Home Community General Football Champions League Final

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    gjblues
    Participant

Well it appears UEFA have dropped another huge bollock – awarding the final to Portugal and not Wembley. With two English teams contesting, where is the sense?
      According to SSN, the reason is that the UK Government will not give special dispensation in respect of quarantine regulations to around 2,000 of UEFAs ‘hangers on’, only to the top few in the organisation.
      So it’s a case of f**k the 8,000 City and Chelsea fans, “you’ll have to pay extra travel costs”.
      Apologies for the language, guys but I’m absolutely seething. I’m still planning to go with my son but it’ll now cost probably an extra £4-500.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by gjblues.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Surrey Blue
      Participant

Nonsensical decision but completely predictable I’m afraid. No wonder UEFA has little credibility with those involved in or followers of football.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

“Hopes of Wembley hosting the match have faded with the Government unable to agree to the quarantine exemptions UEFA was seeking for sponsors, VIPs and broadcasters, with Portugal now in pole position if UEFA receives clarity on entry restrictions and stadium capacity limits at the preferred venue in Porto.

Dominic Rosso, the vice-chair of the Chelsea Supporters’ Trust, met virtually with Ceferin on Wednesday and was told a decision was expected “very soon”.

Rosso wrote on Twitter: “UEFA will ‘take care’ that supporters will be able to attend the final with priority given to CFC and MCFC.”

Rosso continued: “I emphasised that allocation/prices for loyal supporters must be reasonable and fair. UEFA confirmed that they must honour sponsor contracts and added that lots of football supporters (worldwide) will also want to attend and that this must be taken into account. The CST stated that sponsor allocations must be kept to a minimum.” Standard

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

“English fans attending the Champions League final in Porto between Manchester City and Chelsea will have to fly in and out of the country on the day of the match, the Portuguese government said.

They will also need to stay in a ‘bubble’ while in the city.

Uefa announced on Thursday that 6,000 fans from each club will be able to attend the final on 29 May.” BBC Football 13/05

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Brian blue
            Participant

Nine, reading what you have stated…..I hope they have good air traffic controllers on to move 12K people out after the match….does not appear logical to me unless they are moving the k.o time, even at a noon k.o. you would still have to shift all those fans in the space of a few hours., By my reckoning at300 passengers per flight that is 40 aircraft also assuming the airport itself can handle it. Nothing is impossible…sp they say

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Brian, I didn’t state anything my friend my post above was an extract from BBC Football.

It’s a logistical nightmare my friend and not one I would participate in personally even if someone gave me a ticket and paid for my flight herding 12,000 fans into one area not allowing them to move around freely and getting them in and out in a day is my what dreams are made of I just hope we don’t see any trouble.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                sean the sailor
                Participant

It’s a ridiculous decision lads but any real surprise with uefa?

Good news the reds is top quality for the final

Should be a fantastic occasion

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

To be fair Sean it’s not really UEFA’s fault it’s more down to Covid Turkey was on the UK red list for travel, the UK Government couldn’t waive the rules on isolation and the 24 hour rule has come from the Portuguese Government.

Trying to hold major sporting events in Europe with Covid remains very difficult.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    steveosnakeeye
                    Participant

If it was covid related it would be played at Wembley end of! Silly to travel anywhere when not needed

Portugal now changing stance on covid and new strain rampant in northern Uk

And people are still booking holidays and shocked when they lose money and it’s all cancelled 🙄

Mental all round

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      mancunian_mike
                      Participant

Bad decision by UEFA which throws fans under the bus again, and it comes just weeks after fans saved the competition for them. I understand the problems of holding matches anywhere in Europe at present but it’s simple numbers, you either make under 2000 none-essential UEFA VIP’s and corporate attendees undergo testing and quarantine, or you make 12,000 fans fly to and from another country in 1 day during a pandemic. They’ve also set what they themselves have called the ‘biggest game in club football’ in a stadium with 50,000 capacity; if it was held at Wembley we could have 25% capacity under current UK Covid restrictions meaning 22,000 could attend. UEFA looking after the money not the fans…again. Get ready to boo the anthem everyone 😂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        sean the sailor
                        Participant

Ah cool nine mate

But why pick Portugal?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

I think UEFA are contractually obligated to provide sponsors with tickets they could do that at Wembley but they couldn’t get the Government to bend on the 10 day isolation rule.

I think it’s only City fans who boo the Champions League anthem yet they’ll all be estatic whenever they win it. I suspect booing the CL Anthem has more to do with FFP and City being punished for breaking FFP rules and continuing to be under the UEFA microscope than anything else.

“However, their main cause of their anger was UEFA’s decision to fine the club £49 million and limit City’s Champions League squad for breaching Financial Fair Play rules in 2014.” The Metro.

Haven’t both Pep and the Club requested City fans stop booing the anthem?

“They’ve also set what they themselves have called the ‘biggest game in club football’ in a stadium with 50,000 capacity; if it was held at Wembley we could have 25% capacity under current UK Covid restrictions meaning 22,000 could attend. UEFA looking after the money not the fans…again. Get ready to boo the anthem everyone 😂”

Mike surely UEFA would have earned more money from holding the match at Wembley with more fans being able to attend than less in Portugal maybe I’m missing something because that doesn’t seem to hang together?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Sean, “but why pick Portugal?” Good question Sean personally if it couldn’t be Wembley I would have given it to Spain and Atletico Madrids Wanda Metropolitano Stadium with a 68,000 capacity so 25% would have provided a capacity for the game of 17,000.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

Nine…I put that badly…I was not really saying that you stated it, my bad phrasing, should have left it as. you had reported from source. my apologies

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Brian, no worries and absolutely no need for an apology just didn’t want you to think they were my words.😊

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  mancunian_mike
                                  Participant

Hey nine, I was only joking about the booing. Yes Pep had asked we stop booing and I was one that did stop at that point – I won’t get into why we boo but it was due to a number of instances where UEFA made it quite clear we were not wanted in this competition, FFP was just another stick to beat us with.

With regards the ‘money over the fans’ comment I would’ve thought it was pretty self explanatory; UEFA has given 2000 tickets to its sponsors/VIP’s, etc. exactly as you say – these are effectively wealthy people or people in charge of the wealth. The UK government said it would relax quarantine rules for any of the 2000 UEFA attendees who were classed as ‘essential’; this obviously wasn’t good enough for UEFA as they couldn’t possibly expect wealthy VIP’s and corporate ticket holders to have to wait around – better to reduce the amount of actual fans able to attend the game, and to make the few that can attend do a 3000 mile round trip in 24 hours. Does that hang together better for ya 😉

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    nine nine nine

Difficult for UEFA to omit the sponsors Mike those guys contribute massively to the CL prize money the teams pick up and the majority will be important executives within the sponsors and from the perspective of their various roles in their companies it would be tough for them to spend 10 days out of their businesses in isolation after the game and that ruled out Wembley.

It’s not a 3,000 mile round trip to Porto from Manchester though and it’s even less from London and Porto is a lot closer than it would have been had the Final been staged at the original venue of Istanbul and from what I’ve read Wembley was UEFA’s first choice after Istanbul.

Wherever the Final may be it’s just great for us both to be in the Final though don’t you think?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Brian blue
                                      Participant

I am less concerned about the venue, although I do think it goes against logic having two English teams playing. I just hope they have chosen a good Ref who will fair to both teams. City and Chelsea deserve to have the best available for this match.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        mancunian_mike
                                        Participant

Hey nine, yes all moaning aside I want City to win everything we enter and I’m very happy we’ve got to the final, and I’m glad Chelsea got there too, congrats. Hope we get a great game, incident free, and may the best team win 😉

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

Mike…yes I want City to win as much as they can but do not expect it will happen, then , it makes it feel better if we do. I no longer have that feeling we go into a season feeling relegation!!!!! Itis never impossible though…only if you think it!!!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 216 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.