Home Community Non-Football The Future

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

Just learned the latest Retailer set to close more than 200 Stores in Boots.

The impact of Online Shopping and Sales means the High Street is effectively dwindling to Ghost-town albeit, Charity Shops, Coffee Shops, Discount Stores and Maybe the odd Dining/Fast Food Place.

Found a post from somebody online, and I couldn’t put this any better myself:

At some point in the distant future their will be no big shops, all goods will be stored in huge warehouses, and you will order it over the internet…..the big employment opportunities then will be van drivers, and small lorry drivers, to deliver it all. The problem is, the roads will be chocca blocked with these vehicles. And also you will have umpteen visitors knocking on your door…..l just hope it’s all not in my lifetime. But what is for real is we are facing a new age revolution in retail, and how goods are sold, and how they end up in the customers hands.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

I have this “debate” with my other half here all the time. She is the queen of online shopping and can spot a cyber bargain from about 400 yards… yet then complains when the locals stores close down. There are some quite depressing gaps in the shops around here, even in Finland. Everybody wants to save money where they can and then complain, and I do think this is slightly hypocritical, when “real” shops suffer.

Personally, considering what I do for a living, I also think the environmental impact of this style of shopping is utterly atrocious, with the extra packaging/waste involved.

An unbelievable case in point, drives me crazy and double scouts honour I’m telling the truth here, is our “cat litter” program. It’s cheaper to buy the cat litter we use online via the website, and for them to actually send the cat litter in box, in a box, with extra packaging to the pet store here in Finland, whereby “we” walk past the fooking great big pile of it in the shop to go to the counter, to have them go out the back of the shop and pick up the “double-packaged” cat-litter when it’s delivered individually. Yes, you read that right.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

Does anybody still shop @ the Boots,Nil? Just like the Wilkinsons,I thought it died long time ago???

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

Nil-Amazon is supposed to start delivering their goods next year with……………… drones.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Mav, my High Street Branch lost it’s appeal well over 15 years ago. I do shop there but only for the items I can get hold of either from Superdrug, any one of the Big Supermarkets or any of the other Toiletries Discount Store.

Wilko’s is still pretty good and is still around.

Haha mate, you’ll have loads of visitors but not visitors like friends and relatives because soon, they’ll be too busy ordering stuff online πŸ˜€

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Mikus LFC
              Participant

It’s the social aspect too as were cutting the human being out of the transaction. Call me old fashioned, but there’s nothing wrong with a bit of advice from experts and experience in shops, and also the simple exchanging of pleasantries at a supermarket where we’re instead increasingly dealing with machine tills. But it’s cheaper in the marketplace so that’s what drives it. Market knows best…not for me.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

I agree with that, quite enjoy going to the shops and basically shopping… and I’ll never understand in a month of Sundays why people buy clothes and shoes and thing like that, things I certainly want to try on if you know what I mean.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  maverick1973
                  Participant

Nil-Remember C&A,mate? Used to love shopping there!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

Yet it’s all M&S when my sisters are concerned…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      maverick1973
                      Participant

Kylie-Its still going strong in continental Europe,dont know why it closed down in the UK.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Good range of glasses.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

Right over you head Goose, shame on you… πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Funnily enough I was in there today and my Mrs was trying her best to help them out.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

What,27s glasses?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Sadly Mav.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Nike19
                                  Participant

Mav, yes mate. My Dad used to take me there for Children’s clothes like the 1980’s πŸ˜€ Saw a lot of my Schoolmates too at C&A

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

The level of activity in a store, footfall and trade has somewhat changed.

Food Supermarkets are not as affected. There are lots of pros to shopping Online:

– For mobility reasons
                                      – Families with Children – not practically always easy to take them out if you’re a Lone Parent or alone at the time
                                      – Elderly/Weak
                                      – Bad Weather
                                      – Convenience
                                      – Busy lifestyle/Work Commitments
                                      – Avoid Parking Charges
                                      – All selected from the comfort of your home

What you miss From the High Street:

– Human interaction
                                      – Not solely reliant on online reviews and can gain experience and advice from actually speaking to a person
                                      – Social interaction/meeting new faces
                                      – The shopping experience and the service delivered
                                      – A day out!

The way this industry is shaping, I thinking more towards the new generation and the prospect of them missing out on the Shopping experience. As I have grown older, I don’t quite have the interest as I did when I was a teenager growing up, but the experience of going into town on a Saturday was often exciting, even if I didn’t necessarily come home with Carrier Bags of Items.

Football Results a lot of the time were captured going into a Dixon’s or a Curry’s store and pretending to be interested in buying a New Set – they knew exactly what we were up to πŸ˜€ πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      maverick1973
                                      Participant

9-Nowt wrong with wearing glasses mate,was inquiring as what Kylie meant,lol

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Pagan
                                        Participant

Chuckles, had you down more of an S&M man rather than M&S…..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Chucky McChuckface
                                          Participant

ANd we have a winner, well done Peggy!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.