Home Community General Football Wanting your side to lose

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cm
    Participant

Interesting to hear that some Arsenal fans wanting their side to lose yesterday because it meant Wenger was most likely going to keep his job if they won.

The same with some United fans wanting their side to lose because it meant LVG would end up getting the sack.

Is this the way some modern fans are now? I never understood this mentality and never will. I and I know many others who have the optimism that the manager can turn things around and most importantly you always go in watching your side hoping they win.

Are some modern fans just spoilt with success, that they would prefer their side to lose in order to relive the good old days.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Definitely want your side to lose, #1 on my list of “Banjo’s Teams He Loves To Watch Lose”.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Banjo hacked my account again…. naughty Banjo.

The thing that strikes me, it always appears to be fans of teams that have had a reasonable amount of success who go down this path. Being a Spud-lover, I can never remember a time when I’ve wanted them to lose, over the last 40 years, they’ve lost enough without my help. It only seems to be fans who have arguably been spoiled over the last decade or two with their teams success and expect their teams to always be competing, considering it the norm and have no understanding of footballing cycles. I’m willing to bet these fans who want their team to lose are all under 30 too… (or thirty-two).

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          cm
          Participant

Agree. It is most definitely sides who have fans that have witnessed their team accomplish sustained success.

I am not sure if it is fans under 30 though. There were a fair few Uniteds who have apparently been following the club for decades before SAF arrive and still wanted their side to lose if it meant the end of LVG. Same with Arsenal, watching Arsenal fan TV and listening to phone ins at times, some Arsenal fans claim they have followed the side sice the 60s and 70s wanting the team to lose in order to push Wenger out.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

Babyface… not going to disagree with your age thing, but from what I’ve seen myself, it’s always been that younger generation (compared to me!) who seem to be whinging… you know the type, football was invented when the Prem started generation.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

What a fan wants their team to lose games? That is not what I call fans,call them Banjos.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

Quite simply, it’s very easy for one to be overtaken with events

Nobody deep down wants their team to lose a game. It’s just a mechanism or a ‘vehicle’ used when a certain point has reached and there’s a desperation for something to change/something to give.

Every club is different in their own right. In the lower leagues, there’s a similar type of vibe.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

I can’t imagine any scenario where you want your team to lose. It just doesn’t sit right for a fan…even when we had Hodgson as a manager and we were all praying FSG would get rid I always wanted my team to win. Of course you do.

I remember watching Liverpool v Blackburn back in the 90”s and if Blackburn lost they might lose the league to the Manchester, and I still wanted us to win the game…and we did. Surely any true fan supports his team through thick and thin and at every game.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    cm
                    Participant

Agree with what everyones saying. Imagine following a team battling relegation. I rarely see any of their fans wanting the team to lose in order to get relegated because the manager is not delivering, just because there is a likely chance of him getting the sack. Some fans have just been spoiled with success and that is all they know. Why bother watching or supporting a side if you want them to lose.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.