Home Community Non-Football Would it one day just come crashing down ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Started a debate at work about this, so thought I’d bring this over to here.

We take WWW so much for granted and just wondered what life would be like without it?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Brian blue
        Participant

Life would be better!!!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

You havent really brought anything to the discussion though. You’ve barely even clarified in asking if you think that the web will all somehow come crashing down.

If that is your question then the answer is very simple and it’s no. Also, no life wouldn’t be better off without it. Why have you started a thread about it, mentioned a debate in work and not told us a single point that was made on either side?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

You channelled your energy in pulling me up on something I chose to share and what it a clear question?

FYI, we’ve yet to have so far as many responses from work lot but a couple did answer and were more supportive of the internet.

These people are young people and haven’t been around the block like myself and therefore have not had the life experience from being in the world pre-internet.

My point of view is that we are now more than ever centering our lives around a ‘smartphone’. I see people walking down the street and more engaged in their phones. Some don’t even have either the capacity or the ability to be able to make eye-contact with confidence to another human being and strike up a conversation.

In my view, we have been swept far too deep into the digital world. I recognize in relation to a lot of day-to-day tasks and challenges, the Web is important to them, not to mention the world of work and the implications on our economy.

I’m in an industry where over the last 2 years, there’s been adjustments to be more digital and I work where I face people everyday that are our customers. It’s all now more about quick service and we rely on our digital mediums to support our business.

I just feel at times I’m more and more swept into a rat-race. I do feel for those in the example of having to work for Amazon and the working conditions of staff members there that work round the clock just so Johnny out there can receive his order on time.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

I didn’t channel up any energy, I’m not a wizard. I only made what I think was a decent point. It wasn’t a personal attack.

Glad you’ve revisited it with some information and an opinion anyway. ya, there are ups and downs to everything, even something as wonderful as the Internet/Technology in general. One thing about the internet and the problems that we encounter as we further immerse ourselves in it, we show ourselves up. By this I mean that you can attribute most of the problems with it down to people and not the phones in their hands.

We’re not nearly as civilised or smart as we’d like to think we are and we’re coming along at a much slower rate than tech is advancing. That said, I’m all for it and look forward to the day when VR/AR is as much a part of every day life as phones are today.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

I completely agree on the point of people rather than the devices themselves and the way we immerse ourselves.

One kid I did have a conversation with clearly done his research and pointed out to me walkmans, mp3 players. Sure that was around, but against a Smartphone, it’s a different kettle of fish and those in the 80s and 90s were largely used for recreational purposes. Not many people had Pagers and Mobile Phones themselves when they were first out.

I’m looking at attitudes, plus Social Media. It’s everywhere, like Big Brother.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

I suppose the point I was trying to drive at was in the direction of companies and retailers having to make significant changes to remain existent never mind keep afloat.
                    Some New Look stores forced to close down, Toys R Us sadly going, and it’s rumoured, NEXT too could be under threat with the drop in their profits.
                    Some of those occupying the high-street are really feeling it more than ever and it’s people’s livelihoods that I care about.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.