Home Community General Football Sport…bloody hell!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hightown hope

To paraphrase Fergie ‘sport…bloody hell!’

Yesterday, I had the complete and utter privilege of being at Headingley and witnessing first hand not only the finest Test innings I’ve ever seen live and quite possibly in cricket history, and it got me thinking of just how wonderful sport is, and how sorry I feel for those people that do not get sport.

This year I have had the pleasure of witnessing first hand Liverpool’s improbable comeback against Barcelona at Anfield, of witnessing on TV England’s remarkable World Cup cricket win, and then there was yesterday where I was sat in the blazing sun with an Aussie cousin of mine (which made it sweeter!) and saw pure sporting theatre from a guy at the very top of his game against an attack that are, make no mistake, top drawer. The full gamut of emotions during the day from the anticipation at the start, the lows as the wickets fell, the excitement, tension and ultimately elation of the day was just intense. If Hollywood scriptwriters offered scripts like any of the 3 occasions I mentioned above they would have been discarded as pure impossible fantasy, but they all happened, and I haven’t even mentioned Istanbul which I also witnessed first hand. I know not all on here will be in to cricket, but as sport fans we can all recognise truly fairytale stories and endings. It’s why we all love sport and competition, and I’m just so pleased and happy that it plays such a big part in my life.

It’s worth also acknowledging the importance of a live crowd and atmosphere, and it’s a lesson that Sport governing bodies and club owners would do well to learn. If yesterday had happened in a half empty ground, it would not have had half as big an impact…indeed it may not even have happened as so many England players have acknowledged the part the crowd played in Leeds, and same goes for the Anfield crowd against Barcelona.

Sport, eh? Bloody hell!

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      threeps
      Participant

Good post mate, and you’re spot on regarding the crowd. I’ve been to Anfield a few times and seen some good matches and great atmospheres, the best being the “ghost goal” semi in 2005, but don’t think I can compete with what you mentioned. But even watching on TV you can still get the feeling from a crowd that something special is happening. The best example I can think of was watching the 2012 Olympics and Super Saturday, the atmosphere that came across into my living room was great despite my then girlfriend moaning that she wanted to do something else. She was one of those you mentioned that didn’t get sport at all, rather sit in a cafe eating a muffin and drinking tea or something as mundane!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

Great example, threeps. Super Saturday in 2012 was another of ‘those’ special moments. It’s fantastic, isn’t it?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.