Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cityboy54
    Participant

Not sure if this has been touched on…should we have VAR …I think yes

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

It is bound to happen even though it is not perfect. Refs to day cannot cope with the pace or rule changes

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

I think we all agree it’s needed in some form or other, it’s finding that correct balance. Would have a hard time watching if we end up with an “American Football” style of referring 60 minutes playing time (or 90 for proper footy!) ends up taking 2/3 hrs to play.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

VAR in. They can speed up the process for sure. I think when they are looking at real touch and go decisions, they need to say they are going to favour the attackers and award it to them. It’ll save time and also you’re still filtering out all the bad decisions.

I’ll use 2 recent examples. Liverpools disallowed goal versus Arsenal. That was 100% a goal and should have stood. VAR fixes that one the 1st or 2nd replay. Then look at Fulhams disallowed goal against us. That was a lot closer and harder to judge in a good time. I think people are still generally unsure about it. With VAR, I would be happy to see that awarded as a goal, with the ruling that it’s difficult to tell whether or which, in a reasonable time and the advantage is going to the attacker.

VAR is here to clear out the really shocking bad calls and it’ll do that quickly. It doesn’t have to be an absolute solution every time to be a very valuable part of the game.

bring that in and don’t go like America, stopping the game all the time for ads… I’ll stop watching if that happens.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Anonymous

Maybe you could also add in a timer. max of 45 seconds? This might bring in some shitty situations though..

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Hightown hope

Really good article below regarding the downside of VAR, and to the detriment of the matchgoing fan. The article is written by a Liverpool fan and deals with specifically Liverpool’s experiences of VAR, but the points made are equally valid for any fan. Well worth a read in my opinion, and the writer’s views exactly mirror mine. It will make the matchgoing experience LESS enjoyable, not better. Views?

The price to pay for VAR and how Liverpool fans have already felt the negatives

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

Yep, been saying the same for a while now. Imagine the most important goal you can remember your team scoring, say Solskjaer in the 99 final, and then celebrating wildly only to find it’s being reviewed by VAR. Just takes the emotion out of football and emotion plays a large part in footy.

Wouldn’t be so bad if they got the VAR decisions correct, but they are all so subjective that it hardly matters what way they go.

VAR is great in theory, but whoever makes the decisions seem to go way beyond their remit. Clear and obvious. Anything that needs more than 2 replays to decide is not clear and obvious and should go with the original decision. No need to stop play for long periods.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

HH – both Anfield and OT lack a big screen to show that VAR is happening, so that needs sorting before next season. They won’t redesign the stadiums to fit one in so they’ll have to have another way. Maybe the clocks can be changed to flash ‘VAR’ or similar when decisions are being reviewed as otherwise the fans have no idea what the delays are for.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Hightown hope

Alfie…I think the main point is celebrating a goal. Ur absolutely right about the Solksjaer goal but it’s the same with any goal. I’m strongly anti VARIOUS but I know I am the minority, but I think that’s cos I’m a match goer and it’s a very different experience to watching the game on TV. I really think it will have a negative effect on the match going experience

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

Yeah, it would be any goal, but I was using the most important or favourite to highlight the effect.

At least if they rule one out now it is done and dusted. The waiting on those goals in finals etc would be too much!

I was pro VAR before last season but I thought the experiment showed it does not work for football. Some of the decisions were baffling.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        goatistuta
                        Participant

I’ve changed my mind on VAR so many times after what I’ve seen. One week I’m 100% in and it’s vital, the next I’m, come on really, I’m out!! Think I agree though that it should deal with the ridiculous side of the game like hand balls, crazy off sides, bad tackles, basically the stuff we all hate. It shouldn’t be debating offsides that are in inches or small pushes in the box, that ends up someone’s opinion and that’s the flaw.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

Trying to improve something can not only be very difficult but can quite often make something worse in other cases, as has been discussed above. It actually becomes a discussion about trade offs. There is no silver bullet.

Here is a good analogy. In F1, they introduced the halo above the drivers cockpit for safety reasons to prevent drivers heads being injured from other cars potentially driving upwards towards them or flying over the top of them. And I think in one race this year it did save someone in one incident. However, in yesterday’s race, the driver Hulkenberg was flipped upside down after a crash, with a fire starting at the back of the car. Because of the halo system, he was trapped in the car and could not get out until the marshals could flip the car back over (previously he’d have been able to get out without the halo). It could have been much worse.

The full story for those interested is here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-6429173/Damon-Hill-fears-halo-prevents-drivers-escaping-following-Nico-Hulkenberg-crash.html

So as with anything, you have to look at the big picture and try and find the best balance and what you want to prioritise.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

Have to agree with Mikus, it’s all about the balance. As much as we would all want to see the correct decisions, I don’t think everybody wants to see half a dozen 2 minute stoppages in play (and we all know if managers are allowed to call VAR for a decision they’ll be time wasting nonsense going on too!).

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.