but imo with conte in charge you actually have a chance of winning the title, with ole you don’t. Suppose that’s not the aim for utd anymore any way.

Conte aside do you really believe that for 3 years it has been impossible to improve on ole? Even bridesmaid poch would be a massive step up and he would meet your main needs, good football, develop youth, win nothing.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Pagan
                                      Participant

Ed,

No other manager has won more than heโ€™s lost against Pep, arguably the best manager in world football.

I would suggest that you read the full list, thereโ€™s at least 4 other managers in there that have won more than theyโ€™ve lost, some have a 100% win record against him……Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

Lucky, I think you’ve missed my point. Winning is everything. Of course it is. But you also have to consider the long term future of the club. We made that exact mistake with Mourinho. The state of the squad now is 10x better than what Mourinho left it in.

Youth development isn’t a goal. It’s a strategy to build foundations with the aim of building a side capable of long term success. It’s something that’s always been a huge part of the club, together with winning. It can’t be one or the other. Right now Ole is making progress. To break that up for a quick fix of a trophy or two and then press reset again in 2 years is not sustainable. Chelsea have made it work because they have brilliant football people at board level and a great transfer strategy. The Utd manager is more of a manager than a head coach so a quick fix at a club like Utd is too destructive. That’s just my opinion. What we say has absolutely no effect on what happens, let’s face it ๐Ÿ˜„.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Editor
                                          Keymaster

I would suggest that you read the full list, thereโ€™s at least 4 other managers in there that have won more than theyโ€™ve lost, some have a 100% win record against himโ€ฆโ€ฆPagan

I deliberately left out those who have only played a couple of games against Pep Pagan ๐Ÿ˜. But yes, Claudio Ranieri, for instance has won 1 out of 1!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.