Home Community General Football Mason Greenwood

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Alfie_1
    Participant

Man Utd have released a statement to say that they are working with him to progress his future away from the club.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Alfie_1
      Participant

The club statement:

Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.

Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.

All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        sean the sailor
        Participant

I don’t get that statement Alfie? If they have evidence that the video is a lie then why not keep him? are the mistakes he made? There were pictures and a video of domestic abuse. Utd say he made “mistakes”

FairPlay to utd. Really FairPlay but that statement contradicts what they have found out from their investigation and the action they have taken. I think it’s the best tvibg for the club but have they really condemned domestic abuse ?it’s bizarre .

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          sean the sailor
          Participant

Sorry I re-read – absolutely right decision in my view well done utd

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Utmost Respect for Manchester United after this. This right action taken and I’m sure a vast majority of football supporters across the nation will be right behind this.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

Right decision. Huge decision by the club, writing off a player with that kind of value. Sounds like fan sentiment caused them to do a u-turn. Well done Man Utd fans and well done Man Utd. Very intrigued to see who takes a gamble on him.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Luckydestiny
                Participant

So he is transfer listed then?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

What will happen now to Greenwood, given the club have said they have a duty of care towards him?

Kaveh Solhekol: What the club haven’t said, for instance, is that they were terminating his contract. He still has two years left on the deal he signed in 2021. He’s not being sacked, he’s still a Man Utd employee.

But they have decided mutually he’s not going to play for them again. Arnold makes the point at the end of his letter that he will help Greenwood to find a new club.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Luckydestiny
                    Participant

Two things seem fairly certain;

1) Man utd, after 6 months of investigation, have found no grounds to terminate Greenwood’s contract.
                      2) The vast majority of utd fans would not accept he wear a utd shirt again.

If those points are certain then I think utd haven’t really had a decision to make, they are doing the only thing they can, which is try to offload him as soon as possible.

Until he agrees terms elsewhere, utd are paying him.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Editor
                      Keymaster

They’re still paying him because, as you said, they have very little grounds to sack him. Of course they’ve had a decision to make. Considering we’re badly lacking a striker, it would have been very easy, considering their findings noted in the statement, to keep playing him and it would eventually go away. Remember the outrage at Zouma kicking a cat? Terry being racist? Partey? Tons of outrage at the beginning then people tend to get on with their lives, particularly here given the findings they refer to.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        sean the sailor
                        Participant

But what are the findings Ed? Is the video a lie? It’s there for all to see. If it’s fabricated or a lie then he should be staying. I just don’t how this can be seen any other way ad the audio is clear. They say “mistakes” what are they?

FairPlay to utd. Last week going by the athletic and utds previous statement, it looked like he was coming back but after the backlash, they made the right decision.

We saw the pictures , are they not real? Domestic abuse is incomparable to kicking a cat and all your other examples. What’s tvis new evidence?

If the new evidence , audio , pictures not telling the real story thrn he should be still with the club. So are utd only getting rid cause of the backlash? I’m not having a go, I’m just trying to understand it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Luckydestiny
                          Participant

“Very easy”, not sure about that Ed.

why are you so sure the club made the right decision?

Are you saying Greenwood should not be employed at all, or just not employed by your club?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Alfie_1
                            Participant

Sean, I think they are saying the audio is cut from a larger audio recording and the full audio recording did not back the charge.

I also think they are saying he was charged with attempted rape, and the full audio recording doesn’t back that.

They are saying the pictures of the black eye, split lip etc had an explanation which didn’t involve greenwood.

They are saying his girlfriend asked for the charges to be dropped 16 months ago. That the family were part of the investigation and agreed that the evidence did not back the charges.

Obviously as he was back with the girlfriend then most of that would not be a surprise, whilst no proof of innocence.

I think the main thing is that they cannot prove the allegations.

I assume Greenwood has admitted to being a cunt, and having behavioural issues. But as the girlfriend wanted the charges dropped, said there was a innocent explanation for the pictures, provided the full audio (which I assume whilst not pleasant hearing showed he didn’t rape or attempt to rape her), there was not much the club could do.

I think that anyone caught up being the focus of the audio and pictures would accept they had made ‘mistakes’.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              sean the sailor
                              Participant

Ok thanks Alfie that makes it a bit clearer. The audio is clear and I get were you are coming from.

So he the pictures were nothing to do with him? So someone else did that?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Editor
                                Keymaster

He should not be employed by my club Lucky. Utd is too big a club for him to rebuild his career at, if indeed that’s what he’s able to do. At a club like Utd, everything is magnified and if he has any chance of continuing within football, he needs to go somewhere where there’s less pressure and scrutiny.

Sean, my point isn’t comparing those cases, it’s simply making the point that there was loads of outrage about all those cases but they all got on with their careers and nobody cares any longer. Who knows what Utd mean in their statement. They’re seemingly privy to some information that we’re not. As you say, the videos were clear as day. Yet here he is raising a baby with this girl. They spoke to the girl’s mother rather than directly to her. As someone with a daughter, I refuse to believe the mother will have covered for him. I just can’t grasp why any mother would protect him unless they know something we don’t. It’s all really odd. I’m just pleased Utd have listened to the fans and made the right decision, more so because we badly need him on the pitch.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Alfie_1
                                  Participant

I agree attempted rape is not the same as kicking a cat, but it is comparable with rape. Partey is charged with rape and still plays for Arsenal. Greenwood was charged with a lessor offence of attempted rape – plus assault and coercive behaviour.

Whether we accept the explanations or not, he has not been found guilty of anything in a court and the CPS dropped charges as new evidence came to light which they felt meant they couldn’t get a conviction.

He therefore deserves the chance to play again, but will be tainted. The air of suspicion won’t go away from him.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

Thanks lads, I was just trying to understand the utd statement etc.

No idea what’s going on with Partey? Is that still ongoing?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Nike19
                                      Participant

Summed up perfectly by Goldstein. You have to take the attitude and a thought process in your mind as a Parent. Whether or not Greenwood was cleared, this is not just your average everyday domestic.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Alfie_1
                                        Participant

Sean, I don’t know what the girlfriend said about the photos, but I assume she has said someone else did that, or it was make up etc. Whether whatever excuse she gave was the truth or not is something else.

I think, and my memory may be wrong, but she didn’t release the audio or photos originally, someone else did. So that might have helped her explain them away as she can say it was all a misunderstanding.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Alfie_1
                                          Participant

Richard Arnold released a statement which included:

“We were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online.”

Not clear, but I guess they couldn’t prove the story which they were given was not true.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.