Home Community General Football Southgate

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    CM
    Participant

Why is he still England manager?

Should have been sacked years ago.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Mikus LFC
      Participant

Look forward to seeing him at Man Utd next season πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

Not too fast there Mikus

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Mikus LFC
          Participant

It is staggering Ed how some people seriously think he could do a good job at a big premier league club. I just think he plays it safe, has little in the way of charisma but is fortunate he has some great players at his disposal.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

I think he’s a good talker Mikus and I think he’s done a decent job at creating the right environment for these top players to succeed. It wouldn’t surprise me if he won something with England. I don’t think he’s a great tactician but I don’t think he’s a terrible England manager, just one that’s lacking in the tactical aspect of the game. I think he’d be a disastrous club manager though, certainly if he went in right at the top. Some managers just suit international football and I think he’s one of them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              threeps
              Participant

There’s no chance Southgate will be the next Liverpool manager. He’s at 50/1 currently, put that in perspective that’s the same as Michael Carrick or Roy Keane.

He’s a safe and boring manager that the statisticians can point at as being successful but for me he has been a failure. He beats teams that he is expected to beat but comes up short against those that pose a challenge. Apart from defence he has one of the best squads in world football currently.

Read the other day something that summed him up, the worst thing England can do is go one up within 10 minutes because it will be 80 minutes of defensive boring football trying to hang on.

He’s the 5/2 favorite for the Utd job. Please make that happen πŸ™

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Waistcoat to YooUtd, yes please, another chance for YooUtd to sort themselves out and another chance missed, and another 2/3 years battling out for the 5/6/7th spots while boasting about about their impressive chicken noodle network… (at least we’ve got F1 and the Jordan bit of Nike! Well, soon we will have!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Editor
                  Keymaster

I’d be genuinely amazed if he got the Utd job quite frankly. I think the odds are based on the speculation which I don’t think is coming from the club. The likes of Berrada were brought in without a sniff in the media about it so it’d be odd if things started leaking now. It also doesn’t make sense time wise to bring a new manager in after the Euros. I don’t think there’s an ounce of truth in the rumours in all honesty, much to rival fans disappointment 😁.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    threeps
                    Participant

Ed, stop crushing our dreams with tales of reason and logic.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

Absolutely hate negative football and tactics and lost all respect for southgate when england went 1-0 up againest a shit itsky team and choked. Didn’t even try to play football.

Excellent players but dreadful to watch.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

Benitez was loved at Anfield though Sean and he’s one of the most negative managers around. Mourinho at Chelsea and Utd. Conte at Spurs etc. The game’s probably passed that type of manager by, hence why I think Southgate would fail miserably in club football again. But I honestly think he gets far too much stick as England manager. I’m not sure who else England could get who would be a better option. I suspect it may be Potter after the summer with Southgate getting a club job, just not my club, thanks.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

To be fair Ed those managers won big trophies and were either very good tactically or good motivators or both. I think Southgate is Mr.Sensible and Mr.Safe. Yes he’s done a few sensible things in the England camp. But as somebody to really galvanise a dressing room into battle, he’s just not that person. And in the big moments I don’t see very much. Perfectly nice chap I’m sure. But he’s there because there was no other English manager available. Which is a damning indictment really.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

Too much difference between international and national football… 80 or even 90% of Engerland games you would expect Engerland to win considering how many games are seeded, the rest are in the the knock-out rounds of tournaments so it’s win or go home… off course Waistcoat is going to be thnking about not losing just as much as he is about winning… lose one and your out, nothing like a 38 game league schedule…

(And no, I wasn’t including international friendlies, the biggest waste of space on a footballing calander)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              sean the sailor
                              Participant

Ye i get you ed but southgate has delivered nothing with a great swuad in an era were international teams are weak.

Rafa and houllier drove me insane. Once the good results stop then its gets bad to stomach.

Thats why im dreading klopp going. I love watching us. We go anywhere and attack.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                maverick1973
                                Participant

Most overrated manager ever! Should stay with England or call it a day after the Euros.Worse than Steve the brolly!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Editor
                                  Keymaster

Yeah that’s it Sean. You accept it as long as the results are there. I think I have more patience with the style of football at International level just because it’s always knockout games almost. You just want to get through most of the time. To be honest, I don’t find many of the best International sides great to watch. France are pretty poor to watch under Deschamps. Argentina aren’t great either despite their WC win. Brazil aren’t all that. Spain I find incredibly boring.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    threeps
                                    Participant

Agree Ed, England arent alone in being boring. International tournaments are much shorter than domestic leagues so there’s little chance of recovering from a defeat, so most of the big teams play it safe. As you say, just get through.

I never get excited about the Euros or World Cup, but if I do watch them I prefer to watch the slightly smaller teams that play with more excitement. Japan, Croatia, Colombia etc.

The last time I can remember England consistently playing exciting football was under Venables. He really knew how to bind the team (maybe too much!) and was good to watch. If the football gods had any justice in them they would have won Euro 96.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Editor
                                      Keymaster

I never get excited about the Euros or World Cup, but if I do watch them I prefer to watch the slightly smaller teams that play with more excitement. Japan, Croatia, Colombia etc.

Yeah I’m not sure I would if England weren’t in it either. International football used to be the pinnacle but it’s lost some glamour, for sure, with the rise of club football.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Chucky McChuckface
                                        Participant

Same problem as ‘european’ football… just too much of it… and too many worthless games… domeestic leagues work as these are clubs which have been facing each other for decades (or even centuries in some countries) so every game has a lot more history to it, and domestic leagues aren’t over with one defeat (unlike the exciting parts of international football) so teams go for it more… ‘

The only football I’ve watched over this international break was the first half of Poland vs Wales (and that’s because it was a “winner takes all” game)… never watched a second of either Engerland game. Don’t care. Irrelevent. Pointless.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          CM
                                          Participant

We have been heading the same direction as the Belgium national side. We have the best selection of players, yet we do not have the right man in charge to lead them to success.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.