Home Community General Football Too much football

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Adlab
    Participant

Kane, Rashford and many others. There are too many games close together including internationals with too many KEY players suffering injuries.
      It is time I believe to do something. For example:
      You dont play in the League cup if you are in Europe
      Premier League teams in Europe enter the FA cup in the 4th round
      There has to be at least 4 days between matches.

There are some solutions which might help. This year we have suffered badly through long term and short term injuries as have most others.

The best example I can give is when Leicester won the league. No Europe and virtually injury free the whole season. Of course thats not the only reason why they won the league but it didnt half help.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

Totally agree with this, but the problem will be all teams are quite happy to get the “cash” for all these games… killing the golden goose and all that…

Of course, the other issue, and again it’s the same for all teams, nobody is actually forcing clubs to play the best players in every game.

Kinda making this up as a I go along so I haven’t really thought this through properly, but how about a rule simply limiting the number of games a player can play during the season? Limit a player to, I dunno, 45 club games (including cups etc..)… that would force the clubs to rotate a bit more, level the playing field a bit or something like that.

Like I said, making this up as I go along… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        threeps
        Participant

This is something that our top managers like Pep and Klopp have been saying for a while. And it’s not just that too many games means tired players, it gives managers less time in between matches to work with his players and prepare them for the next game.

I have thought for a while that banning teams in European competition from the League Cup would be a good idea. Others things might help like no FA Cup replays and single leg League Cup semis.

Also International football needs to be looked at. There are so many games that are pretty meaningless, friendlies, games against the whipping boys etc (this could be contentious if they are banned I admit).

Get rid of football in the Olympics for a start. Should never of been there. And align the Continental tournaments, like having the AFCON every 4 years.

Sadly football is all about money now and more games equals more money generated. I don’t think the people in charge care that the quality will diminish as a result.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

Difficult to disagree with but if you take the European competing teams out of the League Cup it will fade away as it won’t be worth winning. Teams play scratch sides in the Cup competitions anyway up until the latter stages and it’s the Cup competitions that give the squad players and young players an opportunity to play.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            steveosnakeeye
            Participant

dont think its got suddenly worse, more teams have bigger and better squads, its the moeny side of things that makes them play, i think the re think needs to be done at club level

thos some cosmetic changes would also help

whats the point of the big squads and youth players if you dont play them except in emergency? you can see why for say pool in the PL this year but then not other comps….

like for me, i have no idea why we dont have a youth prosect leftback to play as cover instead of using a leftwinger and very attacking player….

if you were a kid at any club THATS the point you would hope for the nod and call up, like roy oif the rovers

teams mentalitys need to change in respect of squads and comps and then some rule changes to help…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              steveosnakeeye
              Participant

this makes the point rather well! borrowed form TT main page….

“I see Watford’s postponed cup replay has been scheduled for next Thursday, leaving them to play Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday.”

helpful for any team let alone one fighting relegation

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

3ps… bit unfair to make the AFCON in their summer like the Euros… you know how hot it gets? (Sure you do, just typing it anyway! πŸ™‚ )

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  steveosnakeeye
                  Participant

i think he wants it moved every 4 years and inline with the ero/WC…not every 2 years….tho playing the comp in our season is a pain, if African teams want to improve and have better players for the WC, they should think about this maybe

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Buffy, it’s a no brainer to me. Didn’t they try it once in the “summer” and it turned out to be the worst tourny on record cause no bugger wanted to run around in 40C weather? Think WC in Qatar…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      steveosnakeeye
                      Participant

i totally get that part, but isnt Africa rather large? arent there warmer and cooler parts perhaps?
                        and why play evey 2 years instead of 4?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

Would imagine the southern end would be coolest in summer, but you can’t give it to South Africa every year, can you? Although I do get the 4 years instead of 2 angle…

To be honest, it’s been going on for years, really don’t understand why it’s such a “surprise” to clubs.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          steveosnakeeye
                          Participant

its not a surprisae, its just awkward, same as FA ccup replays and the dozens of pointless “internationals” and other cups (and WCC)

it is a bit much really but then like i said squads are big enough to cope, maybe adlabs idea of players playing a certain number of games in all comps would help and force managers to think and use the right layers for the right thing, that said tho we had plenty fo teams win trebles and doubles and what not and that would be less likley to happen in the future if any changes were made….and then you lose something special

it can be done but when it causes issues teams complain, bet pepe didnt complain when he won the doemstic treble

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Adlab
                            Participant

Interesting comments.
                              Years ago, during the Mercer/Alison period at City, I knew people there and at Utd pretty well.
                              My daughter used to trampoline at national level. I used to run (half marathons etc) and spent time talking to county and national coaches.
                              They all had one comment in common. It didnt matter how fit you were REST was vital or there will be muscle fatigue. It was always difficult to stop my daughter doing an extra training session but instead she had to be pursuaded to rest.
                              Too many matches = not enough rest. The problem is no team wants to lose a match.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

simply put, the league cup needs to be scrapped. fa cup replays need to be scrapped. they are unnecessary. no other country has two domestic cup competitions.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                steveosnakeeye
                                Participant

you could also argue for less teams in the PL

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Chucky McChuckface
                                  Participant

Yeah, last team who voted themselves in should be the first team to be voted out I reckon. Start with the teams who never got promoted in the first place!! πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    steveosnakeeye
                                    Participant

touche πŸ˜›

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      nine nine nine

I kind of agree with Stevo. Clubs have large squads and great Academies and both of the domestic Cups are great opportunities to use them.

I would though scrap replays in the FA Cup completely makes no sense just to do it from the 5th Round onwards it should be consistent from the 3rd Round onwards and scrap the two legged League Cup Semi Final make it either a neutral venue or who comes out of the hat first like the previous Rounds.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

I would agree with most, the basic headline says it all “Too much football” Two legged semi finals are a nonsense, Replays are a nonsense in the modern time table and Players do need a recovery time. They should be fit enough to play two games a week but not every week.The football associations, all of them, are too greedy for more money and allowed themselves to be managed by TV and sponsors money, worst of all Betting companies. They do not pay enough attention to players health or the supporting fans on match days. They make millions but never lower the prices or support lower league teams the system needs a shake up

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.