Home Community General Football No Hunger In Paradise

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pagan
    Participant

Having now watched the BT Sport film of the above name, and I hope others on here do/have, it would be interesting to hear what people thought.

For me there was nothing new on the way kids are treated, the overriding stance of those in the game was saying how harsh it can be, but that’s how it is.

The academy heads came across as exactly what they are, salesmen, selling a dream to parents and kids.

I’ve heard some horrendous things at academies, how players are judged, some academies don’t scout on talent but on athleticism. Girls football can be worse than boys from what I’ve seen.

For me the two interesting segments were the mention of cage football, and performing arts.

Kids that come into football academies later, that have played street and cage footy tend to have more tricks, and don’t play the conventional way, which makes them stand out, the performing arts section promoted personal creativity, rather than being regimented.

My two main interests are sport and music, I have never prescribed exactly what and how players should do things and encouraged them to play to their own strengths to help the team, this crosses over from music for me as some of the greatest and innovative musicians are self taught.

…Pagan

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

I’ve seen both my Grandsons involved in Academies and on the whole I would say the experience has been positive primarily due to the quality of Coaching and Coaches per child which in our youngests Academy is about 8 players per Coach. It’s definitely improved them both.

There’s lot of responsibility that falls on the parents for instance Bristol City Academy U 10’s played Arsenal Academy U 10’s away a few weeks back and the parents were expected to get their boys to and from Arsenal’s London Colney training complex which is a minimum 6 hour round trip.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Pagan
        Participant

9, that’s down to the catchment regulations, players have to live within an hours travelling time, so the teams you play have to be a minimum of two hours away to stop them poaching your players.

Try cricket, every match is in a different county, that involves a bit of travelling, and the games are longer.

The whole of football knows how poorly the kids are treated, but no one will do anything about it as the rewards for both the clubs and the 0.012% that make can be phenomenal.

I suppose the trick is to work out which is the kid that might make it and if it’s not you or yours are you happy to be fodder….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          cm
          Participant

Years ago my 9 year old cousin got poached by Huddersfield Town. He has given up on football. Was not allowed to play for his school unless he had consent, they started telling him he was not allowed have a kick about with his mates. Something he enjoyed as a bit of fun became a chore. They say you have to put in hard work in order to make it, but come on, they are 9 years old, dont let them stop having fun at that age. His coach thought he was Pep Guardiola too. Always having a go at him for booting it out rather than passing it to the nearest player.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Pagan
            Participant

cm, school has priority over academies, that’s one of the rules, however you can’t play for anyone else, can’t have kick abouts as you say, and some stop you doing any other sports and even riding bikes or skateboarding etc. So that’s your childhood gone…Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

cm, there’s still a bit if that around but it doesn’t kick in until they are a bit older.

The emphasis now seems to be about loving the ball and each boy has his own ball and is expected to practice on his own with it and there’s a massive focus on improving skill sets and working with the ball.

Whether they are involved in Academies or playing with their mates for the school of their local amatuer club football is a game and it has to be enjoyed.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Pagan
                Participant

9, for me though as I’ve said the interesting bit was the cage footy reference and the performing arts bit. …Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  cm
                  Participant

Pagan- You could be right there. All I remember was him saying he had to let the school or club know whenever he had a game and have it signed off by one or the other in order for him to be allowed to play. I cannot remember whether it was the school or club that asked him to do that. They also had clashes in regards to match days and training, the club/school use to try and convince him which was the priority. This was 6-7 years ago and he has been completely put off by the game for years and is only slowly getting back in to it now.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    cm
                    Participant

9-

Agree with that. I understand clubs wanting to protect their talent and bubblewrap them in order to keep them safe etc. They also need to be realistic too.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

The Kieran Bywater example is a worrying one especially as there is a culling every season from age 7 and the disappointment of something like that can have a significant effect on young minds.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Pagan
                        Participant

The Brunt lad from Derby is also worrying to me, he’s stuck in non league unless someone coughs up £80k for something Derby don’t want….Pagan

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.