Home Community General Football The good ol Ronnie vs Messi debate

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    robbo7
    Participant

Now they have moved on…….Messi has to go down as the biggest coward in football. Could have gone anywhere…ended up at a team which guarantees him trophies and a league which guarantees him goals.

When Barcelona/Spain built a side around Xavi and Iniesta, they conquered everything. When Barcelona built a side around Messi, they went backwards, quality players for their previous clubs went backwards.

1 thing I have noticed about Messi is when it comes to big games and when his side need him the most, he goes missing.

Ronnie has conquered Italy, Spain and England. At 36, decided to take up the difficult challenge of getting United back to the top and has got them out of trouble a number of times.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      FoxyFoxes
      Participant

I think when the dust settles and these two retire people will start to realise that neither are the greatest of all time

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        nine nine nine

Both truly great players very difficult to split them imho.

Messi went to PSG to have a crack at winning another CL, Ronaldo could have gone to City and guaranteed trophies but chose United which was understandable given his connections to the Club.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

Puupyov… you forgot to add “and nobody else were offering 400 grand a week!”

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Rover
            Participant

Without even reading this post I knew the intentions of the author was anti Messi universally hailed as the best after Pele and Maradona

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Editor
              Keymaster

Messi just edges it for me, as much as I love Ronaldo. Ronaldo easily second though. Nobody comes close to these two for what they’ve both achieved over such a long period. Much more respect for Ronaldo, though, for not retiring to the French league like Messi did. I think people see the Ronaldo of today and easily forget how good he was in those early Utd years. Such a privilege to have seen both playing at the same time.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                robbo7
                Participant

I cannot imagine Messi accomplishing anything near what he has at Barcelona if he moved to a different league sooner.

It is easier to build a side around Ronaldo in comparison to Messi imo. Ozil, Di Maria, Kroos, Modric, Carrick, Scholes and many others played their best football when Ronaldo was at his peak.

Post Xavi and Iniesta, you cannot say the same about Messi’s teammates. Messi has done well in the Spanish league. Ronaldo has done well across Europes biggest leagues.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Chucky McChuckface
                  Participant

One man’s “tried and proven himself in many leagues” is another man’s “mercenary who keeps moving for all the money”…

followed by

One man’s “stayed in one league and hasn’t proven himself” is another man’s “stayed loyal to his club, not something you see very often these days”…

Personally, I prefer watching highlights of Messi, more artistic than RonnyII, who was always more about power rather than finesse in my opinion.

But as neither played for the Spuds, both are shite!! 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    robbo7
                    Participant

Ronaldo has played in 4 leagues in 20 years, stayed at Madrid for 10 years, Banjo…..took a pay cut for his latest move. He could have earned more in the US or elsewhere. Ronaldo likes a challenge.

Messi wasn’t exactly earning peanuts at Barcelona. He left because they couldn’t afford his substantial wages. He is now on 1m a week at PSG. Only 1 club could seriously afford that and thats where he ended up. He apparently rejected City because they did not match his wage demands.

There’s only 1 mercenary out of the 2, Messi only stayed at Barcelona for the salary and they had to get rid just to ease their finances, Messi has now ended up at a club which were more than happy to pay those kind of wages. He could have played anywhere for less money, why PSG? 💰

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

Robbo, I said very similar some months ago, so obviously I completely agree with you. I’ve lost all respect for Messi.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Chucky McChuckface
                        Participant

Robbo, I’m not going to get into a debate with a YooUtd fan called Robbo 7 who started the debate in the first place about which of Messi and RonnyII is better… even I know hitting my head against a brick wall will only end up with me getting a headache… 🙂

As mentioned, I prefer Messi for the reasons I stated… sorry you don’t agree with it!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

Messi could do things no other player could. Ronaldo could be thrown into any side and deliver immediately. That’s always the way I look at it. Personally, I’ve always favoured Maradona because he also had the strength and physique to drive past people.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            robbo7
                            Participant

Banjo, I am not disapproving your opinion on who is the better player. You’re entitled to your opinion.

I disapprove your opinion on Ronaldo only moving for money, when it was Messi who left for PSG because of money. He wasn’t so loyal to his club then and took the easy option.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by robbo7.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              robbo7
                              Participant

Mak, exactly. Messi is a brilliant footballer, broke so many records in a league where Ronnie scored 310 goals in 291 games and where Freddie Kanoute was made to look world class 😉

Ronnie as a whole has accomplished so much. Won CL titles and leagues titles, top scorer at various different clubs and leagues, a international trophy for a average Portugal team.

Messi has yet to reach a CL final without Xavi and Iniesta.

In terms of honours Messi will come out of top because he played in a 2 team league and now a 1 team league and it is what keeps his record comfortable.

In terms of wanting to do things the hard way, Ronaldo comes out on top.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

I’d be inclined to agree with your summation Robbo.

The standout disappointing area for me re Messi is underachieving at International Level and never really hitting the heights.

Ronaldo on the other hand really stood tall representing his native.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  nine nine nine

You’ll never get an agreement on this it’s a beauty contest if you put a beautiful blonde next to a beautiful brunette and ask men to choose who is the most beautiful each man will have a different view of who is the most beautiful.

But at the end of the day they are both beautiful.😊

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

Nine, now you’re talking 🙂 🙂

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Rover
                                      Participant

I actually think Messi is cuter than Ronaldo.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        Chucky McChuckface
                                        Participant

The problem with the blonde and brunette analogy is you forget the redheads… nutter!!

Anyway, Ronny7, I was simply using the classic “One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter”… just chucked in some footballing terms…

At the end of the day, neither of us really who’s being paid what, am I’m pretty certain RonnyII doesn’t play for peanuts and a half-time orange because he loves YooUtd so much…

Ironically, Money City are the only ones who come out of this with any “respect”, having refused to cave into either players demands… who would have thought that!!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Rover
                                          Participant

Anyway the vast majority still consider Pele the best ever with Maradona a close 2nd, think 3rd, 4th and 5th are very open between the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Puskas, De Stefano, Cruyf, maybe even Best or Eusebio.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.