Home Community General Football Goalkeepers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brian blue
    Participant

Goalkeepers to day are well protected by the Laws. Going back to when they were not protected there were a few very brave players, To says keepers are more active but would have never survived the older game. To have very aggressive big burly strikers running at you ready to knock you over with the ball I suppose counted for some entertainment. A few keepers could give as good as they got plus a bonus I have seen some real challenges that would make to days players wince , in between, there was some good football on pitches you would not let your kids play on now, City have had a good history of keepers although we did go through a spell when Swift retired, City signed a young keeper from Huddersfield Town called Alex Thurlow, I watched his first few games and was impressed, he was small for a keeper though I thought but tragically he died from some illness we then went through a series of keepers until Truatmann arrived, followed by Big Joe Corrigan and onwards I was sad Hart did not stay with City. Ederson has all the makings to be a great, time will tell Of other keepers I admired from the early period of my football spectator view was Sam Bertram Charlton Ted Sagar Everton Vic Woodley Chelsea Ron Springett Sheffield Wed a few others I remember the names but alas not the clubs It is all about statistics to day, how many saves etc etc days gone it was about bravery and skill. One other thing I recall there were fewer penalties given but when they did happen a player seldom missed and it was never placing a ball but one thunderous drive, the keeper could not move a muscle then as well Just thinking back a little to how the game was

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      sean the sailor
      Participant

Ederson is a fine keeper Brian. I remember when Brazil couldn’t produce a top keeper for decades. Cesar off inter was very good but ederson and Alison are a step up. Both are excellent with the ball at their feet and play like an outfield player at times

One of the best English keepers around for me is Ben foster off Watford. Very under rated. I don’t rate Pickford. If he’s England’s best that your in serius yeiubke

Keepers are soft. Refs are far to protective. I remember joe corrigan. Beast of a man. You look at some of the keepers in the 70s and 80s. Shilton and Clemence were top class. Seaman aswell got better as the years went on.

All the best keepers in the pl are foreign now in my opinion. De gea is still a brilliant keeper

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

Completely agree keepers these days are treated like an endangered species. And those stupid Hollywood saves really get me going, flopping about like Superman when it wasn’t that “big” a save.

Also agree about Foster too, very underrated.

Going slightly of topic (but Double-B did mention it! 🙂 ) but another thing that really gooses my goat is stupid run-ups for peno’s. Even Sonny was doing it last week. Utterly ridiculous. Showboating at it’s worst.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Brian blue
          Participant

Agree with you both about Foster, he has been a good keeper for a long time now.
            Pickford I never rated, good at times but not enough to be a top class keeper
            Yes Allison and Emerson are a new breed and they are playing well but they need another few seasons in them to be great Chuky, you are right, reminds me of the Arsenal cock up against City a few seasons ago….too clever for there own good, they will miss eventually I guess I was drawing more on my memory bank when keepers were not protected, they have a big advantage over outfield players but they rely on the “foul” more now but I do believe some of them are brave but we will not see the likes of the oldies again I could tell you a good story about one of your own great players, Willie Hall and his encounter with Frank Swift in a memorable game we always have with Spurs. Few games are more attractive to watch than City and Spurs, whatever the result always a good match, can never remember a goalless one

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

Double B… pretty much my first “solid” memory of game of footy was the 81 Cup Final (and replay!), never a dull match between our boys. Sometimes it was because we were both rubbish, like to think these days it’s because we’re both a lot better than we have been in the past… 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              steveosnakeeye
              Participant

you would like ot think that 😉

to be fair you are , still crap but better than before 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                maverick1973
                Participant

Talking of pens % the boasting player/s taking em,how doesnt Jorginho never get injuries/ed I never know.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

Best penalty taker..Francis Lee….just blast them

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    sean the sailor
                    Participant

Best peno taker

Matt le tisser
                      Ricky lambert

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Mikus LFC
                      Participant

Jimmy Milner!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

I don’t have too much of a problem with regards to protection for keepers. They do need some in my opinion. When it comes to coming togethers, an outfield player is going to go in whilst protecting himself, where-as a keeper is going to be vulnerable as a result of the shape they need to keep in order to do their job. They are definitely more vulnerable to serious injury because of this.

The other thing I would say they need or at least deserve extra care is when they are catching the ball. If a player barges in on top of them and knocks one of their arms, it causes them to fail to catch the ball. My example of this is actually a Liverpool goal that was disallowed. I think it was Van Dijk against De Gea. The goal was ruled out and although most think it should have stood, I think it was the correct call to disallow it. In my opinion, Van Dijk fouls De Gea.

Now, that’s as far as I go though. There are so many calls over the years that I think the ref has been way over-protective of the keepers.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

Problem for me Mak is that in that particular case, if we are to protect keepers, then Van Dijk shouldn’t have even bothered trying to go for the ball. The ball was nobody’s at that time and as such should both players not have been able to compete for it? De Gea could have opted to punch the ball in such a situation – but in some ways he was clever – by trying to catch it then lose it he probably knew he would get the foul given against him. Don’t think that’s fair for me. Unless the attacker used their elbows but that would be an immediate foul anyway.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            steveosnakeeye
                            Participant

considering goalkeepers are usually huge and can use their hands as well as jump they get waqy to much protection especially in the air
                              outfiled players have less of an advantage even when jumping for risk of genuine foul with elbow or a hand ball because of the “silhouette”

the pool goal should have stood all day long no foul there at all

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

Well, the keeps arms are kinda like an outfield players legs. It’s what they use to influence the ball. If you knock a leg out from a player in order to get the ball, it’s a free kick. I guess it’s situational though. Sometimes you could have a player who was favourite for a ball regardless of what the keeper is doing and in that situation, I’d say it wasn’t a foul but other times you’re seeing a keeper who is favourite, goes to catch it and if the only reason the ball has come loose is down to the one of both of his arms being knocked, then… then I think it should be a foul.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Mikus LFC
                                Participant

Catching the ball and using your arms/hands is obviously a special privilege the keeper has. But for me I don’t that means they have the *right* to always catch a ball, or why else do some keepers punch the ball? – they punch the ball because they know they can’t catch it cleanly in some situations because of being outmuscled. I think if a keeper has already caught the ball and then has it pushed out their hands by an attacker, then it’s a foul. Otherwise, it should be fair game for me because in some situations (like a corner where there are more attackers) a keeper will often punch – accepting they could be outmuscled by fouls on their arms, and in other situations they choose not to punch because they think they’ll get the foul because being outmuscled *looks* more explicit. So there’s an inconsistency there for me, which ever side of the fence you sit on.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

I don’t actually disagree with what you’re saying. I’m not as far away from that as it may sound. I said it’s situational and I guess what I’m saying is that if the keeper is definitely going to catch the ball and some guy barges him out of it then it’s a soul.

Keepers definitely do need to be put in a situation where they use their brains and punch instead of try to catch, knowing that the ref will get them out of trouble anyway. We are in agreement with this aspect of it.

I guess I’ve got to rewatch the Van Dijk one but I thought it was a foul at the time.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

Ok I’ve watched it again and I guess we can agree to disagree once more Mikus but I do think it’s a foul. He’s bumped him too hard and that would be a free if it were 2 lads jumping for a header in midfield.

Here are the highlights : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bAIbH3jcw

I tell you what though, Firmino’s finish after it was sublime. It’s a shame it was chalked off after that.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Mikus LFC
                                      Participant

This is a problem Mak – at what point does outmuscling an opponent become a foul? Should outmuscling be deemed as a foul if there is a genuine attempt to win the ball?

Van Dijk obviously had to make up ground, so you have one person with momentum and De Gea was pretty much stationary which is always going to look worse. If both keeper and attacker were running together for the ball it wouldn’t have looked as bad. And imagine if that was a corner with several more bodies around De Gea – would a foul still have been given? Not convinced it would have been. Either way, such an inconsistency needs reviewing in the laws of the game as things stand.

In the case of 2 midfielders jumping for a header in midfield, unless one deliberately doesn’t go for that ball, and just clatters in to the other player, then it’s not a foul for me. But obviously we see fouls given in such situations. I think referees like everyone, get spooked by the *consequences* of the coming together as opposed to the actual coming together in the first place.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        steveosnakeeye
                                        Participant

no foul for me the games gone way to woosey and this is a prime example, if he cant challenge in that siuation theres no point toi the game! no one aloud near the keeper, or in the box 😉

i get protection when its on the ground in the case of getting a good kicking or slid into with studs or something awful like Cech but really they are bi bastards that dont do much so should be able to mix it a wee bit without it being a foul, they still have all the advantages

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Mikus LFC
                                          Participant

Steveo, the Cech one is a bit deeper than it looked at the time. One can still criticise Hunt, the attacker in the game but part of the problem also (if you didn’t already know) is that Cech was born one of triplets and as such had a thinner skull over that part of the brain compared to others, which I believe exacerbated the injury he had.

Quite an interesting read…

https://thelab.bleacherreport.com/the-horror-of-petr-cech-s-head-injury/

And it does pose the question – if such a detail about triplets was always known – why wasn’t Cech told to wear protection from day one of his career?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.