Home Community General Football Time for a Super-Duper League…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Although I am still against the idea in principle, this piece does make a somewhat logical argument for it… namely the size between the haves and have-nots…

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/19/manchester-city-sky-blue-smashing-of-watford-proves-football-is-broken

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

I made a point on one of the other threads and something Oz too on here has accentuated a fair few times and that’s quality of the Depth of the Squad City possess and investment.

A correlation of that against the Trophies Won.

It’s not to take away how good they are; 20/25 points over Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United, and factually, 48 points the difference.

I don’t know if the actual points in 90s will be repeated again, but until the others don’t ‘catch up’, it’s going to be likely the same going into the next decade.

Rather than a breakaway league I refer my point to try and curb spending in enforcing new rules where there has to be a certain amount of players of the 25 man squad of Youth, In-House. This supports the Academies and promotes more of an opportunity to break into the First Team.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Didn’t read it properly, did ya?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

The thing is FFP is now controlling spending it’s just City have assembled such a great squad before it started to take effect that it will take a bit longer to even things out.

FFP does have to be strongly executed and any manipulation of it does have to be highlighted and action taken but once that begins to happen we will then begin to see a more level playing field indeed there were signs of that anyway in both City’s spending and in the PL this season.

But one or two teams have always dominated the League all the way back to the days of Preston North End.

Personally I don’t agree with a Super League concept that takes the best teams away from the domestic Leagues and leaves them with just the mediocre to poor teams.

I could back a European Super League as a development of the CL but as an instead of the national Leagues and I wouldn’t and I don’t think there’s an appetite for that across Europe.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

I think the point of the article was the notion that what really is the point in trying to keep the leagues fair anymore. The Prem is possibly the most open of the major leagues around Europe, with up to 6 teams being considered contenders at the start of the season. In Germany, France, Italy and Spain you have 2 at best and in a few of those only one…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Wasn’t the conclusion of the article “maybe the least bad solution is just to let them go, let them have their super league.”

Personally I don’t agree with that and I don’t think there is any appetite for it across all the major Domestic Leagues.

A Super duper Champions League played in midweek maybe but not a Super League that replaces what we have.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

I think the article was suggesting get rid of the usual suspects and give the rest a chance.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Chucky, indeed but there would be absolutely no interest in that and the sponsorship and TV monies would fall away if you took the top 6 out of the PL.

And where’s the glory of giving the rest a chance if you take out all the major Clubs.

Also there’s no appetite for a European Super League at the expense of the domestic Leagues across Europe.

I can see a Champions League evolving into a full blown midweek European League as time goes by but not at the expense of the domestic Leagues.

Football is cyclical Liverpool dominated the 70’s and 80’s then United dominated, City’s domination won’t last for ever FFP will begin to really bite and Pep will eventually move on and there are few as good as him.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

I don’t think it’s the FFP as such, it’s still about the haves and the have-not’s.

When it comes to the cash, the Prem is still probably the most fairest in the world yet we still have a huge gulf between those at the top and those at the bottom. This problem is multiplied immensely when you get to Spain etc.. You could very well be right when you say about the Prem being the most popular (with sponsorship etc) due to the gap being the smallest overall. I don’t watch much Euro football, for example, the only Spanish game I watch is the Classico…

I don’t even know what I’m talking about now… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Chucky, unfortunately there will always be haves and have nots. Liverpool have done a great job on closing the gap on City but they’ve spent a lot of money over a short period of time in doing it but it’s not just about the money spent it’s who you spend it on that counts and Klopp bought very well.

Go back a few weeks and we had a three horse title race if Spurs spend a bit of money this Summer I can see a three horse title race next season teams like Watford will always struggle against a team as good as City without they get the breaks and let’s not forget Palace, Newcastle and Leicester all beat City over short period so on any given day it is possible if things go for you. And perhaps more importantly Spurs eliminated City from the CL over two legs and Liverpool pushed them really close in the title race so they’re not completely invincible.

Watford tactics were spot on play deep with a low block and hit City on the break and they almost took the lead too where it all went wrong for Watford is that they tried to take the game to City in the 2nd half and that played into City’s hands because of the space left and there’s not a better team to exploit that than City especially with De Bruyne on the pitch who was fabulous when he came on (thanks Jose).

I don’t even know what I’m talking about now… ?. Me neither Chucky.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Nike19
                        Participant

No ultimate Reset Button, but it seems going forward, FFP will do what they can to ensure spending doesn’t get out of hand from Clubs.

No need for a Super League – just gotta find a way to stop Man City become Man United, ha! πŸ˜‰

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

Football decided to go down the free market private business route years ago, and here lie the consequences today. Winning is everything to a business so they all look for perfection to crush their opponents completely. Sure teams should want to win, but to the extent they want to freeze out the other clubs permanently? Who’s the winner in that game? And is it in the spirit of the game? And I do grow tired of this argument that β€œall these top managers and players lift our own players”. If that’s true why did France win the last World Cup, and Germany the time before that? Both have weak domestic leagues.

You can try and impose stronger player contracts to help protect the smaller clubs but both the top clubs and players have now become too powerful and would counteract such things and say it goes against the spirit of the free market. So you can the two ideologies clashing and which one has won. Perhaps only when the ratings and TV subscriptions start dropping off it may change things (though the top clubs would probably see that as a reason to start a super league – it’s all about perception and then manipulation).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Nike19
                            Participant

I tried to post something earlier this afternoon, but had issues on here.

Out of the 25 man squad, half a dozen of those players can be ‘in-house’ from the Academy (as a potential idea). Nobody really bats an eyelid when it comes to that Subject and I often think to myself, many of those wanting to be Professionals feel threatened just be seeing the Weekly Team-sheet (Manchester City’s) and the Players named on the bench.

Imposing this would be a Gateway for continuous New Blood breaking on to the Circuit and promote hope of an Opportunity.

I support Mikus’ point about Player Contracts in relation to protecting Clubs.

I would add: Any Player not fulfilling his Contract and breaking terms for Pastures New, should be made to pay back his Salary/ies, effectively dating from Signature Being Dotted.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Nike19.
                              • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Nike19.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

As a bit of a side to share personally in relation to this, I know and accept in Nature in a Forum-based-arena Posters are likely to be from a Mixture of different Football Clubs, and Sticks are sort of thrown at, but from what I recall, the spending elevated to another level from Manchester United, quite frankly and organically at the time from them being Successful on Pitch and Commerce.

The Glaziers really didn’t come into effect until the early 00s.

Going on from this, not so much in setting the record straight, but I would point out from experience, Chelsea actually attracted good players from abroad and were the only real team outside Arsenal and maybe Leeds United, that were knocking on the Door.

All this Genuinely before Abramovich. I Know because they were competing with Liverpool for 4th place and Liverpool struggled. Chelsea always if anything had a mixed-bag of players from abroad and homegrown in England – Good Quality too.

Spending prevailed to stop Manchester United’s Dominance. In many ways of being Thankful from an Liverpool Supporters Point Of View, they’ve help prevent them from being 21,22,23 Titles to their Name.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Contracts are a two way street they protect the players and the Clubs.

English law means contracts can’t be broken by either side.

There’s not a chance of getting players to pay back their salaries over say a three year period if they leave in the middle of a 5 year contract for another Club it would never be agreed to by the players and the Players Union and would be illegal as it would effectively limit a players ability to move Clubs.

PL and UEFA rules already require Clubs to include 8 home grown players in their 25 man squads that could be tightened to state they must come from the Club’s own Academy and have been trained in the Academy for say more than 5 years or possibly more this would put a stop to the signing of young European players.

Currently UEFA rules state 4 players must come from the Academy. If you want to push the boat out that homegrown rule could be extended from 8 to 12 which is a PL proposal but it would weaken PL Clubs in UEFA competitions if that wasn’t applied across the whole of Europe.

We’ve also yet to see what the effect of Brexit may have on European players playing for British Clubs and we would need a much clearer picture on Brexit as a whole before we understand the implications of Brexit on football to UK based Clubs.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Good point Nil. Chelsea’s rise began in 1994 after the appointment of Hoddle, then came Gullit, Vialli and Ranieri. 2 FA Cups,, 1 League Cup ,2 European trophies a real title challenge and qualifications for the CL all of which started 6 years before Abramovich arrived.?

But Abramovich arriving did take Chelsea to even higher levels.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

Nine, 1000 Percent Spot On Mate.

There was arguably some Fantastic Inclusions that Enriched our League as a Whole. Some Fun Match Of The Days Back Then Haha πŸ™‚

I was fortunate to watch Gianluca Vialli play For Chelsea against Leicester at Filbert Street back in 1998 and still to this day have Autographs of Frank Leboeuf and Mark Hughes.

This was all before any sort of Owner back then. The Scale too as far as Transfers and Wages were concerned didn’t really bother anyone to notice anything to be different and some sort of a ‘sore thumb’.

Cheers

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

Im not interested in this conversation right now but I will say that if Liverpool enter a super league, I will watch them. I have no intention of going on strike as a supporter unless I see cause for it. Maybe a super league is the next step? We cant say for sure that it isnt. We cant say for sure that it might not be better. Although I’d give it a chance, I would question the motives and potential of it all. Maybe the first few are kinda meaningless.. Likely, in terms of weight.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.