Home Community General Football VAR Megathread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Nine called for it and damn, why didn’t we do this before! here we are now, the fastest thread to make it to 10 pages πŸ˜€

VAR and related discussion begins…… nnnnnnNOW!

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

Lol, Yes πŸ˜€ πŸ™‚

Bet’s this will be used tonight? Ha πŸ˜€

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

Unfortunately I think between the 2 matches ahead, it’s more likely than not. That is sad.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Mikus LFC
          Participant

Neville making the same point I was saying the other day – the on field referees needs to be more assertive rather than just following Stockley Park’s thoughts. It’s the best way to turn the tide on all this. Leadership is desperately needed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Anonymous

Not a peno.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

It was scary at one point. Just for once this season, something came good. I don’t underestimate this conversation and point because things really have gone against us, and people have laughed at us with no real care or measure.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

To be fair, VAR corrected would have been a costly penalty for us tonightg and there’s obviously no argument against it.

This is an odd experience, appreciating VAR but I figured if we’re going to say the bad, we should acknowledge the good.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

well nil, VAR and the new rules have taken 4 points from us this season. I mean, in my opinion. others dont agree and thats fine I guess. VAR gave us an important call though when we were only 1-0 up, which might have led us down a completely different score-line. so look, credit where its due but Im not going to fool myself into thinking they are working the bugs out or anything.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Pagan
                    Participant

I’ve had a watch of MOTD2 and seen the β€œpenalty” incident, there is no doubt that VAR correctly changed the decision. What I did notice is no one appealed for a penalty, and I think players on both sides were a little surprised……Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Mikus LFC
                      Participant

And little was made of just how well Mane pulled out of that just in time because if it was damn close in slow-mo, it must have been even more impressive in real time.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        maverick1973
                        Participant

Still cant believe Chelsea were not awarded one against us,I know 9s says we cant do anything about that,but we can be fecking mad about it.
                          The stupid pen against Brighton,WBA,and one not given to WBA.I cant stand it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Pagan
                          Participant

Mikus, to be fair to both of them they both pulled out, if it were cricket and the Wolves did as he did and didn’t say it was no penalty, then there would be a great deal of tutting going on….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

I didnt see the Brighton V Southampton match but they are saying that the peno was controversial.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

I repeat there is nothing wrong with var, it’s the officials behind the camera and on the field who are not astute enough to make the correct decisions. Like last night yet again.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Pagan
                                Participant

I’ve had a bit of a think about VAR and why we’re having the problems, for me we have to step back about 100 years or so.

The laws of the game were written and modified for an organic game, where the officials took into consideration the conditions and dynamics of the game. His job was to make sure the game was played in his opinion within the laws of the game and not to let it get out of hand.

Fast forward to now, we’ve had a few minor changes to the laws of the game I’ve the last 20 years or so but the laws of the game have remained pretty much the same. We now have VAR and we seem at least in the Premier League, to have a myriad of problems, this to me seems to be because we have taken the organic officiating out of the game and tried to make the laws of game prescriptive instead. If this hasn’t been possible as in the case of handball we’ve changed the laws of the game.

For me this it’s where it’s gone wrong, instead of changing the laws of the game the authorities should have written how VAR should be used within the spirit of the game sticking to how the laws of the game were written to allow a free flowing game adapted to the conditions and tempo of each individual game. Yes we’ll still get a bit of inconsistency, but hopefully it removes the very obvious mistakes and we live with the odd dubious decisions…..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Brian blue
                                  Participant

I have to agree with that Moos, nothing wrong with VAR but plenty wrong with how it is finalised and the stupidity of rules that are changing the face of football….not for the better in my opinion Players now play two kind of games, one is football when they get on with it and the other is how to win penalties and free kicks not how you get them. Refs are “easy meat” now I wish we could just watch one Ref stand up and be counted and put some of these players in there place and tell them to get on with the game.Any mass protest against decisions like we see a few red cards to be brandished, after a few weeks maybe they will get the message. Unfortunately we do not have Refs to day capable of common sense decisions and they are fooled too many times, we now rely on technology….wonderful is it not

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Mikus LFC
                                    Participant

There’s been a feeling for many years that “we’ve got to do something!” over some of the wrong decisions that have been awarded, given that we now have better more widespread video technology and communications available. This has been driven by several different groups. But the “we’ve got to do something!” mentality nearly always produces disastrous results because it is based primarily on fear – fear of an injustice, even a minor one, being committed. So it was inevitably going to be utilised to the nth degree and this is the mentality that results from such a thing. As with other things in human history, the pendulum always swings too far the other way initially, so we’ll have to just wait for it to swing back a bit. That may take some time.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Adlab
                                      Participant

Very profound Mikus but I agree with your sentiment. Too many sledgehammers etc.
                                        VAR is overused and for idiotic decisions EVEN IF they may be technically correct, like a finger offside.
                                        The rules should change so idiotic decisions can be avoided? The offside is easiest. Any part of the body in line is level and onside.
                                        Handball. Not if a players back is to the ball. And so on.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Pagan
                                        Participant

There’s a moment in the original Jurassic Park film when Ian Malcolm, played by Jeff Goldblum, says emphatically, β€œYour scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

Think that sums up VAR…..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

Football should not and never be a manipulated game. What we are seeing now maybe part of the “new era” but it does not make it right or even improve the game. Then again, who are the benefactors? I was also sad to read to day that a number of ex leading Rugby players are going to take legal action against the injuries they have received. It is sad to hear this but the flood gates will open in other sports as well, again, who are the benefactors? Well in this case the legal profession who will make more out of it than anyone else.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.