Home Community General Football Net spend since 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    threeps
    Participant

Net spend is a subject a lot of fans like to use to beat each other with so I post this article in trepidation ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Below is a link to the list of Europe’s top 12 net spenders since 2015. There are 6 Premier League teams, but none of Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs. One Premier Team in particular will probably be a surprise to most, see no 10, just what the heck have they spent their money on?

Europe’s biggest net spends since 2015: Liverpool 29th

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by threeps.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Mikus LFC
      Participant

Assuming thereโ€™s substance to the below story, then it epitomises the problem at these big clubs. A lot of these people on the board are basically like big kids playing the football manager video game – because they like some players they want them irrespective of how they are actually playing and fit in. Coutinho was another rush of blood to the head by Barcelona. Even Liverpool were still getting caught up in it not that long ago when they signed Sakho, with Ian Ayre at the time actually saying it was a โ€œmarquee signingโ€. He was one of the first players to be ditched by Klopp when he came in. The moral of the story: Big money corrupts.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1127084/Manchester-United-Anthony-Martial-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-Joel-Glazer

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mikus LFC.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        maverick1973
        Participant

Lol,Arse one of the best teams in selling players for profit,whereas United,Barca and AC some of the worst teams for selling players on for profits.If it wasnt for Lukaku,who in ther right mind would buy any of our absolutely fooking shite players? Coronavirus or not,not even teams in China would pay ยฃ80m for utterly useless piece of unmovable wood like Maguire,lol.We only have ONE SIGLE PLAYER that can be sold for decemt noney-Rashford! The rest are BOGOF
          B-UY
          O-NE
          G-ET
          O-NE
          F-REE!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by maverick1973.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

Juventus are @ least dominating their domestic scene of football,making the Serie A like Scotland,whereas teams like United should be banned for the next 10 years.We are utter embarrassing,top to bottom,period!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            threeps
            Participant

Was surprised to see Brighton on the list. If they go down would they be in trouble? I know there’s parachute payments or whatever they are called but it seems they have been playing a non-sustainable game, and going down could be very bad news for them.

I guess they’ll just sell Lewis Dunk and Glenn Murray to Utd for over-inflated prices!

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

What does it prove? Why select 2015 why to 2019, 2005, 2000 or even go back to 1980?
                Statistical nonsense unless you like playing around with numbers
                I doubt if there is a fan who would not like the benefit of big money in there club but as we know, it never grantees results and never will by the same token being without adequate funds limits any clubs ambition. Occasionally they will do well but sustainable but good luck to any of them. It is all down to Management structure then

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                threeps
                Participant

Bit touchy there Brian! Hit a raw nerve?

My reason to bring it up was to discuss the spending of teams like Brighton and Everton, and what it could result in. Leeds again anyone? Theres no surprise to see both Manchester clubs at the top of the list so no point discussing it and certainly doesn’t need proving. It’s been said many times already.

Why to 2015? Why not? Ask the writer if you are bothered by his choice. I guess going back further is difficult to maintain credibility to the report as it wont consider inflation or even worse football inflation.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

There’s no conspiracy against City. They chose that time because the numbers are interesting from then and it’s not just about City either.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Hightown hope

I think what is interesting in that article threeps is how the value of players can plummet as well as astronomically rise. However much anyone wants to have a go at City for their net spend, by and large, their players have maintained or increase their values, or they have been there long enough to get greta value. If they sold Sterling tomorrow they would get more than the ยฃ50m they paid for him, as they would for Laporte, KDB, Bernado Silva, Jesus, and Edison. And they have had more than their money’s worth from the likes of Fernandinho, David Silva and of course Aguero. They have had the odd mistake as well, but when you compare that to United’s or Arsenal’s net spends and players they’ve got on their books, they’ve done pretty well. What would Luke Shaw, Lindelof, Matic or Martial be worth now? Even Aubamayang or Lacazette?

Fortunately at my club, we’ve either been very lucky or incredibly astute. I can only really think of Karius as a major mistake, mind you, he did cost us a Champions League, so you could say that cost us very dearly!! In the past we had plenty of expensive cock ups…Aquilani/Carroll anyone? But now we have been brave enough to sell our best players like Suarez and Coutinho, and still manage to strengthen the team. That is key, and that is down to the team of Michael Edwardes and Jurgen Klopp.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Pagan
                      Participant

The big clubs need the best players to maintain their status, these players generally cost a fortune, however if they maintain their form they re sign and see out their best days there, when theyโ€™re eventually sold or let their contracts run down their residual value is very little or nothing.

As HH says Liverpool bucked that trend by selling a couple of players at their peak and managed to strengthen their team without spending big bucks on players in the main, whether they can continue that trend remains to be seen, theyโ€™re at a level now where only the best will do when it comes maintaining their current status, and buying the best costs.

In general though the net spend is irrelevant, if your club makes enough money from other sources than player sales to meet FFP whereโ€™s the problem?….Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

Agreed HH. Take what you’ve said about City and apply it to Utd’s spending. What players there have gone up in value? Most are plummeting in value.

yet, oddly enough, as their actual valuable assets dive, the club’s value soars. What continuously increasing value does a currently failing club have when creating new revenue streams? It’s no new things either.

Are new or fledgling fans flocking to see the great Utd today? No. You’d imagine that their fanbase will not grow a huge amount until their football improves, so that leads me to think that the exploitation of Utds fanbase has been far away from saturation point until at least recently?

I’d like to know what woodward has done over the past year to make their value shoot up by over 300m. I mean what specific doors are you opening here cause that’s a huge gain for such a poorly performing club.

Not having a go, I’m just genuinely baffled. Utd may be on their way back now soon, with fernandez being the first signing to put them on track.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Anonymous

Pagan confirms MBappe 2020!

BOOM

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Pagan
                            Participant

Mak, Man Unitedโ€™s fan base will increase as more often than not team allegiance is handed down through the family, and as Man U were at the forefront of the global expansion of football, the โ€œnewโ€ fans they picked up then are now having families of their own who consume merchandise, that merchandise carries the sponsors name which in turn increases the value of that sponsorship.

Not sure I confirmed anything regarding any player though…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              maverick1973
                              Participant

Mak-The reported 600m fans worldwide cannot fit into OT all @ once,lol.Having new fans or keeping the current ones is really not that crucial,what happens on the pitch is what counts.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Net spend discussions are always liable to create a certain amount of animated discussion.

I saw the analysis from transfermarkt a while ago for spends over the last 10 years both gross and net which has City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool as the top 4 spenders in the PL of the last 10 years in that order by both gross and net spends.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Anonymous

Mav… Buy one get one free? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3A1TT3kwIY

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Brian blue
                                    Participant

No, I am not talking about City or any club for that matter. It was the subject matter that was irrelevant to me. It is just another manufactured statistic that has no value

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      maverick1973
                                      Participant

442-Thats the one matey.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

I don’t want to go too far down the “value” line of thought TBH because then we’d have so little to talk about but for me this is worthy of discussion, at least. These kinds of stats are an indication of how well/poorly a team is doing in the market. It’s not definitive, as there are other factors but I kinda take some pride in seeing how well Liverpool have performed. So much praise is heaped onto Klopp that people and the media tend to forget the likes of Edwards and also the opposite end of the spectrum, Woodward.

Now, I’d argue that the value of this comes from shining a light on Woodward. Utd’s owners don;t seem to be aware or just not bothered by the absolutely awful footballing decisions made by this man. If the publics voices were loud enough, that might convince the owners to get someone else in there to make the footballing related decisions’.

We have another 10 days or so until our next game, so we could do with opening up some topics like this.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Brian blue
                                          Participant

I can see your point Mak but if it is not, as you say, not definitive, that is my point of no value. What happens on the pitch, like Liverpool have been showing us is what matters, how well a club is doing depends on that, how well it is managed by the Manager then by the Board is another All about opinion Mak, no winners or losers My only other point is be it Liverpool or city or others I always thinks of the other teams who make the League possible without them there would be no Champions

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.