Home Community General Football Genuinely Serious Football Related Debate.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Does anybody have one that we haven’t kicked to death yet?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Nike19
      Participant

Checklist so far:

Money’s ruined the game – CHECK
        FFP – CHECK
        The Real Fan Debate – CHECK
        Diving – CHECK
        VAR – CHECK
        Referees not getting enough support – CHECK
        Gerrard and Lampard – CHECK
        Jose’s Bus – CHECK
        Barcelona and Real Madrid stealing everyone’s best players – CHECK

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

I’ve got one.

Away goals

Should we remove them from the game?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Hightown hope

I’ve got another – the safe standing debate has been battered around for a long time, I know, but with the Governments refusal to allow WBA to set up a safe standing area for 3500 people this week, is it time to discuss it again?

For me, I am very much in favour. Like Beni I was at Hillsborough, and so saw at first hand what dangerous terracing and disgracefully inadequate policing can result in. But, as I understand it, this safe standing is exactly that…safe, and the policing and stewarding at games is by and large significantly better than it was in 1989. It works well in Germany and at Celtic Park, hopefully it would lead to better in ground atmospheres, and also cheaper prices, enabling more youngsters to go to watch football. It’s a no-brainer for me, but maybe someone disagrees?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Hightown hope

As for the away goal, no, keep it! It seems to me to be a change for changes sake. I can’t see any gains from abolishing it, or am I missing something?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

Hightown…I can see where you are coming from but you have also highlighted the real problem On Policing…if fans behaved themselves there would only be a need for a token presence I am not against standing, if done properly but no insurance company is going to risk that or if they do it will push premiums up so high , that will be passed on to fans, as Policing is. You cannot keep blameing Police and Stewards for what should be common sense responsibility of fans, We are going backwards, more Police and Stewards are not the answer but better fan behaviour is. I am not aiming this at any club fan base but the decline in behaviour has to be reversed

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

This sucks, I think we’re all in agreement here on the “Away Goals” & “Safe Standing”.

Leave the goals as they are, I don’t see what benefit there is to removing them to be honest, as somebody said, change for change’s sake…

Safe standing, all good if done properly, hopefully reduce prices and get more “poor” fans in rather than the prawn munchers…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

Sorry, Brian, I don’t understand your point regarding policing. Fan’s behaviour in a safe standing area should not be an issue, as it wasn’t at Hillsborough, where the police let themselves down initially by not channelling the fans in to the side sections. The new proposed safe standing areas would presumably just be in the main home fan area, like the Kop, the Gwladys St End or the Stretford end. You shouldn’t require any more policing or stewarding than there currently is. Everyone on the Kop stands anyway for large parts of games, or all the game in the case of the City game last week, and there was no issue with fan behaviour. It is far more dangerous standing in a seated area than it would be in a safe standing area without question. When we scored our first last week, I disappeared over the back of my seat which could have been dangerous if I was a child.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Nike19
                    Participant

Keep the away goals rule, I love it πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

How about is Jessy Lingard related to singer Jessy J.

When will Sepp Blatter die?

Who has the best weave in football? Conte or Rooney?

Why does Lampard sound so stupid when he’s super intelligent?

Does Gerrard say anything meaningful at all or is it just white noise?

What Championship manager should be given a go with a premiership club?

How many sheep does John Motson kill to make his commentary jacket?

Lets kick some of these to death?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        maverick1973
                        Participant

Why does Lampard sound so stupid when he’s super intelligent?No such thing as an intelligent footballer,let alone super-intelligent!
                          If it sounds like a duck…….

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

If it sounds like a duck…. bit rich coming from a goose…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            maverick1973
                            Participant

@ least we know what we are talking about!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

WE will have to respectfully disaree on this Hightown. In my view, the game is going downhill
                                1. Players behaviour on the pitch, ametuer theatrics etc for the money they are paid
                                2.The control of the game by TV
                                3 Fan behaviour

I think just three teams have set out to entertain, City, Liverpool and Spurs, it has not always worked out but it is still enjoyable watching them try instead of parking bus’s

I just wanted to make a point that somehow the trend needs reversing but I do not know how in this era and maybe juust me being an old fogey wanting the days when I could stand next to a Newcastle, Utd, Liverpool etc fan and have a good chat, Not a policeman or steward in sight. As the song goes “Those were the days” That is why I am so bored with the hype on just about everything in football
                                I am not interested in what Yaya has for breakst, what car Martial drive or what shaving cream Milner etc use….I am sure they are for the extra cash but when is some coming the fans way by lower ticket prices? A totally unfair sport for fans

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Double B makes some valid points and some that I agree with. I don’t feel that old myself, but bloody hell I wish football could go back a decade or two. Now everything seems to have one eye on a balance sheet and the other in “Excuses For Dummies”.

A perfect example would be a certain other website featuring an article claiming YooUtd are planning a 545 million pound double raid for Naymer and Salah…. these absolutely ridiculous articles do get tedious after a while and I feel a little bit stupider after reading them.

And yes, idiot fans in the stands don’t help, pride and passion is one thing, punching seven bells out of each other is just plain retarded.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  maverick1973
                                  Participant

Double B? What size are they?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Brian blue
                                    Participant

Chuky…have to agree with those comments. Football is going mad, I am even considering giving my season card up next season after supporting them 74 yrs..the only thing I cling on to at the moment is City are good to watch and will get better next season but the rest of the stupidity that goes with it I can do without

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      srd79
                                      Participant

Topics for debate:

1) When will the world realize that Pep is an overrated, bald fraud?

2) When will footballers again start to grow mullets? Waddle, VΓΆller, young Fabregas….

3) At which stadium do you get the best beer and sausage?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Hightown hope

Chucky / Brian – I’m an old fuddy duddy as much as any man, But surely you guys cant say that fan behaviour is worse now than it was in the 70’s and 80’s. Agreed that you still get your fair share of idiots at matches, but football is generally far safer to watch now than it was back then. And the idiots at the football now are just a reflection of the idiots in society in general. In my opinion, Anfield, Old Trafford, the Etihad et al are far safer now than they were then, while Deansgate or Bold Street are far more dangerous on a Saturday night now than they were in the 80’s.

The crap about Pogba’s latest haircut or Joey Barton’s latest tweet is crap, I agree, but football just reflects the 24hr news feeds that we now have to fill – most of it is junk – but football behaviour surely is better, off the pitch at least. And probably on the pitch as well, thinking of the Tommy Smiths, Norman Hunters and Ron Harris’ of the ’70’s when they glorified in their images of hard men. One thing that has got progressively worse is play-acting, but it has certainly been about since the early 70’s when I started watching football. Your very own Franny Lee being one of the first that I remember. But football is still a beautiful game at it’s best. Just in the past 25 years or so, the likes of Henry, Okocha, Suarez, Kinkladze, Gascoigne, Silva and now, Salah have done things with a football that still get me out of my seat.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

Double H… Good god no man! πŸ™‚ Just about every other aspect of the game, granted, but I think I can speak for both of us I think we were both certainly referring to just anything but the fans side of things. They were real proper idiots back then, makes today’s idiots almost look amateurish!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.