Home Community Non-Football Driving

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian blue
    Participant

442… the longest drive I have made on a regular basis was Geneva to Manchester to geneva. I worked for an American company based in Geneva. Left home in Geneva at 4.30 am in the morning arrived `manchester same day 23.30… No Auto routes then or UK motorways not finished as we know to day , so mostly A roads I had a Cortina E Classs, which was nippy, built to a Swiss specification but had on going problems with electrics which Ford never solved, loved the car though. I also did Leipzig to Salzburg which was a long drive in a Audi A8 I am not doing those kind of distances anymore

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

Brian… Cheers, Currently doing some mileage and love the road, I developed a fear of flying about 2 years ago. Now I commute between turkey and London along the old crusader land route. I feel totally honoured to see the world driving. And the routes to and through Salzburg are simply incredible. Love driving the alps, and out into Slovenia. now that’s a seriously beautiful country. Most of the Balkans are… I just think my irrational fear has enabled me to see some of the earths stunning scenes. Amazing what a change of pace can do.

I do it in a Freelander 2 and I squeeze about 630 miles a tank out of it.

Anyone else have any particular routes they absolutely F-ing love driving? School shopping runs dont count… unless thats your thing.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

442 – 2 routes spring to mind for me. A couple of years ago, the wife and I drove a large part of the Atlantic Way down the west coast of Ireland. Oh my God, it was a beautiful part of the world. From Malin Head at the most northern part of the island of Ireland down to the cliffs of Moher in County Clare, so through Donegal, Mayo and Galway was just simply stunning, and certainly north of Galway pretty unspoilt by tourism. Can well recommend it! The other is the road from Whistler to Jasper and then down to Banff in the Canadian Rockies. Round every corner there is another spectacular waterfall, snow capped mountain or glacier. Just beautiful.

Anyway got to go and drive the beautiful East Lancs A580 through Salford in to Manchester now!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

Hightown, sounds lovely… Enjoy the road… Anyone done the route around the top of Scotland? Any recommendations if so?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            D1rtyH4rry
            Participant

The wife and I honeymooned in Italy last year. Florence to Siena is beautiful. Tuscany is littered with view spots and medieval architecture. I remember going over the Millau Viaduct in the south of france as a teenager and being wowed by it.
              I also took a train from Vienna to Innsbruck with a stop over in Salzburg, and I can confirm it is stunning. I am a big fan of alpine scenery though. I blame the well constructed sets in the sound of music.
              Anyone remember the top gear episode a few years back trying to find the worlds best road. I think they settled on somewhere in Romania.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Yeah Dirty Harry… this one wasnt it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLlPISzK-M

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                D1rtyH4rry
                Participant

442 – That’s the one. Maybe we should organise some form of unofficial gumball rally with forum users.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

The coast route from Napoli to Amalfi is a hell of a ride spectacular but not for the faint hearted.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    D1rtyH4rry
                    Participant

9 – Yeah a racing game I used to play had the amalfi coast as a track and it was amazing. I not good with heights though, so would you say to avoid in real life and stick to my virtual rendition?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Harry, probably a good choice buddie hearts in mouth time and that’s without adding in the Italian drivers.?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

Hightown….I use the A580 to go to Bents, also many, many years ago I entered 25 mile cycle races along the road, 1949/50 period…ealy starts

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Brian blue
                          Participant

Nothing better than a good drive in a nice car

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Hightown hope

Brian…Bents is just down the road, 3 or 4 miles from me. Wouldn’t fancy cycling on the Lancs now!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

Hightown…they do a nice lunch. No, I would not like to race down it now on a bike but it was a popular event for North West Cyclist. I think the record was just under the hour, something like 59.30…I was always a cup of tea and a sandwich behind that!!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Anonymous

Brain, how long is a cup of tea and sandwich in minutes, seconds or hours? 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

Anyone ever had a bike and side car? the old romantic in me wants to drive across europe with a dog riding passenger with his tongue out.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Brian blue
                                    Participant

442…a cup of tea and sandwich was 12 minutes!!!!! I had a Matchless twin 500cc with Watsonian sidecar when first married, could not afford car. I loved it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

I can’t believe you’re 86 Brian you have such a positive and youthful outlook and are up to date on everything. I just hope I can get to 86 and be as good as you are. Cheers 9’s

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

Mr Blue, a very sexy machine. Just googled it. Would love one of those now. Not may bikes with sidecars going on ebay, ones that are are a bit pricey

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

Not quiet 86 yet Nine but July coming up fast and I have a lot to do in life yet. I am having a go at composing music at the moment on my keyboards since I cannot get on a bycle or ride a motorbike again. I would be OK at driving but the weight of the machines would get me down…at least the ones I like

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.