Home Community General Football Balon d’Or

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CM
    Participant

How has Messi won another Balon d’Or.

Haaland, De Bruyne, Rodri deserve the accolade ahead of him. The game is rigged.

He won the World Cup, yet had a average league campaign and is now playing in the MLS, he is a worthy winner.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      CM
      Participant

Well this award is meaningless now. Messi should not be anywhere near winning the award. He has been waning over the years.

Have people got a issue with players from the PL winning this award. Haaland, De Bruyne, Van Dijk and Salah should have won this accolade based on what they have achieved over the years. Some how they get overlooked.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        FoxyFoxes
        Participant

It always has been the Eurovision of the football world. A popularity contest marred in politics and backhanders.
          I mean, if Haaland doesn’t win it, then Mbappe has got to be next in line, as much as I can’t stand the arrogant prick

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

What would Mbappe win it for, though? Winning the French League with PSG is hardly a big achievement. He’d be in with a shout if France win something again or they win the CL but he shouldn’t be anywhere near it if all he’s won in a season is the French League.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            FoxyFoxes
            Participant

Golden boot winner, with a tally only surpassed 5 times in WC history, a tally not surpassed in the last 50 years, only equalled by Ronaldo Nazario
              hat trick in the final, only done once before.
              41 club goals last season
              3rd in CL golden boot standings

You listed team achievements, this is a personal award.

Edit: in fact, the Balon D’Or is for achievements in the calendar year, in which case he scored more goals than Haaland in the year.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by FoxyFoxes.
              • This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by FoxyFoxes.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              threeps
              Participant

Doing it in a farmers league like the French one means nothing. If Muani put the ball away in the last few seconds in the final and France won then Mbappe would probably get the award for the hattrick alone. If it went on actual year long performances then one of the City players should have won, probably Haaland.

Martinez getting the keepers award purely on the world cup. He’s not even in the top 5 keepers in the PL!

Also think whatever Messi does comes weighted with some journalists. He could walk on the pitch, take a dump in the centre circle and walk off and I’m sure some would still give him man of the match!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                CM
                Participant

Messi has been gifted 4 Balon d’Or, when others had a bigger impact on their sides.

Sneijder 2010(Inter won the treble)

Van Dijk 2019(best PL CB, big impact on Liverpool success and helped them win the CL)

Lewandowski 2021(helped Bayern win thetreble)

Haaland/ De Bruyne(either deserved it)

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Editor
                  Keymaster

Yeah completely agree Threeps.

If he does something big on the International stage again, by all means, he should be up for the award but it’d be a travesty if his achievements in the French league alone saw him win the Ballon D’or. I’m not sure you can ever really separate personal achievements from team achievements.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

It should ultimately go to the player who best influenced his team. To be fair, Messi did have a very significant influence on that Argentina team that won the WC and I suspect that was what got him the gong. Was that unfair when someone like KDB was influencing City week in week out over a season to win the treble? Maybe. But then City were a team with quite a few superstars. Argentina less so. So I can see both sides.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

I’ve always held regard for the Football Writers Award in our English League and the award on the World Stage.

Never took to this Balon and must have mentioned this decades ago on other platforms. You just know the usual suspects and to my mind it’s been preempted.

Perhaps it should just be taken with a pinch of salt. Does it really matter to me?

No.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.