Home Community General Football Liverpool this season

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I really don’t know what to make of Liverpool’s chances this season. Apart from Sala (who admittedly has looked good so far in pre-season) they don’t seem to have added much quality to the side. On the other hand, they took apart Bayern last night albeit it was obviously only pre-season.

I really feel they’re the big unknown of the top sides. It wouldn’t surprise me were they to finish anywhere from 1st to 8th. You just can’t predict what they’ll do. Getting VVD over the line (& keeping Coutinho) could be the defining moment for them. Either way, I can’t wait for the season to start now

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

Yep, agreed.

Salah is someone who no one else going for the title would have wanted, so it will be interesting to see who he turns out.

Can’t see them signing VVD or Kieta though. They may even struggle to spend money brought in should Coutinho leave.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

Morning, fellas. I think Salah could surprise everybody. When we were linked with him, I was somewhat underwhelmed, just remembering his time at Chelsea. However his stats at Roma particularly last season were outstanding, scoring 19 goals I believe, with a good number of assists also. He is very, very quick, and with him on one side and Mane on the other, we won’t be short of pace in the team.

Having said all that, another 4th place, getting in to and then out of a Champions League group, and maybe a domestic cup would be an excellent season for us. And VVD will be at Anfield by the end of the month!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Hightown hope

Course, if Coutinho goes…!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Welcome to the site Hightown Hope. Good to get see a Liverpool fan on board. Feel free to spread the word amongst your fellow fans. I’ll happily do club pages if the demand is there.

I didn’t know he’d scored that many at Roma. He looked completely lost at Chelsea but the signs suggest he’s a completely different player now. Mourinho gets rightly slated for discarding Lukaku and De Bruyne too early at Chelsea. It may well be that Salah is soon added to that list, assuming it was Mourinho who sold him(?).

Are you that confident on VVD? Wasn’t the message from Liverpool that they were dropping all interest in him earlier in the summer after the tapping up claims? He’ll be a big, big signing for your lot if so.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

i think salah will be a decent signing. nothing to do with his performances at roma but i think he definitely suits liverpools style. he is rapid and appears to have end product, but then again lamela tore it up in italy and struggled a lot in the prem.

personally i think liverpool will do well to finish top 4 but not ruling it out. spurs will struggle at wembley and need a bit more luck with injuries this season. city united and chelsea will take top 3 and then its between liverpool spurs and arsenal for 4th.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

Can’t see how VVD is a £60m player tbh. He seems very much over hyped.

React below 👇

Loading spinner

VVD certainly wasn’t a £60m player last summer but this summer all sense of perspective has gone out of the window. Liverpool need a top centreback more than they need £60m so it’s hard to argue he isn’t worth it in that sense

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

VVD will be a big improvement on lovren but i still dont rate him compared to the top centre backs in the league. however, i can genuinely see southampton not letting him go….to liverpool anyway.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

I can’t see Southampton selling him either, especially to Liverpool.

The TV money means teams don’t need to sell and they were close to reporting Liverpool over tapping him up earlier. If they make another move for him they’ll probably report them – unless they use that to hike the price up further.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

I’m surprised at Hightown’s optimism on VVD as I also that that deal was dead now, at least in terms of Southampton accepting anything at least remotely reasonable price-wise. They definitely need someone to come in and replace Lovren though so it will be interesting to see who they get. Michael Keane probably would have been a good signing for them, despite him being an old Utd boy

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

The Times this morning reporting that Chelsea are set to rival Liverpool for VVD and are offering £50mil. Is this potentially one of those where one club gets a discounted price on another club’s target allowing the selling club to make a point about conduct etc?

If so, Chelsea would be doing quite well out of that strategy this summer, having already seemingly benefited from bad blood between Real and Utd by getting Morata for a fair bit less than what Utd were reportedly offering.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Hightown hope

You may be right aabout me being over optimistic about VVD, but I believe he wants to play for us, we are reportedly putting more money on the table than Chelsea, and so why would Soton take a £10m hit just to stop him playing for Liverpool…seems a very expensive way of making a point!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

Hey hightown!

It’s hard to say what Liverpool might do this season. if we can get Van Dijk and hold onto Coutinho we might be able to mount a challenge. If we can keep Coutinho but not sign Van Dijk or a quality CB, then we’ll suffer with only the 4 and could fail to qualify for the CL next season.

it’s funny how much difference that one signing could do for us but between Matip and Lovren, there will be about a half a season worth of PL starts due to injuries for another CB and if that falls to Klavan and Gomez then we’re going to be compounding some problems that we’re already having.

Of course losing Coutinho would be devastating also but I feel that we’re in more control there as it’s late on in the window and Coutinho seems like a decent professional. If he really wanted to go he’d have got the ball rolling a lot sooner than now.

So, I’m going to pretend that we get van Dijk or some other decent CB and also keep Coutinho. I don’t like to predict before a ball has been kicked but Salah looks fantastic and with the improvements in attack, Klopp was also seemingly improving things at the back as last season went on so, I’m predicting that we will get at least 4th again. If we can get past Hoffenheim and into the Cl propper then I think that we could go far in it, since Klopp’s Liverpool seems to do well against teams whoa re trying to outplay you. . and that’s what we’re more likely to face, as we’ll get a tough group.

First post out of the way!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Orbane
                              Participant

Right, hello you lot. This transfer window for Liverpool has been the same old as in past windows in that we seem to make our business too public, too convoluting and with too much hype.

VVD is a problem of the clubs’ making. Keita? I think the club got too confident and in this I think Klopp got too cocky himself thinking that this could get done easily.

How many windows has it been in which the club management screwed up in how they went about the transfer business. Coutinho alleged transfer for all the noise coming out of the tabloids is a non-starter for the fans. We do NOT get pass the potential to real contender stage by selling players like him. Suarez was the last straw. Anymore and FSG will have hell with the fans globally.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Orbane.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Hightown hope

Orbane and Mak – welcome!!

I think and hope that you’re right in that FSG must be aware of the potential backlash if they let Couts go. Surely he will only go if and when he starts agitating for a move. I really think it would be a disaster for us if he went now, with so little time till the end of the window, the season starting this weekend and, of course, with Lallana being out for 3 months. Hendo just needs his heel to play up again and we are seriously understaffed in that part of the field.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Editor
                                  Keymaster

Welcome to the site Orbane and Makaveli. The homepage is the general football forum then you find the Liverpool site at footydebate.com/liverpool More club sites come soon. Just testing the waters with Liverpool one first.

It’s going to be a crucial last few weeks of the window for Liverpool. My suspicion is that Coutinho deal is done and that Liverpool have asked to delay the announcement until they’ve secured their replacement(s) so as to not be overcharged. Is the Keita deal all but dead now?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Orbane
                                    Participant

Thanks. The Hoffenheim game will tell if Couts deal is done. I doubt it though and the only way the management can appease the fans is to get VVD, Keita and 1 other star player to directly replace Coutinho. At this late juncture that is basically asking for trouble may even push Can out the exit door as well.

It will be an outright mess for Klopp. I just can’t see FSG being as insane as that. But one never knows.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

Barca are a huge draw, and Coutinho will know that if he doesn’t leave now Barca will move on to another target instead.

Despite all of the money floating around the PL it has been hard for everyone to sign players.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Oz Yob
                                        Participant

G’day all, I was Aussie on team talk originally but when it changed I was Number8wasgr8. I had not posted for ages as I hate the off season & the rubbish that goes with it & had a death in the family so haven’t really been interested in any case.
                                          On the upcoming season I think Liverpool will go very similar to last season in that we will start strong until we get a couple of injuries then our lack of depth will be exposed as the season rolls on. I think we put all our eggs into getting Keita & VVD & doubt we will even get VVD. I hope we do but regardless I think our squad is lacking quality in depth.
                                          Unfortunately I can see the 2 Manchester clubs fighting for the title & spurs, Arsenal & Liverpool main contenders for the other top4 spots. Both have strengthened where they needed & I can’t see anyone challenging them 2 at the top.
                                          Anyway, thank God the footy is back this weekend, yeehaa.
                                          Take care all.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.