Home Community General Football Is this really any of my business?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

So this weekend, the news of Wayne Rooney’s scandal has made the headlines and is a perfect treat for papers to feed off and print the headlines.

I’ve gone beyond the notion of a footballer being a role model. The fact is to me they are not, my parents are though, this will not be perceived in the same way by others.

The club of course has every right to intervene as far as the drink-driving charge goes, but anything beyond that as far as his marital affairs isn’t any of my business nor should it be Joe Public’s.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Agree with most of what you say, but there is the small issue of Looney being paid vast sums of money for being a role-model to a generation. Considering that notion, I have no problem with the red-tops pointing out he’s a bit of a hypocrite in that regard… if you take money to put yourself in the public eye, then you can’t simply complain about the public eye staring back.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

To me, it’s just another example of the lack of professionalism which prevented, arguably, the most talented English player for a generation from reaching the heights his early promise hinted he was capable of.

I’m not suggesting he was unprofessional throughout his career but these incidents which have cropped up at various times during his career indicate he lacked that extra bit of application and maturity which makes great players outstanding ones.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

I’ll suggest it for you Eddy, Looney should have gone down in history as a considerably better player than he was. Yes, he has a hatful of trophies and records, but it would take a brave man to suggest he was as professional as he could have been and if he had his head screwed on properly he wouldn’t have achieved so much more…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Totally appreciate that particular angle of reasoning Chucky, 2:24. I guess it’s always been the way as far as the British media goes: Excessive hype followed by grabbing with both hands the moment there’s an opportunity to take somebody down.

Maybe it’s argued that you reap what you sow and also by the nature, the media are well within their rights to report and publish the facts.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Careworkerlfc
              Participant

Rooney…Role Model….. No, Absolute Idiot…..Yes

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Sadly if he loses his marriage he could go the way of Gazza. What a fool I feel sorry for Coleen and when she’s pregnant too!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

I am slightly flummoxed as to why this has happened in the first place.

He’s reached what I would see at full circle in his playing career. He’s hung his boots as far as the International stage goes (fair dos), and he’s back with where he begun his career from.

Better shape than ever, playing well, has wife and children and yet this.

Just goes to show as Joe public we can only go by what we see and read. Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Big Jim
                    Participant

Personally I couldn’t care less what happens to Rooney. He’s a knob, always has been always will be. Just a very previlidged one. Plenty more people in this world to have sympathy for than him.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Editor
                      Keymaster

Oh I don’t have an ounce of sympathy for him Jim. It’s his wife and kids I have sympathy for. I appreciate they’re incredibly privileged too but nobody deserves treatment like that whilst pregnant with his child. As 999 suggests, it feels like he could easily go off the rails if he loses his family

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Big Jim
                        Participant

I guess we are talking about him being in a car with a young woman at 2am in the morning. I believe he has done this sort of thing before so his wife knows what he is like. It happens, he is a selfish prat but no different to thousands if not millions of others that do similar things every week in the uk. It’s not nice but im guessing she will cope. Clearly I dont know them and I am not particularly interested in what they or anybody else gets up to. I know millions are interested in that sort of gossip which is up to them but its just not my kind of thing.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Big Jim
                          Participant

More importantly why do the rules state that you can’t appeal yellow cards? Especial 2nd ones that result in a red?? I have never understood this.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Chucky McChuckface
                            Participant

Big J… what’s next? Appealing free-kicks and corners? Got to draw the line somewhere buddy!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Big Jim
                              Participant

No Banjo, but I think a red card after a second yellow should be appealed as it has a direct consequence on the next game. A corner or free kick doesn’t does It. What allow appeals for straight reds? And not a second yellow. Surely they are the same.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Let me put it another way, if you start to appeal the second yellow as it resulted in a red, then how long before you start appealing the first yellow, which in turns makes the second yellow a red… then when do you start appealing the free-kicks/offences that counted up to get the first yellow in the first place…

Personally, I would say scrap the whole appeal process… give the kids less excuses to whine in the first place and they’ll stop whining soon enough.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  whoisbeni
                                  Participant

really cant be bothered with this sort of thing – especially as none of us are angels ourselves.

however, a few quips made me smile

“Chelsea sign Drinkwater and Everton sign Drink Driver!”

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.