Home Community General Football Inconsistent VAR

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    CM
    Participant

A interesting tweet about how inconsistent VAR has been. United seem to have suffered a fair amount since that Onana decision. It is not the technology that is the problem, it is the refs who are using it and the pundits who selectively choose what they want to cover and not to talk about. Refs seem to bulk under pressure.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      CM
      Participant

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

This tech was brought in effectively for a hardline conclusive yes or no. For instance goal-line. That particular part has been useful and something to keep hold of.

The difficulties have been the consistencies and the more difficult ones that have made it open to interpretation that something black and white;

– offside
          – handball

Now, the Ref who covered the Luton game was the VAR man at the Newcastle game. They are naturally familiar with the rules and come across regular occurrences like Handball and Offside which should be bread and butter to them and should be dealt with Efficiency.

These are the key words: Efficiency and Competency.

On TV etc from today, Arsenal have been criticized for officially giving a club statement, but what would expect?

On the other side of this, I’ve personally stuck with the mentality that decisions will even themselves out over a period of time. I’m hoping what happened at Tottenham and Newcastle doesn’t happen again, but what has unfolded so far doesn’t fill me with confidence and of course the inconsistencies. It’s not so much the rules, but it’s the persons managing the tech that are not seeing or aligning themselves to what thousands otherwise are.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          CM
          Participant

Looks like Liverpool should have got a penalty

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Utd seem cursed by VAR lately.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/38196464/how-var-decisions-affect-premier-league-club-2023-24

Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Newcastle have all had at least as many pens so far this season as Utd have had all of last season and this season combined.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              threeps
              Participant

I don’t think Wolves fans will show much sympathy towards Utd to be honest. You can thank VAR for giving you a home win!

The handball rule will always cause debate. If the ball is blasted at a player from close range should it be a pen? Depends on their arm positions in my opinion. Natural then no, making themselves bigger then yes. Pointing for whatever reason in the first few seconds of a CL final then definitely yes.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Editor
                Keymaster

The problem with the likes of the Wolves decision Threeps (which was 100% the wrong decision and we were fortunate), is that it was an anomaly but people see that and see that it’s Utd and assume it happens all the time. What irks Utd fans though is that Wolves decision was discussed all week on Sky Sports, Talksport etc with everyone being outraged. When we don’t get decsisions, it’s just not given any airtime. The lack of talk around the non-penalty at Spurs a great example.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  threeps
                  Participant

The Romero handball vs Utd in my opinion definitely a pen. But we’ve seen many handballs situations like that all season (and last) and it’s probably a bit boring. But underdog Wolves denied a clear penalty at the mighty Theatre of Dreams? Now that is a story that will get clicks and people talking.

Don’t think there’s an agenda against Utd.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Editor
                    Keymaster

Oh 100% I don’t think there’s an agenda against Utd Threeps. No doubt we’ll get our share of decisions.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Alfie_1
                      Participant

Threeps, this sort of proves CM’s point. Huge decision against Wolves which is widely talked about (and seemingly justification for the numerous ridiculous and inconsistent decisions that have gone against Utd since), but no one talks about the handball on the line by Wolves which should have been a red card and a pen. Wolves can only complain about one if they acknowledge the other. Sky etc don’t even mention the handball. Half of the problem is that people focus on the one decision that goes in Utd’s favour. Football needs to grow up and stop being so tribal.

Arsenal weren’t asking for refs to improve after the decisions that went in their favour against Utd. To say they want to help train the refs so they can improve now a decision has gone against them is a joke.

Football needs to unite rather than go back to tribal rivalries.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        threeps
                        Participant

No team has ever complained of a decision going their way, although I get your point.

When Diaz’s goal was wrongly not given (due to an issue that was beyond simple interpretation) you know how much abuse and piss taking Liverpool and their fans received? Yet it never occurred to these people that highlighting every mistake no matter which teams are involved can only benefit everyone in the long run.

Unfortunately some mistakes are held with greater weight by broadcasters and journalists than others depending on the situation. They dont care about improving the game, they just want to sell a story.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          sean the sailor
                          Participant

It highlighted more as utd are one of the biggest clubs in the world. There’s no agenda againest yet teams it’s just piss poor refreeing and var.

You give city that pen v utd then they have to be given every week. Its inconsistent and ridiculous

Worst decision of the weekend was the sheff utd pen. Wolves have got a serious raw deal this season.

It’s just a shambles at the minute. Utd can certainly feel aggrieved at some decisions but so can other teams.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Nike19
                            Participant

We need I feel the tech guy on the pitch. Forget all this Stockley Park nonsense. The reason I say this is that the guys are there. This should be supplemented with the naked eye and really, the calls cannot be that hard to make.

I hate believing there’s conspiracy and don’t like going down that road.

Let’s try it. Rather than hiding away in some kind of a shed or whatever, let’s have this transparent and have it organized systematically and managed in a civilized and professional way.

I’m a little annoyed btw with Mikel Arteta as he didn’t seem too bothered speaking about his views on the decision wrongly going against Liverpool, yet he bleats on about embarrassing when his own team is wronged.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Nike19
                              Participant

Yeah, I get it. VAR has ruined it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                sean the sailor
                                Participant

For me as a fan, I’d like var but only for certain decisions. It’s ruined the game as a supporter for me. You can’t celebrate a goal.

All the stoppages etc it’s just shite

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Mikus LFC
                                  Participant

Think Carragher has just argued similar in his latest column that VAR should be limited to goal line technology and automated offsides, which is probably about right for me.

The problem is if the original idea was only to flag up howlers that a referee missed or the old “clear and obvious”, who defines what is a clear and obvious fault that has been missed? Because the VAR officials have the availability of the replays, imo it pushes them to re-referee the game. But with a screen far away you’re still further away from reality, particularly when you start looking at slow mos. Unless it is an incident the referee or assistant hasn’t seen, say an off the ball incident, just leave it. For me, it’s still unlikely that the officials are going to miss a blatant foul so we need to stop fearing we’re going to have a big injustice. As I said some time ago, we need to use the technology, not let the technology use us, which I think is what has happened.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

Yeah agree Gents. Some good thoughts and points. Thinking in line with Carra too.

It’s dissecting more movements picked up that’s creating more work. The decisions made won’t be agreed upon and accepted but instead criticized.

The old way had it’s plus points for example, being able to celebrate a goal and play stopping straight away for offside.

All this check-complete nonsense has ruined it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Alfie_1
                                      Participant

I’m happy either way.

Let VAR re ref games (which it doesn’t do at the moment, they just look for certain things), but if the want to re ref games they need to be consistent.

Or do the clear howlers, the clear handballs which are missed etc. not tackles, not marginal offsides, not pushes in the back etc.

Or just do goal line tech and offsides.

The main thing that players, managers and fans want is consistency and it’s ridiculous that we can’t have that. So if we can’t have what we want then reduce the footprint of VAR as it is ruining the game in more ways than one (I am sure refs aren’t making decisions in the knowledge that VAR is a safety net).

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        paul powers tash
                                        Participant

Yeah, I get it. VAR has ruined it.

Nike et al.Most people are missing the point.VAR isn’t the problem for me

It’s the people who are operating it.Once everyone starts singing from the same page.I think you’ll see a marked improvement.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Alfie_1
                                          Participant

I tend to agree PPT, but the question is when will VAR be singing from the same page? I think VAR operators aren’t looking to do that. They don’t even do it within the same game, let alone same weekend or week to week.

Most times a string of ex-refs will line up to say how everything is subjective, and therefore all the decisions are correct, but the same incident week to week ends up being officiated differently. If VAR can ensure the same incidents have the same outcome I am all for it. But it won’t as that would be ‘re-reffing the match’ and the officials won’t allow that.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.