Home Community Liverpool Why Wait?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’ve mentioned it already once or twice but I thought this warrented a new thread. This goes beyond 1 or 2 players but is a look at Liverpools overall transfer strategy and it’s implications for the current campaign.

I am of course talking about the way that we are developing a habit of delaying the arrival/signing of players that we need now, for a window or 2’s time in the future. I’ll admit that it is really great to not be complaining about the quality of the players coming in and to some degree, you could argue that there are cases of us waiting to get “our man”.

Last season we needed Salah in January, yes we were all calling for other players but you know what I mean, we needed a quality winger/attacker in and paid the price for not acting. We barely scraped over the line ahead of Arsenal for a CL place and who knows, maybe if we didn’t, Salah might be at the Emerates now, in a similar move to the way Sanchez once chose them over us. Yes, we did make it into the CL and it was a fantastic achievement to pull it back like that after such a horrific January/Febuary.

We all know Van Dijk should have been signed in the summer along with Keita and/or another top class arrival but we “only” ended up with Salah. Ok, he turns out to be a lot better than I expected but after all the talk of us having huge sums of money, it was really a case of us giving up on a title challenge this season, before a ball was even kicked and I’m never comfortable with that.

Klopp doesn’t rate Mignolet and this has been obvious for a long long time now but nothing has been done here. We’ve just sold Coutinho for an insane amount of money (£102m up front), signed Van Dijk (installments over the next good few years). We hve money to spend and it seems that we’re waiting until the summer, on all positions. I can understand waiting if Monaco are holding out for £90m, this is ridiculous and they’ll be lucky to get £60m, really. . but if Klopp doesn’t rate Mignolet then we must have a long list drawn up over the last 2 years. There must be a keeper that Klopp would much rather have than Mignolet, who is available right now. . . especially when he’s playing Karius instead of him now.

Karius is absolutely useless keeper. It’s like he lacks the basic instincts or something.

Can we stop looking over at the green grass and get the players that we need, in the windows that we need them in order to maximise our development? Keita can’t be done and that’s a shame, I’m not calling for us to be silly with our money.

I do think we’re going in the right direction, before people get the wrong idea about my concerns but Klopp will be expected to mount a title challenge next season. If we can continue to improve this term then 2nd is a possibility but as we improve at the back, we weaken the midfield. It won’t be easy. Maybe Coutinho never fit into Klopp’s ideal setup and that’s why we’re not directly replacing him. Perhaps Oxlade has always been the guy earmarked to take his place in the teamsheet, even if his skillset is different.

Sorry for the wall of text but what are your lads?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Mak, affordability and FFP probably mate.

Prior to the sale of Coutinho according to “This is Anfield” including the Keita fee Klopp had spent circa £170m net. The Coutinho money puts Klopp’s spending at £20m net currently based on the “This is Anfield”figures.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

So if it’s ‘only’ £20m net, I can’t believe we can’t spend some more! I’m with you, Mak. Karius really concerns me. A choice between Migs and Karius, and it would be Migs every time. But that says more about Karius than it does about Migs.

We have got ourselves in to a good position and now with Karius confirmed as our No. 1, we are risking blowing it in all 3 competitions that we are still in. I suppose Klopp’s argument is that there is no-one available that he really wants, and I guess his record in the market has earned him our trust. But from the outside, I’m with you Mak, it looks a no brainer

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

I’ll split this into 3 subjects related to this:

1) The Waiting: The speculations and the uncertainties in between a player leaving a club to reach his ‘destination’ club basically drives one bananas in an event of trying to bring in the individual sooner.

Leipzig are going to try and keep the Padlock on Kieta as much as they can. But clearly, beyond what has already been agreed in principle, anything beforehand means a price to pay. Sadly that’s the way the footballing world works.

It’s could be argued upon Kieta being brought earlier could provide us with a luxury of strength and a well-balanced squad. However, that comes with a price. That region of 13-20 million effectively is a lot of money and money that can be saved and used wisely.

I felt we paid over the odds regarding Van Dijk. He was an underlying goner (and Liverpool bound), but Southampton deliberately held out and fair play to them from a business point of view because they squeezed a small chunk of an extra few million out of us (from his original estimated worth).

Summer 2016 was a fruitful transfer window for us on Player Sales. We generated good business on examples of Jordan Ibe and Joe Allen. Giving in to ransom would undo all the good work and from a book-balancing point of view we need to fill FSG with confidence that we’re clever when in comes to spending and we’re not just frittering away millions like loose change.

2) From point 1), All the recent drooling over Sanchez brings me to my belief in always drafting two, three, four different transfer targets. I know that’s easy to say and contradictory given our hearts set on Van Dijk and Kieta. But have more targets enables the whole concept to be more open-minded and above all, healthy. Loosing out on a target means that we’re not dwelling and spraying over us any negativity because as far as recent history goes, we’re capable of bringing in top quality.

3) Just a final point regarding the Defence. I felt under Rodgers, this was masked with our staggering attacking ability. After Suarez leaving and Sturridge being plagued with injury, our true colours were unearthed.

I genuinely believe now, we are more closer to finally forming a stable unit than ever since probably 2010 which is a long time and taking on board the turmoil of ownership and managerial changes to date.

A radical change to bring in a Top Quality Keeper is needed and that would promote the perfect fit of a defensive unit that’s been longing to being addressed as mentioned in reality for a considerable amount of time.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Anonymous

Exactly Hightown, we’re risking it all by putting Karius back in there. I dunno if you guys remember the discussions when Klopp last dropped Migs and Karius cost us at least 5 points. I nearly had a meltdown because Migs was totally needlessly dropped. I really have a problem with people hating Migs. He would have been SLAUGHTERED had he let that first Man City goal in. Mignolet made an equally poor howler against Arsenal but if you look at the amount of howlers he has made in the last 18 or so months, it’s way down from what it was when we first signed him. He’s still being punished for his previous crimes in my mind.

I must be mad because I think Mignolet is good enough to be in a title winning team. It really worried me to think about Karius in the CL, against a real team but now we have him in every match from here on in. As happy as I am about the way that we’re developing/playing, I can’t help but think that Karius’s poor abilities are going to cost us big.

As for Sanchez, I don’t want us to sign him. He wouldn’t get into our first team. Although it would be fantastic to have his kind of quality to give Klopp the chance to rotate and keep our very high standards in attack, he’s too expensive for that kind of thing and would be expecting to play every match.

As for our own lads, I hear that Real are sniffing around Salah. I don’t know if it’s true or not but I think the lad has already communicated the type of level that we can expect him to play at and it is above what we signed him for. He’s a revelation and we need to get in there and offer him a huge new contract. Yes, it will be expensive and maybe hurt our attacking recruitment but. . . it’s worth it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Mak, it seems Klopp has written Mignolet off now given that he’s dedicated to playing Karius until the end of the season.Mignolet will sit on the bench between now and the end of the season bar injury and be gone in the Summer.

It makes sense really Mignolet isn’t good enough if Liverpool are to have a genuine title challenge next season. Klopp obviously thinks Karius might be and he’s given him until the end of the season to prove that personally I’m doubtful and it’s a big call from Klopp because if Karius messes up it could cost Liverpool a CL place.

But it does give Klopp a proper chance to assess Karius and if he falls short then Liverpool will go out and sign a quality Keeper in the Summer.

Sanchez wouldn’t be good enough to get into Liverpool’s team? I guess it’s all about opinions mate personally I think Sanchez would walk into any team in the top 6.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

That’s what kinda irks me about the keeper situation. Klopp has never rated Mignolet and Karius is obviously just not up to it, at all. If this is the case then why are we waiting on getting a keeper in? We do well in transfers in one way but jesus, we wait for them. Maybe it’s a case of not being able to have it both ways but it’s frustrating all the same. karius is on very low wages though in comparison to Migs, Klopp should be checking if he’s good enough to be a number 2 keeper. I’m not convinced he is even at that level for us though.

As for Sanchez, ya maybe he would start but remember that you’re replacing one of Mane, Firmino or Salah with him. In our system, I think he would find it difficult to take any of those 3 out of the first 11.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Mak, Firmino for instance could drop back into a midfield role and Sanchez could play through the middle you can never have too many great creative players and Liverpool have just lost one of them.

But it’s all a mute point now mate only United and City could afford Sanchez and he’s signing for United.

Like you I think Karius might be a weak link for Liverpool between now and the end of the season but Klopp is giving him a chance after finally deciding Mignolet’s not up to it to see whether Karius might be if not he will go out and sign a quality Keeper this Summer.

Why not now is probably down to Klopp wanting to give Karius a chance to see whether he can cut it and the Keeper Klopp might want not bring in probably isn’t available until the Summer.

Plus if Karius can come through and step up and be Liverpool’s No 1 Klopp can divert that £30m plus to other areas he might want to strengthen.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    maverick1973
                    Participant

Liverpool are being linked with Roma goalie Alisson and PSG Trapp.Both much better than the current goalies @ Liverpool.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

It’s all bollocks Mav, we’re not signing anyone. Metro really are appalling on reporting. I HATE THE WORLD WIDE WEB WITH PASSION.

YNWA

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

I wouldn’t rule those links out they might not be January signings but there’s every chance after relegating Mignolet to the bench with the uncertainty surrounding Karius that Klopp is making a shirt list for a Summer Keeper signing.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          maverick1973
                          Participant

Nil-You never know mate,especially if Liverpool end up selling a Sturridge or someone else.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            J C
                            Participant

The problem with Mignolet is on set pieces. Karius may be nervy and perhaps not as good a shot stopper but look at how Pardew set his team up on set pieces last night. Exactly the same way he’s done at several other clubs over several years, and it works every time. Mignolet can’t handle a bit of physicality in the six yard box and it’s just way too easy to beat that.
                              Mignolet may or may not be better overall, but that one weakness is so bad and after this amount of time he’s still not fixed it.. he deserves dropping.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

Maybe so, either way, Klopp doesn’t rate Mignolet, yet we’re clowning around instead of getting in someone he does rate. It’s pretty annoying to see that the other teams that we’re competing are fighting to strengthen this window and we’re not bothered.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Tbh if I was a Liverpool fan I would be more worried about Klopp letting Sturridge go when Liverpool are looking to progress in the CL and nail down a 4th placed spot.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

That is all part of it though. Not strengthening while selling/moving players out. Sturridge as a player had to move on anyway though as he just doesn’t score enough anymore but ya, he is a striker on the fringe of the first team who could be needed at some stage and we’ve not bothered to replace him. Coutinho 100% will be have been an important part of our fight for a top 4 finish and to further our ambitions in the CL but he’s gone with no replacement.

What if we drop off and finish 7th? Will the players we’re seemingly holding out for still want to join us? We played this risky game last season and it came down to the last day of the season for us to cement our CL place. That’s too much of a risk and just because we made it, doesn’t mean it was a good decision.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

Mak, the Coutinho offer was enormous and the player desperately wanted to go there even though it’s not possible to replace him in this window it’s probably the right decision imo.

Sturridge to WBA is good for Sturridge but bad for Liverpool imo especially if Firmino were to get injured.

Klopp though will have to defend those decisions to FSG should Liverpool drop out of the CL places.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

Given how the teams around us are improving and we’re weaker now than we were before, I’d say that’s a good possibility. As for the Coutinho situation, the money was huge last summer too and they said no. Replacements aren’t available? Don’t sell the player that you can’t replace. This is a WC year, his price would most likely be going up if anything, so hold and sell when you can get your replacement. . . Or since they have been well warned by now that Coutinho wanted out, have a replacement lined up!

What other team does this? Arsenal finally let Sanchez go, it’s a swap deal for a player they can use. Aubameyang on his way to Arsenal? Only after they can find a replacement. It’s total madness to conduct business this way and it just undermines any improvements we make. One step forward? oh hang in there, we’ll just go and sabotage ourselves for no good reason and sort that out.

FSG have invested something like £150m in the squad in the entire time they’ve owned the club. That’s just not good enough.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.