Home Community General Football Post Ferguson 10 years on

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CM
    Participant

Today marks 10 years since Ferguson announced his retirement, and what a roller coaster it has been since.

The job of replacing him was always going to be difficult. Not only did we lose Ferguson, but we also lost David Gill. Furthermore, key players such as Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Van Persie, and Scholes departed shortly after his retirement.

Part of the reason why I believe United have struggled is that we not only lost such an elite manager, but also an elite group of players shortly after his retirement.

I truly believe we now have a manager who can help us compete for major trophies. However, what it now entails is patience. Let’s hope the next 10 years as a United fan are not as bad as the previous decade.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

Okay, we could roll out all the negative stuff and we’d be going on for years as there’d be 10000s of words to write about.

I’ll try to view this as a glass half full but I’m sure there will be disagreement which of course is understandable.

Honours won post Ferguson:

FA CUP: 2016

LEAGUE CUP: 2017, 2023

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE: 2017

4 Major trophies in 10 years. Maybe 1 more may be won.

The natural accentuation over this period would be on the players brought in the the recruitment of Management/Backroom staff.

Those shoes essentially was always going to be highly difficult to replace and emulate the success.

My main point to raise though to sort of back up my own appraisal is that the climate Manchester United face compared to the 20 years they dominated is the noticeable level of competitiveness surrounding other clubs in the Premier League and the incomes they themselves generate/receive.

Manchester City the obvious standout of a ‘rival in the way’ and you have had their dominance to compete against.

Back then it was effectively, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea. But the other teams surrounding were not strong enough to be able to take points off the big guns.

Transition: dismantling of the old and rebuild of new; natural process of this needs time and nurture.

Going forward though, there needs to be stability and settlement rather than change after change after change (notably an emphasis on the players).

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        CM
        Participant

Back then it was effectively, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea. But the other teams surrounding were not strong enough to be able to take points off the big guns.

Is that because the quality of teams have depleted over time in comparison to what they once were. Besides from City, I don’t think many players from this era will be remembered as elite.

Salah, Van Dijk, Kane being the only noticeable ones outside of City.

You look at the points total now and how many games Liverpool and City have lost when competing for the title in comparison to when United, Arsenal, Chelsea dominated too. Leeds United could beat anyone on there day back then, same with Spurs and Liverpool.

The game is going through a period where every top team across europe besides from 1 or 2 are at their worse.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

I think there is a correlation of stakes and hinging in the measure of instant success combined with more tactical awareness, physical demands and the way the game is played.

I would add too the way players are recruited. I.e. In the Premier League, there is less risk taken in from top flight clubs in buying somebody let’s say from the Championship. Of course, they don’t cost the earth, however the more likelihood is for a club to shop around abroad.

Word gets out more loosely than ever because of the vast mediums of communications. These players are then priced up because of the interest drawn from other clubs. There are not that many players to go around for those that are READY.

There is more demand than supply in-spite of youth development, there’s an expectation of being able to hit the ground running. You need a combination of:

– Ready Made
            – Experienced
            – Youth

I think this has been one critical factor for United in hampered success. The constant changing because of the lack of success.

Teams 10-15 years ago outside the Top 4 lacked competitiveness, most likely because of lesser revenue. These days there is for example, multiple sponsorships and TV revenue so clubs can hold on to their most valuable players and build around them rather than lose them.

If you place that side-by-side against a team on a decline, the likelihood is for that team to be Stronger and less Fearful.

Manchester United notably lost their fear.

This actually coincides to a degree the way Liverpool have been this season. Once teams detect there is no fear factor, they will cotton on to that and that soon becomes a ripple effect.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

I think, like in all walks of life, the number of truly outstanding people in their fields, e.g. managers, CEOs and scouts, is tiny. Look at F1 and Adrian Newey with Red Bull. Similar with Guardiola in the league. And the top teams will quickly soak up that tiny amount of talent and the rest tend to end up overcompensating by overspending.

The other problem that I think has exacerbated things is that we’re now seeing the ghastly consequences of corporatism in a lot of sports where winning is no longer enough – you have to dominate. This inevitably filters down to the fans who also become increasingly obsessive. The fans of the top teams who are succeeding may enjoy it, but to everyone else, it’s the same teams at the top, year in, year out, unless another billionaire comes in somewhere.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Mikus, what I do see greater than ever in sports is what can be achieved from a monetary point of view. That’s the notable obsession. They are the stakes.

It’s not the sport itself, it’s the ‘package’. Even Tennis and Roger Federer.

I saw it with Steven Hendry in the 90s and Davis a little bit in the 80s. It’s the hunger of wanting to carrying on and continue being successful which is fine of course, but, the enjoyment feels short-lived and taken out turning more into an obsession.

I may be digressing, but ironically, this is the quality Ferguson had and perhaps psychologically, an underlying secret ingredient when you have just won.

It’s a swift celebration, then back to the grindstone to achieve another.

This is what I’ve seen with Manchester City and in full beam with Pep Guardiola. He has been their best fit, their perfect fit.

United’s dominance wasn’t competing against a Billionaire owner or a sleeping giant. I wonder what Newcastle may become let’s say in 3-5 years time.

Time and Trust too is essential rather than perpetuation. It doesn’t help too the way press conferences are in the current climate and every result being super analyzed to the point of it being a trial in court.

Allow Managers and Players time to breathe and really find their way.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.