Home Community General Football We Need To Talk About Goalies….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Something that has been bugging me for a little bit now, I say a little bit but probably about 4 seasons or so… Goalies acting like tarts!!!

Is it just me, or does every single goalie now have a habit of turning relatively simple saves into “Hollywood Epic” save, flicking up ankles and and springing around like cocker spaniels. I don’t remember the likes of Seaman, Clemance, Daddy Schmemical, et al trying to get simple saves into the highlight reel.

And why all the punching of the ball? Is it against the rules to catch it these days??

Goalies are turning into tarts…

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

Chuky, when I think of, what I call real goalkeepers, the ones that did catch a ball, a heavy mud splattered one as well, plus a burley CF charging down on him…it is just not the same. I do admire the athleticism of the new keepers but as you say I do not like the “Hollywood” act either. However, I suppose if you have never seen real keepers in action the difference would not be known. Swift, Bartram, Sagar,Woodley, Farm etc etc knew how to catch a ball

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        sean the sailor
        Participant

Who was the lad who broke his neck in the fa cup final decades ago?

Did he play for city? Truman was it?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Bert Trautman what a hero he played on through the Cup Final for City when Cup Finals really meant something with a broken neck no substitutes then.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Cheers nine

Ha ha the good old days

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

doesn’t sound like the good old days to me. sounds like a nightmare.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Brian blue
                Participant

The situation back in the good/bad old days with keepers was, they knew they would get clattered unless they made there mark first. A few keepers then were strong and brave enough for forwards not to challenge them too much….or else……. big ears then common!!!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Chucky McChuckface
                  Participant

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

Sean, just to clarify I don’t remember it but I’ve read the book.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

mr Chucky… Goalkeepers are a rare breed, they leave the care home where they are looked after daily and then they go do strange things like stick their heads on the floor to be kicked.

Clearly, the soft, slightly deranged keepers can all point their broken crooked fingers and blame Joge Campos for being fast small and Hollywood. If he hadnt been recruited from a Mexican state circus, we might not have the modern day goalkeeper. True story. Google it. Jorge Campos saved from life as lion farmer in Mexico city circus.

I think he and Rene Higuita and Chivilvert?!?! (check name -used to take free kicks and pens) ushered in the age of the mobile less clinically obese keeper. Lets face it, in his later years Southall was a fatburg under a street and couldnt get off the ground, like Seaman being lobbed by Nayim and bucktooh dinho…

Brian, its almost been erradicated from the game, but when I was playing, I was told when going for the ball to protect myself, keepers did that by catching with bent arms and elbows out and one knee raised…. just to catch it in the opposing players body and make them think twice about challenging. Thankfully the game has changed and keepers can now start to exhibit some of the top end skills.

Kepa, De Gea, buffon, Chech, are all guys who follow the line of the ball so incredibly well. hands down beneath bodies and tracking ball flight like flight radar… The skills nowerdays are something else.

Here’s a really sexy keeper…

Keepers are protected, they need to be given chech’s collapsed skull, but the game has moved on and there is a need to punch rather than catch the rediculous movement in footballs. But ultimately, if you cant catch a ball, you have no business being between the sticks.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

And just a final thought from me on the life of a keeper… Its not just strikers who want to hurt you… fans too…

Pitch Invader Slides Into Adrian After Super Cup Win ??

This pitch invader collided with Adrian after Liverpool FC's Super Cup win… ??The Spaniard suffered an ankle injury and is a doubt for this weekend… ? ? TW/ReaazAhmed

Slået op af SPORTbible i Fredag den 16. august 2019

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Brian blue
                          Participant

442..good post Agree, different skills now required but I wonder how many of the keepers of to day would have survived yesterdays conditions. We will never know but was always in full admiration of all the keepers of the era i came from

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.