Home Community General Football Time for Ten Hag to go

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    CM
    Participant

I stood by him throughout the season, but the last few weeks I believe he isn’t the right man for the job.

This season is a write off. 11 points from top 4, on par with the disaster of a season United had during the Ragnick/Ole campaign. Poor in game management, poor recruitment, poor tactics. Sitting back and playing the counter like he is managing a bottom 6 side. Think we have been outplayed most games this season besides from a handful.

His record away from home against the top 6 is embarrassing.

Not only does he need to go, so do the underperforming clowns as well.

Who should the club turn to? Who knows. But Ten Hag clearly is not the man for the job.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      sean the sailor
      Participant

Rumours of potter as he has worked with ashworth?

You always know a manager is losing it a bit when he starts to talk silly and eth has been like that a few weeks. Blaming transfer policy etc

Injuries have been a huge problem but do utd keep sacking managers after 2/3 years? When do they just be a bit more patient

Whoever let him spend 86m on antony should be sacked.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        CM
        Participant

Antony transfer was shocking. Gakpo came close to joining Leeds or Southampton that summer for Β£25m and he is better player.

The recruitment has been shocking for a long time. But we also seem to get players in who performed for their previous clubs, but arrive at United and become mediocre. This has not just happened under Ten Hag, it has also happened with previous managers.

I also agree with giving a manager time. But only if you see something there and you know there is progress. United have regressed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          sean the sailor
          Participant

Cm,liverpool were the exact same before klopp came. so many good players for years their previous clubs but were terrible for us. I think some just cant handle the huge change going to utd.

Utd need to find the perfect manager who hust brings the whole club together. Its very difficult

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Mikus LFC
            Participant

Thought he was the wrong appointment from day one. You have to have the personality and man management skills to manage a club like Utd. This idea he was going to coach a load of kids total football and develop them to be stars was for the birds and pie in the sky thinking. Reality at a big club doesn’t work like that. You still have to bring in some ready made top quality and then manage it all and deliver quickly.

As for players and poor recruitment, this has no doubt been an issue. But as I’ve said before, get the right manager in place who will lift everything, and it tends to concentrate minds in the backroom staff to get the signings right and players will also want to come and play for the right manager.

I’d throw in someone like Tuchel.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              CM
              Participant

I disagree with him being the wrong appointment from the start. It was pretty much down to him and Poch.

You cannot take away what he did at Ajax. There is another example of what id wrong at United. Managers failing to instill their style of play. Van Gaal, Jose and now Ten Hag all failed to do it.

With all of Ten Hag faults, United also have some rotten players with extremely poor attitudes. They turn up when they want to and throw the manager under the bus when they want to. Look how quickly it took Klopp to adapt his heavy metal football. Those were players with the right attitude and ran for the manager. United have too many who are reluctant to do that.

Ferguson had the same issue when he arrived, it took him half a decade to fix the problem. Got rid of some key players like Strachan because of it. Difference between Ten Hag and Ferguson is the people behind the scenes and some fans saw what Ferguson was doing.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Editor
                Keymaster

Tuchel should be nowhere near the job imo. Bringing someone in on the back of 3 consecutive sackings is not the way forward imo.

I like Ten Hag but he’s made far too many mistakes in recent weeks. Transfers are one thing. I’d happily cut him some slack there as a head coach in the modern game shouldn’t be the main decision maker when it comes to transfers. Saying Utd played well today was really poor from him. He’s not sorted out the midfield gaps.

I’m all for giving managers timebut CM is spot on. You only do that when you’re seeing progress. When it’s obvious things aren’t getting any better, you simply have to act. Ineos have made it clear that on the pitch performance is central to everything else the club does so they will not tolerate these poor performances for long I’d imagine.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Editor
                  Keymaster

I agree CM. He was easily the better choice out of him and Poch. I just think the transition and the building job from the Ole team to the kind of team he needed was too big and Utd lacked the structure to make that happen. Poch would have been an even worse choice imo. At least Ten Hag has a record of winning things. I’m still convinced Ten Hag can make a good career somewhere in the right structure.

Potter would be a terrible choice too. We need to be looking at Amorim, De Zerbi, Inzaghi or someone like that. If we go for any of Tuchel, Potter, Ange, I’d be very disappointed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

The right manager at Utd has to deliver progress quickly to manage the expectations on them and also make their job easier to offload any bad apples which in turn cements their authority. It starts with the right manager at a club with the right personality and authority and then the structure develops around that. Trying to put the structure in place first is like putting the cart before the horse for me.

In any case is the right structure/recruitment really rocket science? I think Utd made some panic signings over the years to try and make a statement but with little thought. Without the well admired Michael Edwards Liverpool have still generally bought well without him this season.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Nike19
                      Participant

Did write up something but the Internet connection decide to misbehave haha.

Can’t quite remember now, but something along the lines of finding somebody with the ability to really find technical ability in strength of a player and nurture them thereafter to develop, enhance and prepare them to face the real world.

Not Jurgen Klopp at all πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Mikus LFC
                        Participant

As for Poch, wasn’t he the one that knocked Ten Hag’s Ajax out of the CL that season with Spurs? Actually think Utd would have been better with Poch. They’d have at least been harder to beat imo.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          CM
                          Participant

Watching Chelsea this season, I don’t think that is would be the case Mikus.
                            Chelsea fans have turned against him.

Ten Hag 1st season wasn’t a failure. Poch 1st season at Chelsea is.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Mikus LFC
                            Participant

I think Poch has walked into a very difficult situation at Chelsea. There are so many players that have come in so recently and such young ones at that, there is little of an established core to build something around. Conor Gallagher is arguably one of the few established players in terms of someone who has been at the club for a long time (being in the academy). And he’s just 24 and been on loan a lot. It’s ridiculous really.

Poch has managed in several leagues. He got Spurs consistently into the top 4 & into a CL final on not the biggest budget. He may struggle to get teams over the line, but he’s clearly a competent manager who has proven experience in the league.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Mikus LFC
                              Participant

Ten Hag may have had success in year one at Utd in terms of top 4 & league cup. But I wasn’t particularly impressed with them and I think a deeper analysis of them examining things like goal difference where they were way off the teams around them last season (as they are this season) shows they’ve not got what it takes. Rodgers may not be the best manager in the world but when he took over at Liverpool, even though his first season showed no obvious achievements, he got the team scoring a hell of a lot more goals. And the next season he missed out on the title by 2 points.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Makaveli
                                Blocked

“Cm,liverpool were the exact same before klopp came. so many good players for years their previous clubs but were terrible for us. I think some just cant handle the huge change going to utd. ”

I think it’s an environmental issue. I went on about this, but deleted it as everyone knows but look…In a hypothetical universe where I’m in charge at Utd, this is what I do :

1) Club identity comes before everything from here on. Man Utd will play Attacking football.
                                  2) Get a sporting director in ASAP who is of quality and matching philosophy.
                                  3) Players are signed for the style/system and not for the manager.

I wouldn’t fire Ten Hag right now, unless someone became available. That someone would suit the club or they wouldn’t be approached.
                                  In the summer though, maybe Ancelotti gets fired by Real. I think he’d be fine to get in and see what he can do with a club that is willing to spend on proper talent.
                                  They wouldn’t just be buying the in fashion players. They’d be buying players that fit the formula. using proper analytics wouldn’t hurt them and a proper SD, like the lad from Brighton might see them go that route.
                                  I guess if they wanted to play a possession-style attacking brand of football, they could get himself and then DeZerbi.

The possession-based element isn’t exactly in Utds blood but if they did it in an attacking manner then it’s in the neighborhood and far away from the ghetto that they have been in since Fergie left.

If Utd start making appointments and signings based upon a set ins tone philosophy then they will eventually get there. Then if Ancelotti comes in for 2 years and does ok but retires, they can move onto the next top manager who can look at his inherited team and think “I can really do something with these guys”, instead of the poisoned chalice that’s being passed around right now.

So, while I don’t have to sit through watching them every week, like you CM, Ed and other Utd fans, I just don’t think it’ll help at all to keep going here and hoping.
                                  It’s not like you have a say in the matter but maybe if Utd fans kept repeating that they want their club identity to be the number 1 priority then I think you guys can finally get back on the path to being our great rivals again.

It’s a shame because as you all know, we might not be at the top of the game for much longer. How great it would have been to have been mixing it with you guys instead of City, all these years.
                                  We’d have made something special of it instead of one team using money hacks.

EDIT : and I am aware that we wouldn’t exactly call Brighton an attacking team. That doesn’t mean that these lads couldn’t do it when they had better players though, as they have shown that they are capable of punching above their weight, mixing it with the best in some metrics that are usually only there for the really top teams.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Makaveli.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Editor
                                  Keymaster

Ancelotti has done a good job at Madrid, no doubt about it. But he’s not a club builder I’m my opinion. He’s the type of manager who can take a great squad of players and get them enjoying their football and when you have the best group of players, that’s often enough to win most games. The problem is Utd don’t really have that outstanding group of players which he’s always had during any spells of success he’s had. Be it at Milan, Chelsea or Madrid, he’s had such a brilliant group of players. Just look at his less than impressive spells at Napoli and Everton for instance. He’s just not a builder of teams.

Despite Ten Hag’s struggles, I’m genuinely as optimistic as I’ve been in a long time about the club. The moves Ineos are making behind the scenes are what Utd fans have been crying out for for years. They’re going out and bringing in best in class appointments and insisting what Utd do on the pitch is central to everything else. Whoever the next man is, he’ll come into an entirely different job than Ten Hag did. He might succeed and he might fail, but he’ll be given the best possible chance to succeed and it’s a long time we’ve been able to say that at Utd. Success won’t come overnight but I think we’re finally making the right moves to ensure we can be competitive in the years to come.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Alfie_1
                                    Participant

I think he doesn’t have the respect of the players. Makes me sick as they are professionals being paid huge sums of money and they just muck about rather than graft.

A lot of that isn’t his fault but he does need to recruit better. Hopefully the new structure allows for that.

Tuchel and Potter are a huge no for me, De Zerbi is someone who could do well but would the players respect him any more that ETH? Another gamble.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Nike19
                                      Participant

I actually think ETC should stay, but he seems a bit soft in nature. They need a proper number 2 coach to really be able to speak and fire up players. They are capable one week, then the next, they’re just a different kettle of fish.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

One thing Ten Hag isn’t Nil is soft. If anything he’s potentially too much of a disciplinarian for the modern player. I’m not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that he’s soft with the amount of players he’s fallen out with. He’s as tough as they come. I think, like Alfie, the players bought into him in the first season but have failed to respond to him this season.

Poch is honestly the last manager I’d want at my club. Chelsea fans can’t wait to get rid of him. He, if anyone is too soft, imo.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Mikus LFC
                                          Participant

The only names on the current odds list I would look at for Utd would be Tuchel or possibly Amorim (but he’s not really made waves in European competitions with Sporting Lisbon).

I think people are unfair on Tuchel. I think he unfairly lost his job at Chelsea. I think PSG seem to go through managers quickly. And as for Bayern, I don’t really follow German football but there’s talk they need a rebuild and is he being made scapegoat, I don’t know? But he’s a proven manager at the highest level who won the CL with Chelsea & got PSG to the final. Instead all you Utd fans seem to want to keep throwing in completely unproven managers into one of the biggest jobs in football and play this long term developing youngsters pipe dream game. If you want to keep doing that and stay in the doldrums that’s fine by me πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.