Home Community General Football The World's Greatest football teams.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

What makes a great football team?

The history of football is replete with teams that have demonstrated the verve and artistry of the beautiful game. Since the turn of the twentieth century, many European and South American football teams have emerged from obscurity to dominate their respective eras. At the same time, the sport has evolved to encompass a greater array of skills and a higher degree of fitness.

The best football teams need to have won at least one trophy. They need to have played attractive but effective football in a climate of high technical standards. Most importantly, they need to have endured an era of stiff competition and intense rivalry.

Presented here are the ten best football teams that meet those criteria. They are chosen from the entire history of international and club football. To justify the selection, I have endeavored to find the best Youtube videos showcasing their abilities.

10. Arsenal (2004)

The `Arsenal Invincibles’ went through the entire 2003-04 Premier League season unbeaten. Despite Juventus equaling this feat in 2012, Arsenal won far more of their games, finishing on 90 points. The team included Theirry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires. Arsenal’s swift, attacking style of football destroyed the opposition, taking them to the league title in emphatic fashion. Their 49-game unbeaten record led to them being declared the Premier League’s best ever team.

The Best of Arsenal in 2004

9. Milan (1988-1994)

During this 6 year period, AC Milan won the European Cup (Champions League) 3 times, and the Italian League 4 times. They dominated European football thanks to a team of world class players, including Paolo Maldini, Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, and Franco Baresi.

Milan in the 1989 European Cup Final

8. Liverpool (1984)

The treble winning Liverpool team of 1984 won the league, a domestic cup, and the European Cup (Champions League) in the same year. They beat Roma in the final of the latter on penalties. Star man, Ian Rush, netted 47 goals in the season. Other notable players were Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, and Alan Hansen.

Liverpool in the 1984 European Cup Final

7. West Germany (1972-1974)

The German team that won the 1972 European Championships and the 1974 World Cup featured some of the best football players of all time. Led notably by Franz Beckenbauer, the team also included Berti Vogts and their prolific striker, Gerd Müller. They denied Johan Cruyff’s famous `total football’ Netherlands team with a 2-1 victory in the final of the 1974 World Cup. The video shows the highlights from this epic final.

Germany in the 1974 World Cup Final

6. France (1998-2000)

France won the 1998 World Cup, beating hot favorites Brazil 3-0 in the final. They then won the 2000 European Championships, defeating Italy 2-1 with a golden goal from David Trezeguet. Other notable players in the team were Theirry Henry, Zinedine Zidane, Didier Deschamps, Lauren Blanc and Lilian Thuram. They had world class players in every position, although Zidane was instrumental in their success.

France in the 1998 World Cup Final

5. Real Madrid (1955-1960)

Led by Alfredo Di Stéfano and Ferenc Puskas, the Real Madrid team of the late 50’s dominated world football. They won the European Cup (Champions league) five times in a row from 1956 to 1960. This culminated in the 1960 final when they beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in one of the greatest footballing displays of all time (see video).

Real Madrid in the 1960 European Cup Final

4. Manchester United (1999)

The treble winning Manchester United team of 1998-99 won the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League in a single season. It included greats such as Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane and Peter Schmeichal. Like many of Alex Ferguson’s teams, they fought until the last whistle, and this was demonstrated in no greater way than the 1999 Champions League final. Against Bayern Munich they came from behind to win with two late goals from Sheringham and Solskjær.

Manchester United’s Greatest Comeback

3. Barcelona (2009)

Ten years after Manchester United’s achievement, Barcelona won the first ever treble by a Spanish club. They beat United in the final of the Champions League 2-0, destroyed Real Madrid 6-2 to win La Liga, and also won the Copa Del Rey. This season saw the emergence of Lionel Messi as the best player in the world. Under the guidance of Pep Guardiola, Messi more than doubled his tally from the previous campaign. Barcelona’s tiki-taka style of play ensured they also won the domestic and UEFA Super Cups, and the FIFA Club World Cup in 2009, turning their treble into a `sextuple’.

The Best of Barcelona in 2009

2. Brazil (1970)

The 1970 FIFA World Cup saw the greatest World Cup performance of all time. Brazil scored 19 goals in 6 games, culminating in a 4-1 thrashing of Italy in a final where Carlos Alberto scored one of the best goals of all time. Also contributing to their beautiful brand of attacking football were greats such as Pele, Gerson, Jairzinho, Rivelino, and Tostão.

Brazil in the 1970 World Cup

1. Spain (2007-2012)

For winning 3 successive international football tournaments, the best football team of all time has to be Spain. They won the 2008 and 2012 European Championships, and the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Between 2007 and 2009 they went 35 games unbeaten. This included winning all ten of their 2010 World Cup qualification games. Formed almost exclusively from the Barcelona and Real Madrid teams, notable players include David Villa, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol, Xabi Alonso, and Iker Casillas.

Iniesta wins Spain the 2010 World Cup

Arguably below are the best football team of all time. Pep already has produced one great team in the Barca team of 2009could City develop into another? And arguably had the tragedy of Munich not happened then the Busby Babes would have made the list.

Spain (2007-2012)
      Barcelona (2009)
      Brazil (1970)
      Manchester United (1999)
      Real Madrid (1955-1960)
      France (1998-2000)
      West Germany (1972-1974)
      Liverpool (1984)
      Milan (1988-1994)
      Arsenal (2004)

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Brian blue
      Participant

Nine….interesting and well put together

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Brian, Tbh mate I was thinking about the great English teams ( other than Chelsea of course ?) that I’ve enjoyed the most in my years following the game and came up with Arsenal of 2004,United of 1999 and Liverpool of 1984 and then I came across the baulk of the article above and I thought I would share it with everyone.

I was a bit too young to remember too much about the Babes but from the television footage I’ve seen it showed that we were robbed of another truly great side.

I really enjoyed Barca 2009 under Pep too.

I like to think that I’m a football fan first and Chelsea fan second which I believe allows you to enjoy teams that aren’t your own and I’m currently enjoying this City side in the same way and they imo may well go on to become a truly great side too as all the ingredients are there. Cheers 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Editor
          Keymaster

Good article and hard to argue with any of the selections. Some incredible teams there. Thanks for sharing 999

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Big Jim
            Participant

Yes really good read, but this City team are a long way off being in this bracket. Sure we have potential but we need to win a few things for a start and Pep needs to hang arround a bit longer than another 18mths in sunny Manchester. Fingers crossed ☺

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

That Barca side of 2009-11 was something we will not see for a very long time!.Xavi,Iniesta,Messi-these players aren`t born every day.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Big Jim
                Participant

I agree Mav, that was some team. Messi in the Wembley final 2011 was unplayable.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

Nine..like you, I am a football fan first followed closely by City

As to great teams, difficult one but cannot disagree with your thoughts, I may add the Hungarian team that deolished England others were good but short lived. I also remember a Great Britain team playing the Rest of the World, circa 1947 both great teams but “one offs” The Busby babes I think would have gone on to be great, managed of course by a City Captain!!!!! never mind, we have Brian Kidd who has been an excellent servant for the club
                    I think City and Chelsea fear the same….will the managers actually finish the job…I think Pep will, he will not want to leave before he achieves and he will not be under any pressure until he does….why…because despite not winning anythin last season the culture change in the club is what we are reaping now

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Careworkerlfc
                    Participant

Excellent read Nine, Although the Liverpool side of 84 was a fantastic side to watch, I personally would have put the 1978-9 Championship winning side just ahead, In that season they conceded just 4 Goals at Home in a total of 16 Conceded (A Record in the 2 points for a Win Era) and 2 of them 4 Goals conceded were Own Goals also they amassed 68 Points in that Season which is a Record that will never be beaten, But as I said a very good Read Nine and very well put together.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Careworkerlfc
                      Participant

Also I would have Had the Great Ajax sides of 71-73 somewhere in there, Fantastic Football players in the ‘Total Football’ Style implemented by Rinus Michels and Garnering Three European Cup Wins in those Years. Just a Thought……

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.