Home Community General Football Mauricio Pochettino: What next for Tottenham boss?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    steveosnakeeye
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47791236

Actually a pretty good read….

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Nobody will pay Levy what it costs to get Pochettino out of Spurs and his options have narrowed too.

Pochettino calling on Levy today in the press to show that Spurs are a big Club now by spending big in the transfer market this Summer.

It makes sense but can Spurs pay for a new Stadium and spend big as well? Arsenal couldn’t!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        steveosnakeeye
        Participant

and our stadium didnt cost a billion πŸ™‚
          they will have enough trouble just keeping players let alone getting more of the right quality in

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Oz
          Participant

I think Poch is a very good manager, remember spurs spent jack all for a while now and it’s only recently they fell off the top 2. They just played our mob who are on top and were at home and IMO deserved to at least draw that game, if not win it. They were the better team IMO. If they do spend I think they’ve got the right man at the helm to push for trophies, I just see them at the moment lacking a bit of depth to go the distance over a full season at the top, much like we lack that bit of quality in depth to get the title from city.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            steveosnakeeye
            Participant

i dont think anyone is saying he isnt a good manager, the question is (anf the points you have made yourself above) is, IF they spend and how much, he has been restricted, very much like AW was in the early years, so its not so much him as Levy….has he got the most he can out of this group of players? i think so….will they have money (and enough money) to spend and compete now with the stadium?
              remember lots of other teams will be spending big so not staying in place and or rebuilding…so will they get the players they really want and need? and if not then for him as a manager what then? he was won nothing….im sure he wants to, im sure he wants to at Spurs…unlikley to happen unless Levy supports him and even then it may be to late, let alone the 10 years to change mentality comment…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

What’s next for Poch? The Utd job in 3 months.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                steveosnakeeye
                Participant

hahahahah, or maybe the Chelsea job? they are likely going to fire Sarri and who then?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

How many times have they fired Rafa again? πŸ˜› Only once?..maybe Rafa next at Chelsea.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    nine nine nine

Personally I would take Rafa over Sarri who sadly I think is out of his depth.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      maverick1973
                      Participant

Bayern,Juve,United,Chelsea,PSG-would be requiring new managers come the end of the season…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Mav. there’s no way United will be looking to replace Ole at the end of the season that would make even Chelsea look sensible!?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          maverick1973
                          Participant

The end is nigh,mate! Lol

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

ya I mean Rafa has kept a very poor Newcastle team in the PL 2 seasons in a row. I have a feeling that he’ll have had enough of it now and will move on this summer. Surely one of the big clubs will have the sense to go for him? He’s calling for Β£75m this summer to get Newcastle going again but the thing is, they need a lot more than that. They won’t even match that amount though, you watch. Not without a new owner anyway. Fat head is too greedy to ever own a successful PL side.

I would like to see Rafa go back to Chelsea, that’s not gonna sit well with the other Liverpool fans but he’s got unfinished business there. He won the EL cup and they didn’t even offer him the job. Now there’s a shortage of quality managers out there… but he’s probably available, for a club that has ambitions and one that will back him in the market.

I’ll always be grateful to Rafa for 2005. Also he did nearly win the league with us as well. he made the club relevant on the big stage again and I really want him to succeed, no matter where.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Editor
                              Keymaster

Good read that.

One thing I don’t agree with though is that clubs would have an issue with paying the rumoured 30-40mil to get him. I realise clubs aren’t used to paying those sums for a manager but why not? Why does a club not blink an eye spending 30mil on a left back who may or may not make it but they would frown an paying the same for the single most important position at the club?

I don’t buy into the argument that he is great because he takes part in title races for a few games every season. That, for me, is a weakness rather than a strength. Like Wenger, he inherited a very good defence. He has the top striker in the world, possibly the best playmaker in the league, has had 5 years to get the squad just the way he wants it.

He’s a decent manager who keeps Spurs amongst the top 4 places but he’s never going to be any more than that until he wins some silverware. Regardless of how much or little he’s had to spend, he has the squad to win something.

Whilst I think we’ll massively regret appointing Ole, I don’t think we’ll regret not going for Poch.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                maverick1973
                                Participant

Dont get that sexy Aussie started,will you Ed???

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Nike19
                                  Participant

I don’t see any remote hint of Levy wanting to shaft Posh out.

Naturally, I go by what I come across though radio and tv and from that, what I see and like in Levy is that he has confidence and a long term vision for Poch.

In a subconscious way, a wipe-the-slate clean from a new Stadia and developing from then on.

It’s a pure matter of patience and great positives in present to genuinely give everything in CL and not to think negatively at all about falling out of top 4.

Poch one of the sound relaxed and a first class Manager good stay.⚽️⚽️⚽️???

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Mikus LFC
                                    Participant

In many ways, Poch is a victim of his job description – i.e. keep finishing top 4 to make money. That’s what keeps Daniel Levy happy anyway. But then, Poch can’t really complain given that he signed a long lucrative five year contract last summer knowing there was still going to be limited money to spend in the future, yet he still happily signed and made it difficult to move on because of the hefty buy out clause. Levy is happy because he thinks he’ll be like Wenger and help keep earning the top 4 revenues. And Poch has a long lucrative contract. Money. Money, money, money. That’s what success is now to clubs, chairmen, managers and players. But not fans.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Nike19
                                      Participant

Mikus,

that’s very true. If you think about it from just Poch individually, he could be wise from his own journey to think he’s in a better place than to for example go Man U or Real Madrid knowing there’s always the Trapdoor in waiting if failing Club/Owner Expectations.

From Poch’s own point of view, it could be his ideal ‘comfort zone’, I don’t see Levy as such being a problem as long as he can bring in a ‘Moneyspinner’. The Answer is to then Answer Tottenham Supporters rightly demanding whether there’s genuine emphasis and vision to aspire to winning trophies.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

That’s it Mikus. People wonder why he hasn’t moved on but why would he? According to reports, he’s under absolutely no pressure to win anything. He’s got the most comfortable job in the league, doesn’t have to sell any of his best players, is one of the best paid managers in the league. He goes to a team who expects him to win things and it’s an entirely different ball game. Fail to deliver then and he’s out, whereas he doesn’t have to worry about that at Spurs.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Mikus LFC
                                          Participant

Agree Nil, but it’s hard to see how that ever resolves itself and whether the fans voices will ever be heard because they’ll still ultimately support the club no matter what, so the owners have them over a barrel.

Ed, it doesn’t say much of his ambition does it? In some ways you look at why Moyes failed at Utd, and whilst he may never have been a big success, I don’t think it helped that he got far too comfortable at Everton, and he never showed any ambition to leave and try another club (even if he had to go abroad). His stock remained pretty high in the media though. But by the time he did get a big job, it was so out his comfort zone and so alien to him, he was like a fish out of water. And when he did go abroad and try and restart his career, it was far too late. He’s just completely fizzled out.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.