Home Community General Football The 2022/23 PL timetable to accomodate the Qatar World Cup

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

“The dates for the 2022/23 Premier League campaign have been announced.

Next season will be a campaign like no other, with Qatar’s 2022 World Cup set to be hosted in the winter months, meaning there will be a break from club football for around six weeks.

The final set of matches ahead of the World Cup will are to be played on the weekend of 12/13 November ahead of the call-up period for the tournament commencing on Monday 14th.

With the final on Sunday 18 December, the Premier League will restart on Boxing Day.”

Premier League 2022/23 season to start on 6 August 2022 and finish on 28 May 2023;

I suspect a few on how are going to struggle with the above.😊

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Never looked so forward to a Boxing day…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Duplicate

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Luckydestiny
          Participant

What a mental day to restart 🀣

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

Let the premier league continue while the World Cup is on. That’ll level things up a bit 😁

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

A disgrace to our national game

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

It’s the same for every country though Brian.

Staging it in Qatar was ridiculous and then the heat issue meant it had to be moved to the winter with all these reprecussions.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

Who gains out of it???
                    Who looses out over it????

The World Cup in a non football country is good only for those who can afford the “jollies” to go, no shortage of bums on seats in the elite areas

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    sean the sailor
                    Participant

Absolutely scandalous decisions it was allowed being held there in the first place

No doubt a lot of brown envelopes

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      threeps
                      Participant

A lot of objection to this world Cup but will you still watch it? I won’t. Of all the terrible decisions Fifa made awarding the most prestigious event to Qatar has to be the worst. I don’t care that it disrupts the football calender, it’s just football, but I do care about human rights. Fifa awards this as a vanity prize to a nation that suppresses women, imprisons people of the LGBTQ community and has used and killed slaves to build their stadiums for this event. Football is supposedly inclusive and it gets awarded to one of the most non-inclusive countries in the world. What was their advice for gay supporters, basically you can come but don’t do anything sexual or you’ll end up in jail. Absolutely disgusting.

Nope won’t watch a minute of it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

Totally agree with 3p’s… although I suspect I’ll end up watching it anyway despite my current intentions. I only hope there will be some edegree of subtle (or even not so subtle) protests from the players and/or fans (and not of the “get drunk and smash the country up” variety… although I doubt I’ll sulk about that either!) along the lines of rainbow laces and/or black armbands etc…

After all, I very much doubt they’ll cancel it once it’s started… over to you, players & Co.!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          threeps
                          Participant

I believe the Dutch, German and Norwegian teams have worn t-shirts in support of human rights before qualifying matches. Bigger statement would be for a team to refuse to go but I know that would never happen.

“get drunk and smash the country up” variety”

Is it not a dry country? Although when I spent 10 weeks there I had limited access to a bar but that was on a US controlled airbase.

Like the idea of rainbow laces of armbands.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by threeps.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

Qatar is a “dry” country but, as you mentioned, you can find it if you know where to look… πŸ˜‰

I was in Bahrain when this was bribed “awarded” and had a few “debates” with the locals about this at the time. Told them back then, you have idea how bad a crowd of several hundred thousand pissed-up football fans can be… and they pretty much told me I had no idea how “intolerant” Qatari police can be…

As for the “beer” side of things, I understand the plan was/is to have “party zones” dotted around the place but I think the stadiums are planning on being “dry”… no idea how that will work out mind you.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

I guess one of the only positives about holding the World Cup in Qatar is that it will be a tough place for so called football fans to misbehave in.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Rover
                                Participant

There’s always all kinds of drama or fascinating skills and excitement in the world cup so as usual I will watch as many games as possible. I certainly don’t admire Fifa itself or the orgsnisers, not a fan of them at all. It’s the players that we watching and I suppose Var and the officials will have its controversial decisions.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Rover.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Former Netherlands boss Frank de Boer, stated last year when he was Netherlands Manager that: “A lot of attention is now focused on whether we should go there if we qualify.

“It is right to ask that question. Everyone knows that what is happening there is not good.

“Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have said that if we go there, we can better promote the cause.”

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chucky McChuckface
                                    Participant

I can see the point the Frank made, the reasoning is sound, but it also comes across as a bit of “Get Out Of Jail Free” card… I think we all know every team that qualifies will show up, for sure, at the end of the day it would be very harsh on the players not too, I just hope everybody doesn’t roll over and pretend all the contraversial issues suddenly don’t exist.

I would be very disappointted if no level of “silent” protests occured…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      threeps
                                      Participant

Rainbow armbands and laces would be good as images of players wearing them would be broadcast all around the world. Images of the winning captain lifting the trophy with a rainbow armband would would be a strong message although there’s more to Qatari human rights issues than just those affecting the gay community.

What would be very bad but I can see it happening is if FIFA ban players doing such a thing.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by threeps.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Chucky McChuckface
                                        Participant

Yeah, I can see that happening… but that would be a huge “own-goal” for FIFA… (pun intended! πŸ™‚ )

I wonder if the players would have the “balls” to do it anyway, and I would certainly hope players from all countries would stand together on this issue, afterall what can FIFA actaully do? Kick a country out? Issue a fine? Afterall, they won’t have a tornament if nobody plays… FIFA need the players a lot more than the players need FIFA.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

Day dreaming a bit… thinking that if FIFA do start issuing warnings about “protests” and “upsetting” our hosts would could happen… and come to the conclusion I can think of a city that has about 10 x 40,000 plus stadiums, thousands of relatively empty hotels, even more pubs/bars/resturants, no football going on as the leagues have been cancelled… hmmm… only need to “invite” a dozen or so of the more historically important footballing nations… FIFA would be screwed!!!

Of course, not going to happen, everybody will go for some Christmas fun in the sun, and everything that’s disgusting about this World Cup will get brushed under the carpet!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.