Home Community General Football Worst signing in history of football?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Luckydestiny
    Participant

Chelsea premier league games played since Enzo joined.

W15 D6 L9 without Enzo
      Win rate 50%
      Draw 20%
      Loss rate 30%

W14 D14 L18 with Enzo
      Win rate 30%
      Draw 21%
      Loss rate 39%

We Win more, but Draw and lose less without him in side.

We Win less, but Draw and lose more often with him in the side.

107m. 8 year contract. We are forced to sell a loved homegrown player to cover a fraction of Enzos fee.

If you can think of a worse signing let me know 🤣

Love him to be the worldie we wanted him to be, maybe after surgery and with new manager he can be, but so far, very worrying.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Luckydestiny
      Participant

Without Enzo playing

W15 D6 L9
        Win rate 50%
        Draw 20%
        Loss rate 30%

With Enzo playing

W14 D14 L18
        Win rate 30%
        Draw 30%
        Loss rate 39%

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Check this website, great for getting footie data that would be a nightmare to work out from scratch, just ask it questions

https://www.statmuse.com/

Compare these stats

While Lampard was at Chelsea, we Won 63% of games when he played. The games he didnt play, we only won 49%.

Compare that to Clearlakes poster boy, we Win 30% with, 50% without!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          sean the sailor
          Participant

Antony os the worst signing in my opinion

Chap is absolutely brainless. Hes an absolute gob shite of the highest order. He has been absolutely shocking.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Luckydestiny
            Participant

Yes Antony was a bad one too Sean, maybe not as bad as some others, but yes cant argue he not one of the worst.

Just checked him on that website.

Utd win 48% of games he played in, and 68% when he doesn’t, last two seasons prem games only.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

I’m gonna chuck in N-Dumb here… no idea about win % etc. with or without him… and one of the most talented ballers I’ve seen with the ball at his feet… but an attitude that stinks worse than Buffy’s knickers… still ended being 50 plus million transfer and about 50 million in wages flushed down the drain… can’t even give him away…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                threeps
                Participant

I’m not convinced stats always tell the story correctly. Enzo is not a bad footballer I think that’s clear, but maybe he was just put into a system that didn’t utilise his talents. I think a new manager could revitalise him.

For sure he cost far more than he’s worth and can understand the frustration of selling Mount (assume that’s the homegrown talent referred) to cover him. But Enzo didn’t make those decisions, that’s down to the senior management at the club who have rewritten the guide on how not to successfully run a football club.

Agree with Sean, Anthony is abysmal. If you’re going to be cocky, arrogant and an all round bit of a tw@t then at least back it up with talent but he lacks that. For the fee paid he has to be one of the worst signings in the PL.

Good to have you back Lucky.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Editor
                  Keymaster

Yeah really good to see you back Lucky and hope you’re well. Antony and Enzo both good shouts but there’s probably a lot of recency bias going on there. I’m sure there have been some worse ones going further back. Pepe was a shocker for Arsenal. Keita an awful signing for Liverpool. Grealish at £100mil still looks crazy to me, albeit he’s been decent enough at times. Mudryk has to be in with a shout too. Caicedo I still think can come good but he’s looked very average at times this season.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Personally I love Antony… makes me think if every Footydebate poster was combined into 1 footballer, you’d end up with a very confused moron with egotistical problems and a strong belief he’s smarter than he really is… you would end up with Antony!

(And, yes, I’m including myself!)

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

Keita certainly didn’t have the impact we wanted ed. Injured far to much but he wasnt even touch antony. Keita had sone great games gor us. Barcalona away. Many far worse then keita liverpool Signed. Id compare keita signings to maguire. Both serious letdown with but much worse out there.
                        Andy carroll! Disaster of a signing. We have bought some real shite over the years and keita was our biggest expensive letdown under klopp. Downing 20 m eas dreadful.

Pogba-89m after been let go for no fee and was a complete nuisance and just the money incolved and he eas just so ooor. An absolute waste of talant. He had everything

Totally agree on mudyrk. Dreadful. Fefo think caicdo will come good

Ah trying to think of some more!theres loads

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        threeps
                        Participant

Bebe? Danny Drinkwater? I can’t remember him but read that Ricky Alvarez for Sunderland was bad.

Pepe was bad but I don’t think he had an attitude problem, just a talent one. Keita was known for his bad attitude in Germany it was a surprise Klopp and his team didn’t pick up on it or they just ignored it.

For me it’s not just about talent or lack of that makes a bad signing, it’s the ones that have a detrimental effect on the team. Be that bad attitude, exorbitant costs or tactically misfits usually combined with a lack of talent.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

I’m sure I read somewhere Milan were trying to get rid of Onana for something like 7 million when YooUtd came knocking… I’m sure there’s somebody with a dislocated shoulder when that hand got ripped off!!

We can also chuck Soldado and Jenssan in there too… maybe not the biggest transfer fee’s in comparssion, but most certainly did not get the returns expected… shame, they both seemed “nice” guys, and both gave 100%…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            sean the sailor
                            Participant

Ye spot on threeps.

Pogpa used to do some silly things. Posting stuff on instagram aswell. There was always chat about him

Look at him. He had absolutely everything to be world class. On his day like city away, he was really unreal but just a complete waste of talant

Antony just brings far to much noise

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Editor
                              Keymaster

Yeah it’s important here to differentiate between just terrible signings and which have been the biggest waste of money. Pogba, for instance, wasn’t a terrible signing. He just didn’t live up to the hype or his fee. But he was excellent at times. We’ve signed far, far worse players, that’s for sure.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                sean the sailor
                                Participant

Pogba was bad signing at 89m ed. He left for free and absolutely never fulfilled his potential at utd. Not the worst signing, no way, but huge money and he never fully delivered.

Far to much focus on his antics off the pitch

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Alfie_1
                                  Participant

Anthony has to be up there, Lukaku too (nearly £100m for Chelsea and spent more time out on loan), Kepa was a terrible signing for them too. Pepe at Arsenal. Too many bad signings across all teams.

Be interesting to see the amount of money Utd write off this summer when letting players go.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

Ye alfie, good call on lukaku. He was unreal at wba and Everton. I hated playing againest him.

What is it with really good players just not finding form when they move to the big clubs.

I remember watching lovren and ge looked excellent at Southampton then came to us and was riddled with mistakes.

What is happening at utd now happened at liverpool for years. Buying good players for big money who just played terrible

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Mikus LFC
                                      Participant

Torres & Shevchenko to Chelsea? 29 goals in 158 appearances between them for a total outlay of £80 million at the time (probably around £200 million in todays market).

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

Yeah Torres a good shout Mikus

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Luckydestiny
                                          Participant

Nice to see you all lads.

Threeps yeah it’s only one data point, as is any statistic. Never going to tell the whole story. But this particular stat re Enzo is very telling in my opinion, as someone who for 18 months has been adamant we are way better when Enzo doesn’t play. That’s obviously not how you want to feel about someone who is the poster boy of new owners and cost so much. I think the data is significant enough to demonstrate this.

Hi Ed, certainly recency bias at play, but that also added to by the way fees have inflated over last 10 years. Going by just normal inflation. Alan shearers 15m fee to Newcastle in 96 would only be 30m in today’s money, but we all know full well a prime shearer would cost well in excess of 100m in today’s market.

As bad as players like bogarde and Drinkwater were for example, the money some of the players cost these days means some of the most recent signings are always going to seem worse.

P.s totally agree re pogba, never the player you wanted him to be on consistent basis, and so and waste of money in that sense, but it’s not like he was terrible, far from it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.