Home Community General Football Here is exactly how Uefa plan on bringing in a European Super League by the back

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    steveosnakeeye
    Participant

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/here-is-exactly-how-uefa-plan-on-bringing-in-a-european-super-league-by-the-back-door/ar-AAG6yOK?ocid=spartanntp

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      nine nine nine

Interesting comments re the development of the CL.

If a Super League ever comes about and eventually I think it probably will it will probably be driven by the ECA and the European Super Clubs within it and UEFA will have to go with it imo.

But it’s still a way off and UEFA are understandably keen to keep it at arms length because they don’t want anything to jeopardize the jewel in their crown.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Chucky McChuckface
        Participant

It will be a lot harder to qualify but at least there is still a route for “smaller” clubs to somehow qualify. My biggest “fear” would be the new thing being a closed shop.

I think we all know it’s coming, whether we like it or not…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Brian blue
          Participant

Agree with Chuky…it will come and maybe UEFA fear they will have a minor part unless they start doing something quick. Lets get back to a Champions league for Champions
            The Final was played by teams finishing 2/3 from one country…….Before anybody shouts….Liverpool and Tottenham deserved there day, they were there on merit as the rules state, but the competition needs to be re named or re formatted I think future competitions will address this but I also think that the thinking from TV and some countries is that GLOBAL leagues and CUPs is what they seek.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Chucky McChuckface
            Participant

The more I think about it, don’t think it’s that bad of an idea (if I’m understanding it correctly)

4 Leagues of 8, with the Top 2 from each League playing the quarters/semis/final knockout…

The bottom two being “relegated” with all the quarter-finalists from the Europa League being promoted for the next year…

Then the Europa League can have it with their own qualifying… although I have no idea how that would effect the league or, in principle, having any country with a strong league filling up the “Champions League” with a million clubs…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Brian blue
              Participant

Chuky…maybe so, I just see it as a thin edge of a wedge. I think this is a contest for who takes charge of Global football, probably will not happen in my lifetime but it will arrive

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

I can’t ever see the CL going back to just being for the Champions neither the Clubs or UEFA want that Brian.

Wrong branding though imo UEFA should have stuck with the European Cup name as it always stands out more when non Champions win the Champions League or compete in the Final .

It’s a better and more difficult competition to win now thats it’s more than just Champions competing for it though.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Brian blue
                  Participant

Well I could go along with that point Nine..it does come down to branding, that awful word od sponsor driven money. It also begs for a solid European league or Cup by knock outs. However, I think this will be overtaken by the TV companies desire for Global competitions and UEFA, FA etc not smart enough to counter. I still think it will happen.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Mikus LFC
                    Participant

As the article above points to, this is all rooted in the resentment that the continental clubs have towards the much bigger money in the premier league and thus they want to drive more of it towards themselves. But no matter how big the clubs’ global fan bases are becoming, they are still, by simple geography, inextricably linked to their own local community and fan base. And the match going fans still wield a strong influence on a club be it from mass protests, boycotting or driving out managers. So whilst the Champions League may well change somewhat, I don’t think a full on breakaway league is on the horizon just yet. I think the local fans would stamp their feet too much. However, the big clubs on the continent could well make further mischief by playing European games at the weekend, which has been mooted (which would obviously take the focus away from the domestic leagues – link below). So at the moment, this is ultimately a simple power battle between the Premier League and the Champions League.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/17/champions-league-proposals-could-see-introduction-weekend-matches/

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Chucky McChuckface
                      Participant

So at the moment, this is ultimately a simple power battle between the Premier League and the Champions League.

I pretty agree with the rest of your post but not entirely with this. I think there is a power struggle of sorts, but I think it’s more to do with the “historically” big-clubs who have been somewhat underwhelming with all the competition the last few years, trying to protect themselves first and foremost.

Last 10 years or so, we’ve had the likes of Chelsea, City, PSG suddenly progress into super-clubs, upsetting the apple cart a bit, and now we have the likes of Arsenal and Spurs in the UK, perhaps not historically heavyweights as such, now building super stadiums and from a financial perspective, matching and beating just about every club in Europe bar Real, Barca & Byern. That’s what the battle is about I think, not so much protecting their own leagues.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

We’ve been here before.?

A midweek European Super League doesn’t mean the end of domestic football across the main European Leagues nor should it plus the fans wouldn’t stand for it.

A couple of CL games played at the weekend isn’t something the PL or any of the European Leagues couldn’t cope with we already have a League Cup Final and 2 FA Cup Semi Final FA Cup games at the weekend and the PL games that they effect are easily re organised.

The planned changes to the CL excluding any qualifying games would total 19 games for any team who reaches the Final a two division 16 team midweek European Super League would just another 11 games to that.

Personally I think ultimately that’s the way it will go but definitely not at the expense of the Domestic Leagues and probably with enlarged squads to 30 players rather than 25 and the creams competing in the Super League would probably need to drop out of the League Cup.

Obviously the Club’s who have previously won the CL and are operating in their too domestic divisions would have automatic qualification to the first division of the Super League.?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Mikus LFC
                          Participant

Fair point Banjo – I just simplified the conclusion – but it is indeed a battle between the premier league and the big historical continental clubs, who are looking to drive changes to the CL as a way of levelling the playing field in terms of money/revenues, though I still don’t see a full on breakaway league happening just yet for the reasons given above.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

….as to a breakaway European League I don’t think either the ECA or UEFA will want that and they will work together to get the right conclusion sometime in the future.

Personally I don’t see it happening anytime soon but I can see it ultimately happening.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

My guess as to when it happens is when the curve on the accountants sheet starts to flatten The TV companies will be ready. FiFA/UEFA/FA etc depend on TV revenue. I think fans will walk away. It is a good point about not wanting British teams in UEFA competitions, years ago it was forced on us, we had an even weaker FA then and we were bullied, with or without Brexit if UK teams are pushed out again, any Euro team could hardly call themselves Champions I am even surprised they let England in Euro’s now
                                Guys, this debate has brought about some quality discussion, where we make our points in a sensible and constructive way, something that has been lacking. Well done to you all

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Chucky McChuckface
                                Participant

Considering the number of teams/countries in the Euro’s and both Euro Cups, I can’t even think of a logical, let alone legal argument that UEFA could have to kick the home nations out of the Euro comps on both a club or country format. Genuinely think there absolutely nothing to worry about there.

Having said that, no idea how the clubs themselves might suffer under the whole freedom of movement for workers or anything like that. Again, don’t think UEFA can overrule the EU, so pretty sure if anything happens it won’t be too drastic.

Do think the best way forward is the 4 x 8 mini-leagues, with the TOP 2 from each going into the knockouts and the bottom 2 being kicked back down to “Thursday Night Football”, with all the quarter-finalists being promoted into “Tuesday/Wednesday Night” football. Sure, it still benefits all the big clubs who, who in the event of being kicked out will only miss a season at best, give all the smaller clubs a reasonable chance to qualify (as they only need to get to the quarters!), and should in theory keep everybody on their toes in the 4 x 8 as they really wouldn’t be that many dead rubbers. Always something to play for!!

BANJO FOR PRESIDENT

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Brian blue
                                  Participant

Something to be said for most of the points, the two games a week will become normal, bigger squads will be justified and a winter break brought in. I have never subscribed to the football “athletes” being tired playing two games a week but what is the tiresome part is the constant travelling but that is a price they have to pay for the salaries they earn. I must say, I probably travelled more in my working life and it did not affect my salary!!!!! I would agree, we do need to find ways of encouraging smaller clubs with some posotive action but at the moment I would not know how to go about this and be fair to all Good post Chuky

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Chucky McChuckface
                                    Participant

Dunno if the clubs would go for bigger squads, that would obviously mean bigger wage-bills. I think they’ll go down the path of more subs, to be honest. Of course, the drawback to that is an increased number of time-wasting opportunities for winning sides… unless you limit the number in “in-game” subs, keep it at the 3 it already is, but allow teams to change up to another 3 at HT. Share the game time a lot more with all the players you’ve already got and likely not to need larger squads.

That would also really sort out who’s a proper manager, who can tinker with his team at half-time and change games around. That would be quite interesting I think.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Chucky McChuckface
                                      Participant

Double B, the thing about the travelling, if they were going like us mere mortals then I could fully understand that being a pain in the Arsenal, but considering they generally travel by private plan via private air-strips or at the very least the very, very posh part of the airport, don’t have to queue up for baggage or passport control, and probably have a lot more fun in the shops than we do as they can bloody well afford, I think it would be fair to say feeling sorry for professional footballers because they have to fly 1st around Europe (or anywhere for that matter!) is just about the last thing I’ll ever do!! πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Pagan
                                        Participant

999, interesting comment from you that the clubs would be able to cope with extra games in a European League, yet you say they couldn’t cope with going into the FA Cup from round one due to fixture congestion…..Pagan

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          nine nine nine

Pagan, seemingly you missed the caveats,which were all teams playing in a European Super League would have an enlarged squad to 30 players and not compete in the League Cup.

PL teams competing in the CL who reach the Qtr Finals of the CL which is probably the average play 10 games a 16 team European Super League would only play an extra 20 games with the additions of the above and under the proposed revised CL rules they would play 16 games in reaching the Qtr Finals so just an extra 14 games

Maybe the PL Clubs competing in any Super League dont enter the FA Cup until the 5th round either?

I just was saying it’s doable and eventually will probably come about but there would have to be some changes.

As I said previously the top Clubs playing in the FA Cup from the first round isn’t a bad idea rightly or wrongly I just don’t think there’s any appetite from the PL and Championship Clubs to go in that direction whilst at some point I think there will be an appetite from the top PL and European Clubs to play in a Super League. Cheers 9’s

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.