Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Hightown hope

Interesting point raised in one of the papers this morning…if Son’s disallowed offside goal yesterday against Swansea had been shown to actually be onside despite the linesman raising his flag would it have been allowed. The Swansea keeper saw the flag and stopped playing, Son then put the ball in the net, but surely the ref couldn’t allow the goal in this scenario, as the keeper had stopped.

The whole system is frankly pathetic and as Poch said after the game ‘I prefer it when the referee and assistant make mistakes than wait 3 or 4 minutes for a decision’. It really could destroy the game, and I don’t think that is too melodramatic to say that. I just don’t see how anyone can defend it.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      sean the sailor
      Participant

It’s terribke mate. Not working well at all

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Pagan
        Participant

HH, basic football, you play to the whistle, not the assistant’s flag

However, the interfering/not interfering with play is an odd one, if the players in you sight, then he interferes with your decision making. I’m not a fan of VAR, but if we have to have it, it needs to be for matters of fact, unfortunately some offside and handball decisions are opinion based so I’d go with the Stuart Pearce school of thought “if you’re offside you’re offside and if it hits your hand/arm it’s a handball….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

Play to the whistle. They’ll be carnage otherwise. VAR is not working, but it is only a trial at the moment.

Football seems to encourage more debate about VAR then other sports, which if used constructively is a good thing.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Hightown hope

Ok, so in the scenario above, as the offside was found to be correct, should Son have been booked for kicking the ball away and/or time wasting?

Alfie – if it is used constructively then it is a good thing – I agree, I guess…but my point is that it is not been used constructively, and they shouldn’t be doing this half-arsed experimentation where the officials, the players, the managers, and even more importantly the crowd don’t know what is going on. Somehow test in non league or test is somewhere and, if it’s a smooth, simple and incontrovertible system that works, then fine, introduce to the high profile professional game. I don’t have a problem with goal line technology, so I’m not a complete Luddite. That is instant and people can’t argue with the results. But at the moment VAR is causing more issues than it is resolving, and at the highest level of the game.. How can that be right?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Pagan
              Participant

HH, I’ve mentioned this before, it encourages players to ignore the whistle, and assistants not to flag as they can fall back on VAR to sort it out, yep currently it’s a mess….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

HH – I didn’t see the incident, so cannot comment on that specific incident, but in general if a player kicks the ball away after a free kick has been given then, yes, it’s a booking.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

But can you blame Son for putting the ball in the net if there is a chance that VAR will overturn the linesman’s decision? I confess that I didn’t see the incident yesterday either, so I’m only going on what I heard on the radio and have read in the papers. I don’t know if the ref blew for the offside or not, but, for the sake of argument, let’s say he did…so the keeper stops, but Son doesn’t and goes on and puts the ball in the net. VAR then says that the goal should have stood as the offside call by the linesman was incorrect. Is that goal then allowed? I genuinely don’t know, and surely that in itself is wrong. I’ve been watching football (and playing it) for 50 years, and I’m not completely stupid – I have understood the rules and laws of football all my life, and now suddenly I don’t. It’s shit, it really is!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

If the ref blows for offside, then the game stops and it’s offside. VAR is not there to correct offside calls.

If the ref didn’t blow, and Son scores then VAR can check that he was not offside.

VAR benefits the original call. It’s much harder to overturn the original decision, as it should only correct clear and obvious mistakes. Not subjective calls. It’s not being used that way, but that was the intention!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Pagan
                      Participant

HH, if the ref blows, then the game stops at that point. The way VAR is currently used the defending team stands to benefit more from it, which is contrary to the “benefit of doubt should go to the attacking team” mantra peddled by the governing bodies.

I think come the end of the current trial, the FA need to sit down with both clubs and fans to see how best to go forward…..Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

Out at a restaurant and John Motson is here – not part of out group, but we’re both here early – talking about VAR and he says that he spoke to the PL chairman at Cheltenham races recently and VAR will not be adopted in the PL.

Wait and see.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

Alfie… very interesting, also add’s weight to the “conspiracy theory” that the MIB’S are screwing it up on purpose…

Going back to the Son goal, pretty sure the ref didn’t blow until after is was in the net (might be wrong mind you, getting old!). As for the goalie stopping, he stopped because he saw the flag, not because the Ref blew, which would be the goalie’s cock-up!

Anyway, still don’t like it myself, now we’ve seen it in action a few times… taking far too long being my main issue with it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            whoisbeni
                            Participant

fckng hell – John Motson eats at Nandos!?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

i dont so much have a problem with the time it takes as i think in time that will improve. i have a problem with the fact that the refs dont know when to refer to it. the example above is perfect. if the ref blows then play stops and there is no checking. so if hes onside and its the wrong decision, too bad – benefit to the defenders! if he doesnt blow, son goes and scores, they then automatically refer to VAR because its a goal. if it is found son is half a millimeter offisde it gets rightly disallowed (offside is offisde doesnt matter by how far) – benefit defender. they are looking for reasons to disallow goals. the problem is it is only supposed to be used to overturn clear and obvious mistakes. would anyone actually think a marginally incorrect offside decision is clear and obvious? no. whilst you have humans officiating games, there will be human error and a lot of the time you can accept wrong decisions will be made. if you’re team is on the wrong side of it you’ll be pissed. if you’re team is on the right side of it you’ll accept it. the game doesnt need VAR. it needs better trained officials and better clarification of the laws of the game.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

To be honest, if Son was offside it was the hairs on his knee-caps, don’t think VAR proved it one way or the other (and I always thought the “benefit” was given to the attacker?).

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

The times have an article today which says that VAR will be tested at every PL match next season with an aim of being live the following season.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

John Motson was right – no VAR in the PL next season.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

Two German teams were brought back out at half time tonight so that one could take a penalty after VAR decided that the ref got the original call incorrect.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Chucky McChuckface
                                        Participant

Really? That’s a fooking joke if true…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

VAT should be limited to goal line technology only until the Refereeing standards improve or we are going to have these situations re visited at HT and FT repeatidly

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.