Home Community General Football Is it getting just too much?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

With the news that Raheem Sterling allegedly wants a £100k per week rise in order to commit to a new contract at City and Chelsea being prepared to increase Eden Hazads’s wages by £100k per week in order to entice him to sign a new contract are players wages now spiralling completely out of control?

Current highest earners list. (Daily Mail 15/09)

1 Alexis Sanchez Manchester United £350,000
      2= Harry Kane Tottenham Hotspur £300,000
      2= Mesut Ozil Arsenal £300,000
      4 Paul Pogba Manchester United £290,000
      5 Kevin De Bruyne Manchester City £280,000
      6 Romelu Lukaku Manchester United £250,000
      7 Sergio Aguero Manchester City £220,000
      8= Mohamed Salah Liverpool £200,000
      8= David de Gea Manchester United £200,000
      8= Eden Hazard Chelsea £200,000
      8= Riyad Mahrez Manchester City £200,000
      12 Virgil van Dijk Liverpool £180,000
      12= Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Arsenal £180,000
      14 Raheem Sterling Manchester City £175,000
      15 Alexandre Lacazette Arsenal £170,000
      16 David Silva Manchester City £160,000
      17= Cesc Fabregas Chelsea £150,000
      17= Alvaro Morata Chelsea £150,000
      19= Daniel Sturridge Liverpool £150,000
      20 Ross Barkley Chelsea £150,000

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Doc
      Participant

A fair number of those players are earning far too much. Just think Sicknote Sturridge that amount of money for doing very little and only 10000/week below David Silva unbelievable.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Big Jim
        Participant

Ozil Barkley and Sturidge are the ones who have a lot of to be thankful to their agents for.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Totally agree with you Jim. But of course no one forces the club’s to pay those salaries the most inflated often come from end of contract situations which allows players to negotiate much more that they are really worth.

Sturridge when he negotiated that contract was hot not as then injured and apart from Gerrard Liverpool’s star man.

I wouldn’t be unhappy to see Hazard sign a new contract on £300k per week even though I think we are all paying the players too much but I guess that’s the selfish football fan in me.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

I’d say only DDG deserves to be on that list from Utd in relative terms. Some ridiculous wages there. But then again, if the money wasn’t going to these players, it would go to the chairmen and the rest of the men in suits.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              sean the sailor
              Participant

It’s just crazy crazy money when you think of it.

Like 300k a year is a fantastic wage so a week is like winning the lottery

It’s just absolute maddness the money in football. It’s realky mind boggling

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Big Jim
                Participant

Agree Ed it certainly wouldn’t filter down to the fans that’s for sure. Always the last in line for everything. That’s my biggest gripe about football.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Mikus LFC
                  Participant

It’s no longer a club game now, but a players one. Clubs are so paranoid about losing out to players abroad or to their rivals, they’ll pay them whatever it takes. And the players know this so they can name their price and they’ve got the club over a barrel. And the TV revenues are now making all this sustainable. So we’re the mugs that pay for it all because the clubs have got us over a barrel because loyal supporters will have to go along with it if they want to watch it all.

It’s a long way from the community football club it all grew out of. Yes, the bar has risen in terms of the quality of play but we’ve traded that off for a vastly higher price whilst also tossing our youngsters (the real heart of a team) aside so promoting a more clinical corporate type club culture as opposed to a community one. The quality may be better but the heart has long gone.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

It was too much the moment a footballers weekly salary topped the yearly salary for the rest of us mugs… and I’m trying to figure out how many decades ago that was…

And I’m off down the pub… see you all later… or not!!! 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      maverick1973
                      Participant

Ozil and Pogba more than KDB,Lukaku more than Aguero and Salah? Fabregas,Sturridge,and Barkley on £150k?.Are you kidding me?

ps:I thought Sanchez was on like £26m a year?lol

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        maverick1973
                        Participant

Add the likes of Wilshere and Fellaini on over £100k a week,and you get a crazy world.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

The money will never be too much. The players will get paid what they are worth. To norms like you and me, that might seem ridiculous but this is what the market determines they get paid.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            maverick1973
                            Participant

To norms like you and me, I m a Klingon!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

Ramsey demanding £300k p/w? Fecking madness!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Hightown hope

Chucky – that’s an interesting question as to when a players weekly wage topped the average national annual wage. I remember when John Barnes’ salary was increased to £10k a week i.e. ‘only’ half a million year, and there was an outcry. Now if my memory serves me well, that was only in about 1992, so really the outrageous increases have all actually occurred in only the last twenty years, or maybe even less!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Chucky McChuckface
                                  Participant

I reckon half a mill in 1992 could be considered outrageous…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Hightown hope

Do you think? He was, by all accounts, the best paid player in England at the time, and while it is certainly when compared to my salary both then and now, I would argue that it has become far, far more outrageous in the last 10 or 15 years. I’m guessing the avarage salary in the uk in 1992 was more than £10k a year, probably somewhere between £15k and £20k I would guess.. So Barnes’ weekly wage was well short of the average annual wage at the time. In 2016, the average salary in the UK was £27k or thereabouts, and there are plenty of players on 5 or ten times that, or even more, so while £500k a year in 1992 was a very good wage, of course it was, it was also for the one player in the league who was at the top of his profession (arguably!). You don’t have to be at the top of your profession now to earn every week 5 times what the average man earns a year. So in terms of exponential rises, it has gone apeshit in the last 2 decades

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

Would be nice to see top 10 Agents wages now…..on the other hand, it would make me even more depressed looking at figures like this

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Chucky McChuckface
                                        Participant

I just discovered with much merriment that our 3rd choice goalie Gazza is earning a paltry 20,000k a week… if that’s not evidence it’s all gone bonkers I don’t know what is!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          maverick1973
                                          Participant

Hazard should be paid over £500k p/w I reckon.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.