Home Community General Football Weekend Football 37

This topic contains 330 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Oz 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 331 total)
  • Author
    newbalance
    newbalance
    Participant
    110 pts

Penultimate Weekend of the Premier League.

Naturally, the main focus lies towards The Race For Top 4 and The Title. Cardiff I believe are all but condemned back to the Championship.

Business as usual I hope for the Redmen on the back of a very disappoint result at the Nou-camp and nothing more than 3 points will be needed to take this long hard journey into the final Weekend.

#39596 Score: 0

nine nine nine
    545 pts

Some massively important games that could be decisive from top to bottom.

#39762 Score: 1

Mikus
    Participant
    97 pts

Liverpool’s challenge this season has many similarities with Man Utd under Ferguson – they play exciting attacking football, which is extremely effective, the players work very hard, but they also know how to grind out results. This is why this season is mirroring the 2012 season when both teams finished level pegging. Klopp has replaced Ferguson in that mould of manager. Aguero was literally and ultimately the difference in 2012, and *probably* will be again.

But this also got me thinking about the factors that determine success. Yes obviously managers and quality of players gets you competing at the top. But the real decisive factor that gets you over the line seems to be ruthless players. Gerrard in 2005 really *wanted* that CL win from the Olympiakos group game that season. Messi said he really wanted a CL win this season from last summer. Aguero really wants success. It’s not just the talent that these players have, it’s their absolute desires to win and *influence* to *carry* those around them to glory. Players that constantly deliver in big games. Drogba at Chelsea was just another example. Suarez too. Ronaldo. These players may not always be the most liked or popular but they are *serial* winners that are the ultimate dictator of success. If Liverpool are to stand any chance this season of winning something, someone needs to now step forward and show similar ruthlessness. If not they need to find such a player in the summer. And to do that you need to look at a player’s personality as much as their stats.

And just to respond to Banjo’s thoughts on Gerrard on the other thread – yes he did play a lot of Hollywood balls, probably was quite wasteful in possession at times, probably did have quite a few shots off target. But he always delivered in the big games and was a serial winner. Not surprising that Liverpool haven’t yet won a trophy since he left – even though they now have a better overall team!

Makaveli
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Mikus.
    #39765 Score: 0

nine nine nine
    545 pts

Loved watching Steven Gerrard it would have been amazing to have seen him in a Chelsea midfield when Chelsea were a dominant force. Credit to him though for sticking with Liverpool.

#39766 Score: 0
    steveosnakeeye
    steveosnakeeye
    Participant
    27 pts

but lampard and Gerrard couldnt play together 😉

#39767 Score: 0

nine nine nine
    545 pts

Jose would have fixed that.😊

#39804 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

Oh, brilliant, 19 year goalie making his debut for Cherries… watch him play a blinder, 1-0 Bournemouth!

Seems Poncho is going for pretty much the strongest team possible, can’t say I blame him, I’d do the same thing and I would have pretty picked that line-up too…

#39806 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

What did I tell you, half an hour in and the young lad in goal is best player on the park!

#39807 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

And that was the best save of the lot…

#39808 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

Dier needs to buy some lottery tickets on the way home… that should have been a 2nd yellow…

#39809 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

Oh dear… need to see that again…

#39810 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

Well, that’s not the most boring 45 minutes of 0-0 you’ll ever going to see…

Spuds could either 4-0 up or down to 9 men depending on your point of view…

#39811 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

Probably both… 🙂

#39812 Score: 0

Adlab
    Participant
    158 pts

Absolutely awful referee.
    Dier should have been off and Bournemouth could easily have had at least one penalty.

Once again I fail to see what Dele Alli does or am I missing something.

But really what bad refereeing

#39813 Score: 0
    Chucky McChuckface
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant
    314 pts

Okay, saw the reply, silly boy Son and shameful from the Bournemouth player, but playacting is part of the game now, isn’t it?!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 331 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.