Home Community General Football Sanchez: layed all eggs in one Basket – Fundamental problem in English Football

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Are we not allowed to risk ourselves beyond the PL? just a thought and one I would insist upon thrusting on this occasion, 90+ clubs that do factually belong to the English composition.

Could “Dean Saunders from Derby County to Liverpool” not ever enterprise into the footballing world??????

I’m just saying it’s about accessing ALL areas and not just aspiring to somebody magically landing from abroad, when the Good Guy is starring at you, not too far away from your own Neck Of The Woods.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      srd79
      Participant

What do you mean? That the PL clubs should look to the lower divisions for players rather than abroad?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Nil, you’ve lost me mate Liverpool have just signed VVD for ยฃ75m you were keen for Liverpool to sign Mahrez a week or so back and Sanchez would have been a great signing for any of the top 6 were he affordable to all?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

Nil-You lost me completely mate!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            srd79
            Participant

And no good guys stand in the woods starring at other people. Just saying.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by srd79.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

srd79-I would love to stare at sexy women from the woods mate,just saying.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

I genuinely had a reply that took me almost an hour and lost either by log on or time out.

Put a lot of time and thought in that too. A mission to have to try re-write all that as this was long – talk about picking your moments!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

It’s too exhausting honestly by mind as I want to try and relax, but it was something about the Premier League in it’s transformation from Division One in which it came across to thrive on buying players from abroad whilst at the same time, distancing and what comes across as disregarding and devaluing teams from the other 3 Divisions, plus the Scottish League.

I’ve never seen in my life a Heart of Midlothian player move to Liverpool and surely he would be better than Raglan Klavan and Alberto Moreno and that’ my problem and point in being steered to narrow-minded and one-sided thinking.

It has a reflection too on our National Team and it’s so contradictory.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Pagan
                    Participant

NB, I saw Garry Birtles move from Long Eaton Utd and win a European cup with Forest…Pagan

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Pagan.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      srd79
                      Participant

It’s just the way things are. 30 years ago only three foreigners were allowed in a starting line up, most clubs had managers from their own country. The Bosman ruling and the political decisions made by the EU changed the landscape of the sport forever.
                        Why would you settle for a Graeme Souness or Dave Moyes if you can get a Klopp, Ancelotti or Guardiola?
                        And of course those foreign managers look to the leagues they know best when they go shopping for players. And as a direct result the local guy from the woods finds it harder to get a real chance.

Football mirrors society. It has gone global. It doesn’t only affect the crap England side, it also affects a former powerhouse like Italy. They’re crap as well today. You can say that for many national sides. I don’t see how things will change. I guess we just have to live with it. Money rules.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Pagan
                        Participant

In addition to the above by srd79, top English players come at a premium price, you can usually get an equally talented overseas player for less than the equivalent English one….Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          srd79
                          Participant

Good point, Pagan. And you can’t really blame the clubs, can you? I wouldn’t buy a local product if I can find something similar at a cheaper price just by looking a bit further away.

It leads to another debate: Do the clubs have a responsibility to nurture national talent in order to support the national side?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Pagan
                            Participant

srd, I could and have spoken about that subject for hours…Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              srd79
                              Participant

The way football has become business and entertainment, I can see how clubs might feel less than obligated to have the national team in mind. As a fan of the sport, I’d like them to take more responsibility. It’s probably just not going to happen.

Clubsowners and -boards are mostly asshats. Just like their managers.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

Personally, I think it’s a bit of a myth. I’m not saying to completely dismiss buying from abroad, I’m saying don’t completely vacuum yourself away from players closer to home who actually aren’t going to cost a club as much as people assume.

And even if you do end up having to spend more, you’ll have quality homegrown.

Our National Team has a dearth of quality players coming through and what’s the point of Academies in place?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Pagan
                                  Participant

NB, the PL is one of the best football Leagues in the world, and as such the players in it need to be some of the best in the world. Yes the coaching system in this country needs to radically overhauled in order to be as effective in bringing through talent as some other nations, but when you consider that the U.K. has less than 1% of the worlds population how many of the top players in the world do you expect it to produce?

Not quite sure how you run your finances NB, but I tend to look round for the best deal, Iโ€™m not overly keen on overpaying for things, football is a business, the clubs are run as such, they will do whatโ€™s best for them, not the national side.

I donโ€™t know if you saw the BT documentary โ€œno hunger in paradiseโ€ but that touched on the lack of desire in English players to succeed as they get paid too much at a very young age, before theyโ€™ve even played in the first team….Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

Yep, and I rather have Andy Robertson than Raglan Klavan, Pagan.

Isn’t that a better deal?

Why are people drooling over Sanchez, that’s the whole thesis of this thread.

There are plenty more fish in the sea. It’s how you go about your scouting!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Pagan
                                      Participant

NB, because heโ€™s consistently good, a bit like your new English centreback

Watch England play, thatโ€™s the premier league without the overseas players.

NB, you need to realise the Premier league is basically an international football league based in England, the vast majority of the money comes in from abroad, take Liverpool, foreign owners, foreign kit sponsor, and the shirt sponsor is a global company based in the U.K.

…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

Pagan, I totally can see that on your last from the evolution over the last 25 years.

And though I can see the enrichment, both of us may have to agree to disagree slightly in that I feel there is a percent where it has damaged the seeds planted here and why we have less and less English or British players involved in top flight football.

My conclusion.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Nike19.
                                          • This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Nike19.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Pagan
                                          Participant

You look at the English players that have come through over the last few decades, Man U had a batch, West Ham had a batch, Southampton…., my view on this is that for some reason a group of players in an academy generates a very competitive atmosphere, where they push each other on to improve, itโ€™s not the academy that does this as they would be able to perpetuate this, but the young players and the chemistry they create. Unfortunately in to many cases the young players donโ€™t have that drive but they still get the financial rewards from their club, so they donโ€™t have the hunger to push themselves and we get mediocre players…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.