Home Community General Football Politics in Football: Shaken or not stirred?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Here’s something for us to get our teeth into while we wait for the weekend to roll around.

Other than the usual suspects when it comes to politics in football, I’ve also seen today that Denmark’s kit suppliers have made some dramitic changes to their kit for Qatar, with some very blunt and to the point comments about it (agree or disagree, but there’s no chance of misunderstanding what they’re saying!), and I’ve also seen the Iranian national football team “protesting” about the recent events in Iran, putting themselves on quite dangerous ground back in Iran. Add these two events in the mix with the “One-love” captains band that FIFA are already trying to stop, and I’m certainly starting to think there’s a lot more “protesting” going on and I can’t decide if that’s a good thing or not.

I certainly agree with the reasons behind many of the protests going on, and I’m certainly one who supports the basic principle of freedom of speech and expression, but I also understand the concept of “One Mans Terrorist Being Another Mans Freedom Fighter”.

Is it all too much? Should sports simply be left to be sports and leave the politics at home?

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

I’m really torn on it Chucky. I think it’s a slippery slope once you start letting things creep in because who decides what’s a worthy cause and what’s not? With that said, football is a powerful weapon which, used in the right way, can help influence and inspire.

I can’t help but think the best thing to do is to ban everything, the poppy, taking the knee, rainbow symbols etc. Just ban the lot and let footballers themselves stand for what they believe in and use their own channels as they please.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Brian blue
        Participant

The problem I have Ed is people easily forget history and I doubt there is nation on earth that has noted a perfect history, however, in to days world…we live for to day and never learn the lesson

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Brian blue
          Participant

Chuky..I wish it could happen…”leave politics out of football”

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

I think we all agree the World Cup shouldn’t be in Qatar for all sorts of reasons but it is.

Personally I don’t think the armbands will have any impact Denmark wearing an all black kit for those that died in building the Stadiums might.

Once the World Cup starts it will be mainly about the football.

Like Brian says “I wish it could happen…”leave politics out of football” but unfortunately it’s too late for that.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              steveosnakeeye
              Participant

I thought this was going to be about Garry nev turning up at the Labour Party conference and being all over breakfast news…. Actually spoke well mind but certainly seemed somewhat biased

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Chucky McChuckface
                Participant

Haven’t heard anything about Neville Neville’s eldest Neville turning up there for his two pence…have to have a lookout for that.

In an ideal world, no politics in sport does sound great, but that would only work in an ideal world, which we don’t live in. And I do think we can only turn a blind eye for so long. There’s the wonderful situation with the LIV tour (not a fan of golf so I can’t say I’mm 100% up to speed with it all) but now LIV are apparently going to pay (not be paid, like the PGA) for their tourny’s to be on the television, another obvious attempt at “sportswashing” by people who really should be looking in a mirror.

I think I’m leaning towards to idea that, as Qatar basically bought the World Cup for political reasons within the GCC region, it’s only fair people/organizations from outside the GCC region are allowed to express their own beliefs, something that is allowed in free societies.

I remember being in Bahrain (yes, I know, feel free to point out the hyprocrisy here!) when it was Qatar WC award was announced, and the younger generation of the locals were very seemingly estactic about it (which I suppose you can understand!), but even the elders back then were very sceptical about it, the expected clash of cultures between the locals and several hundred thousand pissed-up Europeans… that, combined with worst football ever (due to the hot weather), and the political fallout which is only going to get worse te closer we get, is only convincing me we’re hurtling towards the worst world cup of all time!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  nine nine nine

Hummel hiding their logo in the colour of the shirt is a pretty meaningless protest imo just don’t put the logo on the shirt at all.

The only meaningful protest by kit suppliers is to refuse to supply the kit for the Qatar World Cup. More meaningful than rainbow arm bands is for qualified nations to refuse to play in Qatar neither of which will happen of course.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Chucky McChuckface
                    Participant

But is saying something at least better than saying nothing?

Totally agree the only meaningful prostest is to simply not take part, be it as kit-supplier, or as a team, but we all also know that will never happen.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Chucky McChuckface
                      Participant

And I wouldn’t underestimate the effect of the “Hummel” protest. You need to remember the locals in that part of the world are very easily offended (you’ll have to trust me on that one!), and the authorites in that part of the world are not used to the notion of not getting what they want. The gesture itself might not have that big of an impression on “face-value”, but the very simple fact that “gestures” are being made, rather than everybody just toeing the line, will have a much larger impact.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Brian blue
                        Participant

I cannot think of any one I know who is in favour of this wretched WC. That said most football fans will forget about it, then jump on the bandwagon again when it is over. The loss is to our Domestic game is bigger as I suspect others as well
                          As to Gary Neville…have nothing against him or his politics but I categorise him with ALL politicians. They all say one thing and do another when their time comes, then adept to passing on blame.Another form of showboating to me. When I hear them speak about “families”. and “struggles” from their well heeled jobs they can afford to be generous in their views and lets put Union bosses in as well with Gold plated pensions.When will they ever ALL put the country first and work together for the common good of putting the country on its feet. At the moment it is all doom and gloom with the Β£ falling…but what about our export business?They should be thriving at this time…..that is if we had anything we make still has a market!!!!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

Amen to the politicians, BB, waste of space the lot of them… left or right!!

You know, there’s something to be said for the Scandi models, whereby each country tedns to have 4/5/6 majors parties, so it’s pretty much always a hung parliment, rather than swinging between left and right and watching them spend more time tearing down what their predecessors does…

Better to have a hung parliment with parties that all agree on the major issues like healthcare etc… so all a hung parliment gets to do is make sure all the basic work great and the majority of the fringe elements with the more wacky ideas get marginalized…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Chucky, personally I think Hummel’s actions of building their logo into the colour of the shirt will ultimately barely cause a ripple although I hope I’m wrong.

The Rainbow armbands to be worn by the Captains of the European teams will imo stand out a bit more and probably initially cause a bit more comment but again I suspect that will also have a limited effect although I hope I’m wrong about that too.

Terrible decision to take the World Cup to Qatar.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Chucky McChuckface
                              Participant

Well, the Qataries have already “returned” fire at Hummel, as I suspected they would.

And I’ll bet a bag of Monster Munch FIFA will “ban” the armbands, something about them not being FIFA “pre-approved” or something…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

No suprise that Qatar disagreed with Hummel’s claims.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Luckydestiny
                                  Participant

I am very cynical of companies that virtue signal like hummel are. It feels more like marketing than righteous protest or genuine concern. Not saying there aren’t people at the company that genuinely care but the PR and marketing people are focused on the company image and nothing more.

With regards the topic of thread, I do tend to agree with Ed, scrap it all because otherwise you either allow all or discriminate and both those options are worse.

Fans can protest and voice their opinions of course, but players, teams and officials should just be focused on their job imo.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Brian blue
                                    Participant

Well, you are right Lucky….TV companies and the BBC (British Bias Corporation) all try an influence us that they have agendas which are right even if everybody disagrees with them apart from the Commercial Companies…I am fed up with the lot of them I still have my own mind. (just about!!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Luckydestiny
                                      Participant

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12707138/hummel-tones-down-branding-on-denmarks-world-cup-kit-in-qatar-protest

It is nonsense when you look at it. They say they don’t want to be visible in protest of Qatar, so that’s why their logo is still visible and they have let everyone and their dog know they are Denmarks kit manufacturer! It’s blatant self serving marketing and really grinds my gears!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Luckydestiny.
                                        • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Brian blue
                                        Participant

If we did anything out of line , you can be sure that FiFa/UEFA will be on us in a flash as if WW3 had started!!!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          threeps
                                          Participant

Not seen what Neville has done but I’m guessing he’s highlighted some of the human rights abuses in the lead up to the World Cup. For me this is a good thing as its a shadow that Fifa and the broadcasters will surely sweep under the carpet once the games begin. Bet Mr Neville wouldn’t have done that if his employers had the rights to broadcast.

Sport can be a great billboard for political views as it reaches a vast audience that may not have been aware of the issues beforehand. The problem is its only acceptable to us if we agree with that political viewpoint. For example I’m sure all on here would agree that that the human rights issues should be highlighted but I bet we all took offence to that russian gymnast who wore a Z on his top at a medal ceremony. We probably all agree that the rainbow armbands are good as the word that football is fully inclusive should be spread but I bet there’s a number of religious nut jobs out there that will take offence. It’s as chucky said in his opening post about one man’s terrorist being another man’s freedom fighter.

The Olympics has always outlawed polical views I believe and have done a pretty good job.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by threeps.
                                            • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by threeps.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.