Home Community Non-Football Brexit – Leaving the EU

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Some Breaking News in of an agreement to continue talks in a big to Strike A Deal in light of Today’s Deadline that could potentially have flowed to a No Deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55292890

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

Get out and get on with it.!!!! The EU mandarins do not want a deal but they want us to crawl back and ask for forgiveness, they will then charge us huge amounts for re entry and have us pay cost of all discussions over last year. After a tough start we will be OK, believe it
        Once the politicians are out of the way, business will find a way of sorting it out despite any tariffs. Germany exports75 Billion a year to us and we are the largest taker in the world for the German car industry….they are not going to want to loose that

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

Very easy Brian to just say get on with it. Just like it was easy to get a deal, that looks unlikely. your right business will work it out and pass the cost onto you with your gilded pension.

I dont have one of those to fall back on… Partly because Labour raided the pension pot to pay for the NHS that has spent the last 12 months looking after the clinically obese, alcoholic boomers who refuse to die off.

Never mind the 400 thousands individual laws and pieces of legislation that need to be addressed. Or .. Or… No. Its a waste of my time to engage with a Karen…

I love how you boomers pull up the draw bridge while saying im alright Jack…. Cant wait for the transfer of wealth after you lot are gone.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

442, pointless discussing the rights and wrongs of leaving the EU for good or bad the dye is cast now and whatever ones political views might be Brian is one of the really good guys.

We’ll all just have to get on with it now whatever the final outcome might be and make the best of it.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

To be fair, it would be tough in the short-term. Timing doesn’t do us any favours based on the Pandemic.

Having an extension is good, but sooner or later, we need to face the situation and get on with leaving.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              nine nine nine

Nil, we’re going to leave the only question is whether we leave with or without an agreed trade deal.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Brian blue
                Participant

442…I do not have a “gilded” pension whatever they are. As to wealth, the nearest I get is when I get £25 from Isa on rare occasions but when I was working I did save for MY retirement. I gave up many things to do that

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

442…I do not plan on leaving any time soon, going for my jab this week which I hope extends my life, so you will have to put up with us “boomers” a little longer. By the way…what is a “boomer”??

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    threeps
                    Participant

“Boomer is an informal term for baby boomer, a person born during the baby boom (sharp increase in birthrates) after World War II. This generation generally includes anyone born in the US between 1946–65, a time of great economic prosperity.” 😀

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/ok-boomer/#:~:text=Boomer%20is%20an%20informal%20term,time%20of%20great%20economic%20prosperity.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

Brian, the EU are under absolutely no obligation to make things nice and rosey for a nation that’s hell-bent on financially sabotaging themselves and the EU, whilst undermining the fundamental principles of the union. The UK might want the best of both worlds, to reap the rewards of the European market but to not have to contribute to it and that just won’t fly, especially when the UK hasn’t got any leverage. The Eu represents a lot higher a percentage of the UK’s trade than vice versa, whilst still being a big loss for the EU though, of course.

That said, I think the EU don’t want to just leave you lads in the dirt either. The pride element that you touch on though has absolutely nothing to do with it. I doubt anyone wants the Uk to “come crawling back”, as you are suggesting… but maybe there are some who have for years now been holding their heads thinking “WTF?” and I would be one of them.

What’s done is done though but this Boris chap is going to hurt ye pretty bad but that’s another conversation and I have to go. I’ll leave you with this though, don’t take what 442 has said to heart. There’s a lot of misplaced anger there.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Mak, actually the UK imports more from the EU than they export to the UK.

The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2019, UK exports to the EU were £294 billion (43% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £374 billion (52% of all UK imports). The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has generally fallen over time from 54% in 2002 to 43% in 2019.10 Nov 2020
                          commonslibrary.parliament.uk › cb…
                          Statistics on UK-EU trade – House of Commons Library

The decision to leave the EU was taken by the people of the UK not Boris Johnson and he has to respect that vote which was taken prior to him being PM.

What is being discussed now is a Free Trade Agreement if it can’t be agreed it will effect both parties based on the figures above seemingly the EU more than the UK presumably that’s why the German Car Manufacturers have been trying to put pressure on Angela Merkel to agree a deal.

Hopefully both parties come to an amicable agreement by December 31st.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

“Mak, actually the UK imports more from the EU than they export to the UK.”

I never said otherwise but as a percentage of their trade, the EU is far more important to the UK than the other way around.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Mak, irrelevant of share of exports I don’t think the EU can afford to lose £374 billion of exports equally the UK don’t want to lose £294 billion of exports to the EU. That’s a difference of nearly £80 billion in favour of the UK.

“Economists have warned that should Germany lose its access to British markets, more than 100,000 jobs could be lost.”

Their are consequences to both parties which is why it makes sense for both parties to come to a sensible agreement which I think is still possible by December 31st.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

But it’s the ratio of total trade that is important Nine.

I agree that this is still important for the EU but it is devastating for the UK. I don’t know what the total trade figures are for each entity but ya…

It is in both parties best interests of course but the EU is holding all the cards.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Anonymous

Take into consideration that the Uk maybe had a (forgive this) Trump card, in that they could have made a deal with the US but with Biden coming in, he’s promised that there will be no deal if the Good Friday Agreement is infringed upon… and this is exactly what Boris is going to do.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  threeps
                                  Participant

As an expat living in Germany I get asked all the time about Brexit. “What were you guys thinking?!”, I can only shrug and apologise. Then they laugh. A lot. My country that I am proud that I was born in and served is now the laughing stock of Europe. Only the US and Trump gets more comedy coverage! I now tell people that I am Irish-British and trying to be more on the Irish side of it, if only I could nail the accent! (thank you Good Friday agreement!)

Although I voted to remain I am one of the few that will actually come out better off. I often send money from my DE bank to my UK one and when I first arrived it was 1.4EUR to the Pound. Now it’s around 1.1 and I get that lovely feeling of knowing just how far my Euro goes. I hate to think what you guys think when you go on your holibobs to Costa del Sol or wherever!

Anyway to get back to the theme of the thread, yes there will be job losses in Germany and the rest of Europe if no deal is agreed, yes it’s probably best if they could agree something but the general feeling is that no one really that much cares about the UK, you’re just not that important anymore, and that the rest of Europe will be ok without you.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Anonymous

Good post. I will add one thing though, that for the Irish we have that comedy value but there is a hint of annoyance too, well more than a hint because Brexit (which we had no vote in) will greatly impact our economy and will almost certainly re-ignite the troubles in the north.

The EU set up a fund to help nations who would suffer from Brexit but France gobbled up the majority of it. THIS is something that is really infuriating because just as I said about the UK/EU ratio, the Irish/French situation is similar. A massive amount of our trade passes through the UK, so we’ve got to plan around it, which will increase the cost of everything for us and France have come in and gobbled up the majority of a fund that should largely have been setup for us, pretty much solo.

So while it can be funny, it does a lot of harm too and not just to the nation that willfully did this.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

So while I am pro-EU, I feel they’ve let us down here and I hope they make it right, once we see the actual damage that brexit does.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        nine nine nine

Mak, I’m a Remainer and I didn’t want the UK to leave the the EU but I respect democracy and that was the will of the people.

It will bad for both parties if we can’t agree a FTA it will be particularly bad for the German Motor Industry which is why they are pushing Merkel so hard.

The UK has faced much bigger problems in our history there’s a reason we are Great Britain and we’ll come through with or without the USA!😊

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

Nine,,you have it right…there is nothing to fear, this country needs to get working hard all together and we will come out of it. I also, have lived inEurope for many years and yes they do laugh at us but they know they will have to make changes they do not want. Europe is no special place anymore

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 89 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.