Home Community Liverpool Liverpool v Hoffenheim

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    gingerlfc
    Participant

Big game tomorrow night against one of the harder opponents we could have faced.
      No Sturridge, Coutinho, Clyne or Lallana is problematic.
      Hoffenheim scored the most goals from set pieces last year in the Bundesliga. I really hope a Klopp has been working on our defensive structure these last coupla days.
      Seeing that this game is away I’d imagine Hoffenheim will want to take the game to us which may leave them susceptible to being hit on the break which is where Salah and Mane could be very dangerous.
      We could have this tie wrapped up in this one game if we stay tight at the back.
      God only knows which Liverpool will turn up but it’s unlike Klopp to have 2 bad games in a row.

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

There was a stat put up during the Watford game that listed Liverpool as joint top, or 2nd (I think) highest club in the PL for conceding goals from set pieces since Klopp started as manager.

I didn’t realise just how many you had conceded from set plays. The more it occurs and the more it gets highlighted the more teams will target that.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        gingerlfc
        Participant

Yes. The second worse in the league.
          Abysmal.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Anonymous

Klopp has had plenty of time to address the issue at set pieces. He seems to have no interest in sorting it out.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

I didn’t see the “list” as mentioned, but they did show a highlight reel of Pool conceding from set-pieces over here, unfortunately for Pool, every team they play know this is a weak spot… they really need to work this out for their own sake!

Anyway, good luck against ze Jarmins… every point in the coefficient counts against that lot!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Nike19
              Participant

Paxton, I have noticed that too from Jurgen Klopp after the 3rd goal. But it’s almost as if he knew it was coming. He’s reached beyond the point of venting anger and shouting at his players – already in resignation.

I wasn’t Rafa’s biggest of fans, but he exhibited discipline when it came to defending – even under Gerrard Houllier we had leaders or a partnership in Hyppia and Henchoz that worked

I hope we can get past this hurdle tomorrow as I would have us to give it a good go at the CL even if we don’t win it. That’s the least I’d expect when entering any given competition.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                sean the sailor
                Participant

Tough game. Klopp has said the team worked in defensive organisation at set pieces a lot in the summer. That’s a massive worry. Osaka was the dangerman but we on,y started to man mark him at set plays after he scored.

It’s crazy this is still going on. I’m getting a bit concerned about Matip aswell. Doesn’t seem to be aggressive enough.

Going forward we are fine but the squad is depleted already.sturridge aswell. What’s the point with him. Klopp said he be bsck for tomorrow yet he’s still out.we need players in. Players that can come into the first 11.

Klopp has my full support. I think we will have a good season but the defence has to improve big timr

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Anonymous

I think Liverpool will stroll past hoffenheim. Shouldn’t be an issue with the team they have.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Anonymous

Paxton, Hoffenheim had the best record at scoring from set pieces in the Bundesliga last season. We only gave away 3 corners to Watford the other day and they scored from 2 of them.

Now, the one thing that gives me some confidence is that Hoffenheim also had one of the best defences regards set pieces last season too. Why on earth would that be a good thing?

Well, my guess is that from this we’re talking about a big enough team and judging by the fact that they came 4th they can probably play a bit of football too but their strength is obvious. With a strength, you can often make an educated guess at a weakness, if you consider the league and position they finished in. Well, I am going to do that and guess that they might struggle against us in open play, when we’re on the attack.

So, no I don’t think we’ll breeze past them but I do think we’ll get to do our thing and score goals. We don’t have Coutinho, who has let himself and the team down with this fake injury nonsense but like any team worthy of being called one, we’ll march on without him because we have a lot of quality in our side and our system.

I don’t want to try and call whether we’ll win or lose until I’ve watched the first match though.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Anonymous

Mak, that’s fair enough. I just think the standard between 4th in the Prem and 4th in Germany is big. I think Liverpool have an excellent first team but just lack a bit of depth like spurs. Everyone knows liverpools biggest weakness is set pieces but they also know how dangerous they are going forward and especially on the counter. I think Liverpool will control both games just have to be patient if they can’t get that break through early. I think Liverpool will secure a 3 or 4 goal victory over two legs.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                        Bofa
                        Participant

I think that anyone who does their homework on us had a decent chance. I’d say it’s 50/50 as to whether we’ll get through. Our only chance is to go at them and try to outscore them as we will concede. We also have Lallana, Coutinho, Clyne and Sturridge out. Last year we really struggled when Lallana and Coutinho were out. Worried!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                          J C
                          Participant

It’s my first post here, congratulations on the new website, better than teamtalk already, and good choice of domain name too.
                            Just a reminder to the editor (because teamtalk failed to do this) make sure to enable automatic updates in the wordpress control panel, so you stay up to date with important security patches.

As a Liverpool fan, I’m not looking forward to this one. It’s going to be a nervy game, and I could see us conceding 2 or 3. Let’s hope Klopp keeps the lads calm and they score enough to stay in contention for the second leg at Anfield.
                            The plus side of being a Liverpool supporter these days, is we don’t get too many 0-0 draws. Let’s hope for an entertaining game.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by J C.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                            Editor
                            Keymaster

@JC Welcome to the site. Cheers for the reminder. Auto updates are enabled so we should be fine there.

As for the game, I think Liverpool will get through. It won’t be boring that’s for sure. Are we likely to see Solanke play?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                              Anonymous

Pax, I hope you’re right regards the difference between 4th in germany as opposed to the PL. I’d be a lot more confident if we had Lallana fit though because I feel our midfield is not only more balanced but he switches with his counterpart ahead of him much more instinctively and will run into space intelligently. Can will likely play in his place but the last day, he didn’t look at all sharp besides the flick on for Mane’s goal. He has had another 90 minutes now so who knows. .

Our forward line is deadly though alright. if we can play intelligent balls to them and not just hit and hope then we’ve always got a chance.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                Anonymous

Welcome JC, good to see another one sign up 😉

Editor, you know that question about Solanke brings up a scenario about Firmino that I just wonder if it might work in a pinch. Before you lads shoot it down, consider how Lallana struggled further up on the RF position but thrived when dropped back into midfield. I’m not saying we should get int he habit of doing this , as I want to only really see Firmino play as our 9 but , could he, in theory, replace Lallana?

Firmino has the fight and physicality for it, he’s got a great eye for a through ball. He’s also very determined. The only reason this occurred to me is because of how off the pace can was in the last match. I’m not sure we should expect to get away with that much longer and Lallana will be out for 3 months. Now, I’d only consider that were we to have a quality player to play up top. Ings is on the road back but I don’t see him playing first team football for another 6 weeks minimum. They need to be careful there but Solanke looks great. I was really disappointed to see Origi given the nod before him, from the bench the last day. .

Anyway, I’d probably be horrified to see this change happen from a starting line-up in such an important game but I’m just wondering if it could work.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                  Hightown hope

Interesting thought, Mak. I think Bobby does have the makings of certainly as much of a midfielder as Lallana is.ie not exactly a tough tackling enforcer but a creative energy playing deeper. He certainly has the workrate.

Watching the game on Saturday in a pub near my home in Manchester I overheard a United fan calling Firmino for being a lazy t**t. You can call him a lot of things but lazy ain’t one of them!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                    gingerlfc
                                    Participant

Team I predict for tonight is…
                                      The same as the weekend apart from the fullbacks. I can see changes being made there. Don’t see what we can change elsewhere with the injuries we have.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                      Anonymous

Ginger, I thought Moreno was ok on Saturday. The goals you conceded were weak but were from set pieces. Is clyne not fit? Didn’t think the youngster at right back had a great game but the only way he’ll improve is by playing more. I do rate clyne though so it’s a tough one.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                        sean the sailor
                                        Participant

Can see Milner starting. Is clynne fit again?

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          gingerlfc
                                          Participant

No Clynes still out.
                                            Can see Milner starting in a fullback position.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.