Home Community Liverpool Liverpool V FC Porto – Tuesday – 19;45

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Well, according to a report from the BBC, there is unlikely to be any wholesale changes for tonight.

I was thinking about this, and even though we have an overwhelming lead to bring with us at Anfield, it’s 90 minutes at the end of the day and anything can happen.

It’s therefore more about our approach and game plan and how the course of events pan out. For example, if we were 1 goal up and it was half-time, there’s then a possibility to send players for an early bath.

Obviously we want to see this tie through positively and that we don’t lose the match in itself, but at the same time with a big game on Sat, we don’t want any issues with injuries.

Good attitude of Klopp overall to treat both the competition and the opposition with respect.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Dead rubber. PSG v Real tonight for me.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

I missed most of the game but then had a high quality stream but with American commentators. . . . Jesus.

Awful, cringe-worthy commentary.

Anyway, we learned nothing here, we were already through but I figured that Klopp would in-fact use this match to rest and recover, so I hope that we got value for that.

I guess the draw for the next round won’t be for a couple of weeks what with them staggering the matches out more these days. I’ve really just wanted to know who our quarter final opponents will be since the 5-0 win.

One thing tonight, I’d really love to have seen Ings score that header towards the end. The guy has had such a hard time of it, he’s apparently working incredibly hard to get fit (AGAIN). A Champions League goal at for him at Anfield would have been a spoon of sugar with all the medicine.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

A clean sheet with Alberto Moreno πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Clean sheet and through to the next round

Getting to the qtr final is significant progress for us.

I’d like real or Barca next round

Just want to avoid utd, city and spurs , cheksea if they get through

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

With you buddy, IF we get through tonight, you gonna want a European side if possible, feels like a bit of a cheat otherwise!

Don’t know about Barca so much, but your boys would have Real for breakfast.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Hmmmh, not sure about the wisdom of wanting to draw Barca Sean but Real are do able by Liverpool providing your defence holds up Barca over two legs would be a bigger challenge imo.

It’s good to see English teams in the Qtr Finals but unfortunately the negative side of that is that it throws up the much greater chance of drawing a PL club in the Qtr Finals.

It all gets a bit more difficult in the CL from the Qtr Finals on.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

Nine, my guess for Sean wanting Barca is maybe 2 fold. They’ve unsettled our players over th eyears and also that he’s confident that we can take them, especially over 2 legs.

We do very well against top teams who like to control the ball.

I say bring them on (if they know ye out).

Personally, I don’t want to draw a PL team. I want the CL so much so that we can play against the best teams from around Europe and to hopefully leave them in our wake, on the way to the trophy.

Can we do it this year? Yes.

Will we, who knows, so many good teams left.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    sean the sailor
                    Participant

Nine I’d rather Barca then utd or cheksea. Cheksea can still go through

Barca leave gaps. They push on and attack leaving space. They play a huge line. No one way saying we would beat them but they way they play would suit us down the ground

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Hightown hope

I think you’ve got to want the winner of either the Roma-Shaktar game or the Utd-Sevilla game, and hope that City and Barca get drawn together in the quarters. While Barca do leave a high line and maybe aren’t great at the back, they are also capable of battering anyone. We could be at the Nou Camp in the first leg and quite conceivably lose 4-0, and that is game over, and the same goes for City. Whereas Roma, Shaktar, Utd and Sevilla are nowhere near at the level of those two teams, therefore, by definition, giving us a better chance of progressing.

It was weird last night – after all these years of waiting again for the Champions League knockout stage at Anfield, it was a damp squib. While I am in no way complaining about the 5-0 first leg win, it kind of robbed us of a big european night!! Of course I would take the same outcome again in the next round!!

One other point from last night regarding the Porto fans. Considering they were 5-0 down their turnout and noise they made last night was superb, except, and this is a big except, the behaviour of a reasonably large majority during the minute’s silence was disgraceful, and the Anfield crowd let them know in no uncertain terms.

But a strange night overall, but roll on the quarters!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

I wouldn’t agree that we’d have a better chance against Utd than the likes of Barca. Sure, Barca might batter us but we might batter them too. They play into our hands tactically, when we play into Utds hands tactically. Utd are a much worse team than Barca but look at our recent performances and results against them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Hightown hope

I know what you mean, Mak, but I find it difficult to say Barca will be an easier game than Utd. They won’t be – I know our recent results against Utd have been poor, but it wasn’t that long ago we deservedly beat them in the Europa, and remember they struggle to beat us as much as we struggle to beat them.

Barceloan would be a great tie, but have a look at the bookies odds if we draw Barca. Who do you think will be favourites? It won’t be us, and the bookies odds, while not always right, tend to give an unemotional and objective view of how the tie will go. If we were to draw Utd, I fancy we’d be the favourites, albeit narrow ones.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            sean the sailor
                            Participant

I’d rather be the underdog Hightown

Utd would stifle us. Look at Anfield last two games with utd there

We won’t get many chances againest them on sat either

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Hightown hope

But Sean, you’re missing my point. We’d be underdogs for a reason, and that is that Barca are a f****** good side!! Admittedly, the thought of going out to Utd doesn’t bear thinking about, and I’d far rather go out to Barca than Utd. I gues we’ve just got to hope that Sevilla turn them over!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

I sort of get the avoidance of English teams, but I think there’s an Oversight. We have beaten Man United at Old Trafford, I think in total of all comps since year 2000, 5.

We knocked them out of the Europa. That has to be a plus.

Seville is one team I don’t like in Europe, and Barca as I loathe them, but we should really be comfortable to face any team out there rather than place a team as some kind of a nemesis, lifetime.

As a side note, I noticed this in Snooker last weekend; Ronnie for some reason folds up whenever he has to face John Higgins, and really, John Higgins CAN be beaten as with Hendry, in his latter years.

You can go in with caution by all means, but being fearful and looking for an easy ride, won’t ultimately happen.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Nike19.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

Nil, I think the views expressed are more about wanting to play European teams rather PL teams rather than being concerns about facing a PL team but with 3 PL sides already heading through plus probably United next week PL teams will almost certainly be drawn against each other.

In terms of PL teams the only one imo Liverpool would be better avoiding is City. Cheers 999

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.