Home Community Liverpool Man Utd V Liverpool – March 10th @ 12:30

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This is always a big match that often has valuable points on the table. We head to Old Trafford looking to further our development and our ambitions of securing 2nd place. I’m not a big fan of Jose and I’m not a big fan of playing against him. What used to be a match to look forward to in terms of quality of attacking football, is now a tactical noose and a disappointing spectacle for the neutrals.

Regardless of how we might feel about Jose and his teams style of play, he’s been very effective in shutting us down of late.

Over the past year or so I think Liverpool’s play has been evolving. Where we might have been considered to be a bit of a glass cannon not even too long ago, we’re now seeing not only some general balance but some improvements in the depth of our play.

Salah definitely adds quite the threat and doesn’t need loads of space to operate in. He’s been a perfect addition to a team struggling to breakdown stubborn defences. It’s easy to dish out credit to the front 3 cause they are all the hype these days, so I’ll go right to the defence. Robertson and Van Dijk look to have been excellent signings so far. I mean , I didn’t know a thing about Robertson before and now that I have seen him play quite a bit for us, well.. he’s just fantastic.

Robertson has potential world class written all over him but forget the individual and look at what he brings (along with TAA, to a lesser extent I guess). We have genuine width there in attack, with players who really know how to cross the ball. This is really important to have when teams who refused to disembark from their team bus. We’ve added this dimension not only without sacrificing something at the back but we have done it and improved at the back.

What I’m getting to here is that the changes made have gone a long way towards ending our recent problems against teams who do nothing but sit back. Man Utd will park the bus to some extent but they will also stifle the midfield. We have to be ready for this and it might be a big game for Van Dijk and his range of passing.

As far as we have come under Klopp and as happy as i am about this seasons development, I’m still worried about this match as Jose always brings a performance against us. Ever since the Rafalution, he’s really enjoyed choking the life out of our encounters and it’s won him points in the past. I do think that we owe them a beating but are we ready to do this at Old Trafford?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

I’ve been hugely impressed with the full-backs Mak. They just get on with the job and take care of their playing positions which in itself, takes care of our any potential danger that could come from either flanks.

With Van Dijk coming in, I don’t feel like a used in thinking a calamity is around the corner. I feel more assured as it seems to me either/or Lovren and Matip can play alongside VVD.

The way Klopp’s set the midfields since Ox has gradually now flourished to seemingly how he wants it.

I now longer just see this so-called ‘gegenpressing’, but more of a well-oiled machine that can patiently build up play from the back.

These are positives going into the United game, but as you rightly point out, Jose himself is tactically astute, especially when it comes to discipline.

We’ve drawn twice at Anfield since his arrival and goalless too. Maybe at Old Trafford, another 0-0 is on the cards and Karius really shines for us and has one of his best games. That would be good for me. This is an acid test given the circumstances of what seems a lot more vivid in competing for second place.

A United win would see them gain a valuable numerical advantage, and with the same number of games played. From an attacking point of view, my only disappointment is not having Phillipe, and that’s just down to his magical free kicks and his ability to score from a tight angle when getting into the box, but I think we’ve already countered that as Mane, Firmino and Salah are all synced and on par with either not only on technical ability, but form and TEAMPLAY.

I don’t rate United’s defence that highly compared to previous sets of eras, but it’s just the way Jose sets them up that could thwart us, but as you rightly say, Salah has natural ability to make something out of nothing in the tightest of spaces.

Here’s hoping. We are blessed meanwhile in the way things stand with Porto – as long as we don’t concede 5 goals, hahaha πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

0-0 or 1-1 written all over it,Banjo just told me.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

Ya Nil, the feeling that a calamity is just around the corner has largely gone. We will still need the remaining games to have the players gel further at the back and that includes Karius. His save against Newcastle is something I want to see more of. it will likely be a much tougher game though as Utd will test him for sure, so we’ll see how he handles both that and the pressure at Old Trafford.

As for Coutinho, I don’t miss him as much as I thought I would. So far the others have stepped it up but we’ll have to wait and see if this is a temporary surge in form, or if it’s something that can be maintained. I’m leaning towards the latter as I think Oxlade is really looking at home in this team. He might not have the flair of Coutinho but he’s got a lot more grit, which is something that I think we have needed. I don’t want to sound like I’m selling him short either as he’s got plenty of ability too. A really good signing and I think we can all see why we paid so much for him, now.

It’s great to see Mane adding goals back to his game recently too. He seems a lot happier now again, I will admit that I was getting worried there.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Good shout on Ox, Mak. I completely agree, he does show grit.

Like he did against Man City some weeks back, I would love to see him run through the centre robustly and try one. It’s a great dimension to have in the team, somebody being a classic central midfielder.

Hopefully more goals out of him too which is always nice knowing goals can come from other players and not just our main two or three.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              paul powers tash
              Participant

For peace and harmony on here.I hope it’s a draw πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                maverick1973
                Participant

I will make Nil a masala,tikka-masala if United win.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  sean the sailor
                  Participant

People will say I’m being negative but I did say we would beat Newcastle lol

I just can’t see us winning this. Utd have lost two home games in 18 months both to city

Utd just pull out results like againest cheksea. They won’t go all guns blazing at us they certainly won’t park the bus

I’d take a draw right now. Very worrying that Klopp isn’t resting anyone on wed and be no surprise if one of our top players get injured

We never have much luck againest utd. If play well then who knows. We can certainly hurt them. We can’t hide. Be brave and don’t let the atmosphere get to us

Vvd against lackau be the key battle. Always hate this fixture at ot. Jose will no doubt have a plan for us. Be a gane or few chances.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    whoisbeni
                    Participant

Cant believe you predicted a win against Newcastle Sean – are you getting wild and reckless in your old age?
                      Maybe its fatherhood and the long periods of sleepless nights warping your mind.

being seven points clear of fifth with only nine left to play I’m almost starting to believe we might be in with an outside chance of a top 4 finish.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      cm
                      Participant

Liverpool win for me. United have been inconsistent lately and Liverpool have picked up a bit of form. If Jose goes with Smalling and Jones as a centre back pairing, then Firminho, Mane and Salah will cause all sorts of problems. United will also have 1 eye on the CL too. Liverpools 2nd leg is a dead rubber days prior, so Klopp can afford to rest a few players.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

Banjo “Whatsap”ed me (puppy’s getting it on with technology, the bugger will be e-mailing me soon!), he reckon’s it’s going to a 2-2 draw and a new Prem record for yellow cards with the about of diving around that’s going to occur… peep… oh wait, and 3 reds!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

The calamity comes at SB fellas. This games got draw written all over it.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Anonymous

I disagree. I would be right with ye in saying it has draw written all over it a few months but but things have changed for us. We’ve got more tricks in our sleeve now and will be a lot harder to stifle. We have more useful width and a more solid defence. I’m not looking forward to the spectacle but the more I think about this game, the more positive I get on it, if even only slightly.

I do think Klopp will rest players, no matter what he said. . or use the match to bring some back in ie. Lallana. He could start against Utd if he gets 90 mins tomorrow and anyway, 4 days is plenty of rest. We’ve recently had 10 days without football so we’re not on the back end of anything here.

If we make it through the match tomorrow without any problems and then go to Utd and play as as well as we can then I think we’ll beat them. We’ve slowly been gaining on utd for a while now. They are now only 2 points ahead of us and it took 2 late goals to save them from defeat to Palace. They aren’t anything special at all. They are a good team who know how to take the spoils from ruined matches but they will be up against the best attack in the world right now, so let’s have a little optimism.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Chucky McChuckface
                              Participant

Pick one Mac, buddy, if Klopp starts with arguably your strongest 11, half(ish) of your above post is right, but if he starts fringe players while “resting” others, then half(ish) of your post isn’t so right… πŸ™‚

With Banjo’s serious hat on, I reckon you boys have a great chance if you go full strength but if it’s option B, then YooUtd will bore us all for breakfast.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

I’m with Mak on this point of a draw; first up, I wouldn’t be too disappointed with it myself, but with the way the team is now on the back of the addition of Van Dijk, and certain individuals establishing themselves well and finding form, factor in too, our recent run of results away from home and not being beaten since the Swansea defeat.

Without talking ourselves up too high, I do believe we have moved up a few notches and would be a good punt for a win. I don’t want to jinx it, but it’s something I’d say we’d be capable of and shouldn’t be fearful of the task.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  maverick1973
                                  Participant

If Liverpool does not beat us this time they never will.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

i think liverpool will win comfortably. going for 3-1.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      sean the sailor
                                      Participant

2-1 utd. Beaten them twice in nine years at ot.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        sean the sailor
                                        Participant

Hate the Favourites tag and fully expect us to bottle Saturday

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Big Jim
                                          Participant

No surprise there Sean !lol??

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 162 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.