Home Community General Football Premier League – 25 years on

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The PL is 25 years old already (only seems like yesterday). What’s everyone’s favourite moment?
      might need a top 3.

Being a Utd fan the first PL trophy is one. I’ll always remember the home game v Blackburn just after we won (we won as Villa slipped up at home). It was a strange game, a celebration. Gary Pallister was teh only regular outfield player not to score that season so they let him take a free kick and he bobbled it into a corner.

Cantona signing for Utd. Massive, just massive.

Fergie retiring. (see above!)

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner

Wow, has it been 25 years already? Just reading through those stats on the BBC Sport site brings back so many memories. Cantona, Di Canio, Zola, Ginola, Gazza, Bergkamp etc. There have been so many talented players during that time.

Leicester winning the league was probably one of the highlights of those 25 years but I also loved watching those early Wenger teams full of flair and skill. Those Keane VS Vieira battles. The Shearer goals. The fan rivalries. May the next 25 years be every bit as exciting!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
      Hightown hope

For me as a Liverpool fan, it has been 25 years of hurt, by and large, but there have been good bits. The 2 successive 4-3 Newcastle win’s in, I think, ’97 and ’98. They were fantastic matches. And the other standout moment for me was our 4-1 win at Old Trafford in 2009 when Torres made a top class centre back in Vidic look very ordinary.

As an aside, who remembers in the early Sky/Premiership days the bizarre half time entertainment? Giant inflatable Sumo wrestling anyone?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Anonymous

I don’t have a great memory so this is such a difficult question for me. The Newcastle games were amazing. I will only pick one though and that’s the 2nd game because we went 3-0 up and were cruising only to be pegged all the way back to 3-3. I was watching that “oh fat chance on a repeat of last year”. . and then Fowler scores even later than collymore did the year before. There are arguments to pick the other game over it (Keegans head dropping after Collymore scored haha!) but no.

I’d like to think of a better result than the 4-1 at old Trafford but I can’t pick Istanbul 😛

The best moment (and this is a bit sad) was when we beat Man City towards the end of the 13/14 campaign. I truly expected the title after that day. WHOOPS!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Hightown hope

One of the funniest Premiership moments was Robbie Fowler’s goal celebration in front of the Everton fans at Anfield, when he ‘snorted’ the goal line in response to their smackhead taunts. And then Houlier’s explanation that it was a celebration learnt from Rigobert Song, something about cows grazing in the field as I remember.

Also Paolo di Canio push on the referee and the way the ref fell in stages!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Here’s a trip down memory lane for you all!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Anonymous

Not very many apparently. 4/9!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                Anonymous

Hightown/Makaveli

Torres was unstoppable that day. Just pure class. It’s a mystery as to what happened to him. Even before he moved to Chelsea he was showing signs of a rapid decline. Him with Gerrard supporting was one of the most exciting duos we’ve seen in the league

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

Cantona…people like to say Torres downed tools in protest at our American owners. I prefer to think that the injuries caught up with him, and that is backed up by the fact he wasnt great after he left. I think the club was guilty by playing him when he wasn’t fully fit, and he simply lost his pace and then his confidence. Great shame cos he was a fantastic player in his prime

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Editor
                    Keymaster

Question for you then Liverpool fans and I think I know the answer

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

like the liverpool fans, for spurs it hasnt been a fun 25 years. we’ve made huge improvements the last few years but the highlights for me are the 9-1 at home to wigan with defoe scoring 5 (had him as fantasy captain that day as well), crouch scoring against city to secure champions league football for the first time and sadly the come back against arsenal when we drew 4-4. funnily enough i got more joy out that draw with arsenal than when we have beaten them. whilst we havent been successful we have seen some incredible individual players who it was worth paying the entrance fee to watch.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Editor
                        Keymaster

I remember that 9-1 win Pax. Defoe was on fire. Spurs have definitely had some quality flair players through the years. Ginola, Gazza, Berbatov, Modric. Who was the most exciting to watch do you think?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.