Home Community Non-Football Spectators providing support/atmosphere reflecting spirit of the club

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Mick Far
    Participant

I don’t understand how City can be regarded as one of the “big clubs?” When their apathetic fans only fill it appears two thirds of the ground, in such an important home game?
      Thousands of empty seats, all over the ground??

It’s a rich mans toy, not a global team…

Newcastle have a more visible fan base on a hundredth of the investment..

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Oz Yob
      Participant

How many does Etihad hold, I’m only speculating but it might have something to do with capacity being such a big stadium. I get your point though, such an important 3 points up for grabs I reckon we could fill Anfield twice.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Oz Yob
        Participant

As for being a big club, it’s all about what titles you win so I guess you could say their insane investment over many seasons HAS made them a big club.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

The opposite projection of this was the atmosphere at Wolves on the 21st last month – truly amazing at Molineux and they had a DJ too.

Different fans I guess have a different interpretation for the meaning of a Big Club.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

A lot of clubs are now effectively foreign investments. But we pretend they’re still community clubs when in fact they’re somewhere inbetween the two.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Not many Clubs have to compete with United in the same city.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

There’s a few reasonings to factor in like price of tickets, and the amount of competitions City are involved in, so maybe one isn’t able to afford to attend a handful of games in quick succession.

Picking on the point of Price though, it reflects on when New Stadiums are created and then on setting a vision to compete with the best, meaning best players that come along with high value transfer fees and wages – that’s a double-edge sword for the Match-goer.

And when the club sets out to generate as much revenue in ticket sales, you find a portion of them advertised through different mediums and variable prices, in Hundreds.

What is mind-boggling is why this would happen irrespective of the above? It’s not as if the football’s boring and they’re still tipped I’m sure by many to retain the title.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  threeps
                  Participant

Read that a lot of their season ticket holders are tourist fans that don’t turn up for every match, only the very big ones. Football is all about making money, overseas investment, corporate boxes, overseas TV revenue etc, the real fan is sadly being driven away. This is happening at most of the big teams, I suspect it is happening on a bigger scale at City.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Hightown hope

Man City has some of the cheapest season tickets in the Premiership

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

Man city is a big club now no doubt about it

I heard the sheik has done a lot for the community around there.

There were some empty seats at the Citu v Liverpool game but the atmosphere was great

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        threeps
                        Participant

Many of the empty seats are near the centre circle, I suspect these are not the cheap ones. Sadly for City these are the ones everyone sees on TV!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Nike19
                          Participant

Threeps,

I think it’s a small handful of clubs that occupy the Prem that give that impression of the fan being completely priced out. Given that, my brother went to the Leicester-Man City game on Boxing Day at the King Power and I think he paid around £40.

I’ve never ever ever subscribed to the idealogy of a new stadium – why? You only end up having to try and recoup that ‘investment’ and end up charging the fans more.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            srd79
                            Participant

I don’t think a club like Manchester City can be regarded as a big club yet. Not internationally, anyway. They haven’t really won anything in Europe as it is. And to be considered a big club in that sense, you have to have European silverware to show. I know they have the Cup winners Cup from way back in sixties or something like that, but that’s it. They never made their mark on the biggest of stages. So big clubs would be Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Milan etc.
                              A club like Milan may be a shadow of what it was, but it’s still considered an iconic club. Manchester City is in no way an iconic club that deserves to mentioned in the same breath as the Milans, Bayern Munichs etc of this world.

There’s no denying that City is big club domestically. They’ve got the trophies in recent years to show for it. They’ve got the players. They’ve got the money. They’ve got the manager. Unless their sheik decides he’s bored and leaves, they’ll continue to be a dominating force in the PL. And it’s most likely only a matter of time before they also win the biggest of trophies in Europe, and then but only then can they call themselves a big European club. And I bet that’ll happen sooner rather than later. Good times to be a City fan, I’d say.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              nine nine nine

City are a big Club imo with a long history but growing up in Manchester over the last 30/40 years kids would in the main be United supporters.

You name who you think are the biggest Club’s yet Chelsea have won all 4 European trophies and have a very significant worldwide fan base and are 4th rankec in worldwide shirt sales which reflects the worldwide fan base with only United, Real and Barca selling more but realistically very few of those fans if any will ever visit Stamford Bridge let alone be there on a regular basis.

I live in Sunny Somerset and there are lots of kids nw wearing Manchester City shirts here more than now wear United shirts and ultimately as City continue on this upward curve so their worldwide and indeed local support will increase.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Brian blue
                                Participant

Big club, little club…????? what is the value of that. The measure does not have a significance. If City are to be called a nearly big club, I accept that and will enjoy the football that is being served
                                  I believe City do not have a fan base like Utd but what we have is loyal fan base, then again you could put a case for Accrington Stanley who probably have a fan base of 1200 who turn up and not watch super stars. How do you put a value on that? If you do it for one, then do it for all At some stage “Big teams” will drop spectators, just like all other “big” teams have done, however, as I stated it is not a measure than can be defined as suggeted.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

“If City are to be called a nearly big club, I accept that and will enjoy the football that is being served.”

Probably the perfect summary Brian. You’re a very wise man.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Brian blue
                                    Participant

Oz Yob City capacity is 54K give or take a few. Ticket prices are reasonable. I do not care what people say about the capacity at matches or the atmosphere, I enjoy it, Without foriegn investment the PL would not exist, it is only the variable amounts invested that appears to worry fans and why there teams do not have MORE money.
                                      Money has changed the game, some may say, for the better

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Oz Yob
                                      Participant

Cheers BB, I thought it might hold more than that to be honest. Regardless of how they got their or what people say, c$ty have recently been a dominant club in the toughest competition in the world & it’s only a matter of time until they win the C/L.
                                        I agree with what Threeps said, the real fan is being driven away. When I went to Anfield I was expecting an unreal atmosphere as it was a cat1 game v Arsenal but I was really disappointed. Talking to a couple of locals they said the fans that would sing & chant all game have been with those that sit there & golf clap whilst saying nothing. I know BB & others think money has made it better but I think it’s destroying sport.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Oz Yob
                                        Participant

Have been replaced by golf clappers that was

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Anonymous

Oz, this is why I went absolutely mental when FSG released their (then) new ticket pricing plans. I was saying that it would be the nail in the coffin in terms of atmosphere and even though I don’t go to matches, I was furious at the ticket price rises to come but more so about the atmosphere creating fans being shifted to the upper tiers and other far away areas.

I’ve made my piece with FSG because they are AMAZING owners besides this but the fact remains that atmosphere is not much of a priority when you’re talking about big money.

I will put the question out there though : How much is atmosphere worth? It has an intangible value but that’s not to say that it doesn’t have an actual dollar value. Wins lead to possible success or qualification for and longer runs in tournaments. A great Anfield atmosphere could be worth millions in a single CL campaign. What about the PL? How valuable might Anfield be to us this season> We won’t know until the season is over but it’s not ridiculous to suggest that Anfield’s atmosphere could be important for us in the run in, right?

Now, FSG are no idiots and they have owned LFC for a good while now, adapting and learning as they go. I really hope they’ve learned that crowds in football and the PL in particular, are quite different to the ones over in America. With TV revenue being much more significant than gate receipts these days and also considering that they are really only going to make a very low millions figure extra by altering the seating plan, they risk throwing away a much larger yet intangible dollar amount and not just the soul of the club.

They’ve earned the benefit of the doubt so far though I think. where would Liverpool be without FSG? I have to think about that when I consider this unpleasantness.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 83 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.