Home Community General Football The best ever

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    threeps
    Participant

Been mentioned a few times in the press that if Liverpool keep up their relentless winning streak they will be the best ever Premier League team.

But will they?

For me even if they break the points record or go unbeaten I think there’s a couple of teams that would be better.

Here are the contenders:

Man United 98-99
      Schmeichel
      G.Neville Johnsen Stam Irwin
      Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs
      Yorke Cole

Arsenal 03-04
      Lehmann
      Lauren Campbell Toure Cole
      Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires
      Bergkamp Henry

Chelsea 04-05
      Cech
      Ferreira Terry Carvalho Gallas
      Duff Lampard Makelele Robben
      Drogba Gudjohnsen

Man United 07-08
      van der Sar
      Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra
      Hargreaves Carrick Giggs
      Ronaldo Tevez Rooney

Man City 17-18
      Ederson
      Walker Kompany Otamendi Delph
      Fernandinho
      D.Silva De Bruyne
      Sterling Aguero Sane

Liverpool 19-20
      Allison
      Alexander-Arnold van Dijk Matip Robertson
      Fabinho
      Henderson Wijnaldum
      Salah Firmino Mane

Undeniably all great teams, but who do you guys think is the best and why?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

United because they won an unprecedented and never been achieved since treble.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

I loved watching T.Henry play,and Arse deserved to win the CL,but winning the CL & the PL in the same season its something special.I know we won the treble that year,and it went down the wire,both the PL and the CL,which was won in the last 90 secs.So,lets wait and see what Liverpool do this season still.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          srd79
          Participant

United because of the treble. Three big trophies in the same season beats going undefeated in the league or setting a point record.

All great teams though.

If Liverpool add the FA Cup and the CL to the PL they’ll win this season, they’ll be the best ever because they’ve pretty much strolled the league.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by srd79.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            sean the sailor
            Participant

Liverpool still have to win the league though and shouldn’t even be mentioned beside those teams until they do

No offence threeps mate. I’m just cautious. Hate anything like this when nothing’s won

Our records count for nothing at minute

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Excluding Liverpool for a moment, I would have said City but looking at their team compared to 99 Utd… I think I’ve got to say Utd. This kinda flies in the face of my previously held opinion but that team just looks better. Winning the CL and the PL at the same time and what was the other, the FA Cup? The big 2 are 95% of that season really but to have the squad to manage to win the FA Cup without it costing you is worth mentioning.

Now, to speak about Liverpool. I think we’re the only team to ever have an undefeated Calendar year? I heard it but don’t know if it’s true. It’s definitely worth something, however, we’re talking about single seasons here, so it’s value is maybe not worth too much. However, I would put up the fact that over the last year and a bit, we’ve appeared in more CL finals than we’ve lost PL matches, for consideration when rating this side.

The thing is though, we’re only half way through this season. We almost certainly will not go through it undefeated. We might not get past Atletico in the CL, never-mind win it again. We might not win the PL, or the FA Cup. We are talked about as being on course for 110 points and that’s all well and good with half the season left…

Now, if we do somehow make the CL final for the 3rd time in a row, taking it and the PL with a new record points tally, then regardless of the FA Cup, I’d say that this Liverpool side would then be the best in history but… I’m not harbouring this dream scenario, it won’t happen. I just want the PL, which is very realistic. Record points, invinvibles and another CL win are bonus round things this season.

So, my answer is the 99 Utd.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Pagan
                Participant

Forest went 12 months unbeaten, 42 league games without a loss in 77 78….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  threeps
                  Participant

Sean I agree with you but all the talk in the media as I said is Liverpool are on their way to greatness, hence why they are included. I wanted to gauge what you lot think of this media talk and put it in context of the great teams we’ve seen. I’m not staying Liverpool are, will be or whatever, just starting a discussion.

My opinion is the 99 utd team is probably the best but not for what they won as sometimes that can be influenced by luck, quality of opponent or whatever. I just think there’s no weakness in that team at all and are very well balanced.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Was it a Calendar year Pagan? I mean, it doesn’t matter, 42 games is 42 games but maybe this was the grounds for exclusion. Cheers regardless for that bit of info.

3ps, the media do love to whip up enthusiasm, almost as much as they love to tear things down. It’s fine to have us in there hypothetically though.

As for that Utd team, it does look better than city’s alright. it doesn’t help that otamendi is considered to be absolutely rubbish now and Delph… well that was a weird one. He’s had a bit of a strange career to be included in a “greatest ever” team discussion.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      sean the sailor
                      Participant

I really don’t mean to sound so negative threeps but I ignore everything the media says. I ignore all talk of records etc mate as nothing matters but winning the league

I don’t think this team can compares to anyone until we actually see what they achieve. I understand why you posted the topic.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

Thing is, whilst Man Utd raised the bar in terms of professionalism and hard work after the more laid back culture of the 1980s, I think the bar has risen again in terms of the energy levels players today now have, particularly with regards to Liverpool and City.

The relentlessness both sides have shown is unparalleled, which is why both are now breaking points records.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          threeps
                          Participant

It’s fine mate, my thinking is pretty much the same as yours. But still, not bad teams eh?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Pagan
                            Participant

Mak, I think it ran from November 77 to December 78, not overly sure, but the local Forest fans bring it up on a regular basis….Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

The thing about Utd 99 was that the domestic comps werent that full of major opposition,like it is today.There were only Arsenal and I remember Utd being extremely lucky,especially in the FA Cup @ the time.The 2008 situation was completely different,and winning the PL and the CL,beating a very good Chelsea team in the final after ET and pens was an achievement & a half.But if Liberoools win the PL this season going unbeaten,and wins the CL playing the type of football they are playing right now,then that will change things.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Pagan
                                Participant

I think we also have to recognise Man City’s unique domestic treble, it’s not as if they could rest players in the league games as Liverpool pushed them so hard…Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Chelsea1967
                                  Participant

as we approach the quarter finals and the semi finals of the Champions League assuming Liverpool are still involved, there is a very good chance (with an unassailable lead in the title race) that Klopp could rest key players for the domestic matches and that may be their downfall in achieving an undefeated season.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

City is undoubtably the best footballing English club team of all time and I don’t even support them.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

Grealish is a big talent but obviously the better the team u play for the more he will flourish, Maddison is OK but not really special

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        maverick1973
                                        Participant

City is undoubtably the best footballing English club team of all time and I don’t even support them.When they win the treble of:CL,PL and FA Cup in one season,then maybe we can talk,sunshine.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by maverick1973.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Nike19
                                          Participant

Man United’s Treble Winning Team, and the Team that Won the League 3 Times in a row.

No other team in history has accomplished that.

Man City come a close second.

I was a Big Fan of Chelsea 2005 and 2006.

And Arsenal Invincibles were something Special.

Above all, all mentionable and Merited.

From an LFC POV, has to be this current team under Klopp – would obviously love us to win The Premier League Title, and thereafter, Domestic Trophies.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.