Home Community General Football FA to sell Wemberly…. WTF?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Really? Could they really be considering this?

Shame on them…

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      maverick1973
      Participant

For ÂŁ800m? I would sell bloody Watford and ……Ilford.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

If you could sell Watford and Ilford for 800mil, I’d worship you more than Silly-Willy-Nilly…

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

I think it’s a great idea.

Get’s rid of the debt they took on, and what does it matter who owns it?

They just need to be careful regarding any binding agreement that requires x number of matches each year to be held there.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Brian blue
            Participant

I just hope some of the money comes back to the Taxpayer who has funded it far too many times

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Have we?

I’m sure we paid for the Olympic stadium and for City’s ground. Note sure we paid for Wembley.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

Brian, wasn’t aware of that. My thoughts have always remained in original foundations of Wembley.

And historically, it experienced more in involvement outside Football.

I’m really at lost with this – why the need to sell?

To me, Wembley is part of an Identity of the Football Association and for that to be sold, then that is effectively your soul down the River. They may as well sell their own blood mate; that’s where we are with Modern Society.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

From today’s Daily Express:

“But critics point out the stadium was only built thanks to ÂŁ161million in taxpayers’ and National Lottery cash.

Some fans fear it could end up being renamed after a US brand such as Budweiser.

Why is Wembley being sold? FA set to strike ÂŁ1bn deal to sell stadium
                    Wembley Stadium: How Fulham owner Shahid Khan’s bid affects Chelsea
                    The new Wembley stadium opened in 2007 as a total cost of ÂŁ757million after the old ground – scene of England’s 1966 World Cup triumph under captain Bobby Moore – was demolished.

It was the second time the Government had spent taxpayers’ money on the site – the first in 1920 when it decided to hold the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley Park.

Funding for the new stadium came from the FA, which secured huge loans for the project, as well as from Lottery-funded Sport England, which paid ÂŁ120million, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport which put up ÂŁ20million, and the London Development Agency, which contributed ÂŁ21million.

There were calls last night for the money to be paid back if the sale goes through. Earlier this year the FA said it would finally finish paying for the stadium by the end of 2024 – 17 years after it opened.”

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Nike19
                    Participant

Not really good in essence. Must be life when it comes to Football, seems to be the world of all doom and gloom, and we’re paying for it, yet this is what we get, in return. Sums up our fate.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.