Home Community General Football Fixture changes to accomodate Amazon

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Nike19
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50082517

Came across this last night. Worth a look. Amazon have a right for a chunk of Fixtures they wish to relay.

Naturally, this will Scoop the Sales of Firesticks, especially with Alexa-Voiced.

Put the commerce to one side, now 8pm Kick Off at Leicester. Boxing Day, so where are the Buses? No Bus Service, simple

Taxi Company’s on Boxing Day naturally will charge more as it’s a Bank Holiday. I don’t know how Uber will operate.

Above all, this is all on the Football Association and the Premier League. Okay, so it’s Leicester City-Liverpool taken out to highlight the point, but have a look at the Link and the example of New Years Day.

Don’t the Supporters of the Game at all have any Say?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Chucky McChuckface
      Participant

“If you dance with the devil in the pale moonlight” you can’t be surprised when he turn arounds and bites you in the Arsenal.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Nike19
        Participant

Now, Beejay my kind good friend: lol how the devil am I supposed to make sense of that analogy? ๐Ÿ˜€

You Gimmie Money, I play by ‘Your Rules’ right?

You leave me standing in the cold with no Bus Service to my name, make me fork out extra money for a Taxi so XYZ gets to line his Pockets?! Grrr lol ๐Ÿ˜›

Mate, the distance between the Working Class Man and The Beautiful Game grows more than ever.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Chucky McChuckface
          Participant

That’s exactly it cyber chum, the clubs (and the fans!) are quite happy to take to cash, and then act surprised when they want something for that money…

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
            nine nine nine

What are the packages?
              Package A – won by BT 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30
              Package B – won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30
              Package C – won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45
              Package D – won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30
              Package E – won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00
              Package F – won by Amazon 10 matches from one Bank Holiday and all 10 from the Boxing Day fixture programme
              Package G – won by BT 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Chucky McChuckface
              Participant

I’m left wondering if this means I don’t get those games on my telly if they’re all on AMAZON, cause I ain’t paying for it again…

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Nike19
                Participant

Amazon can easily rake in numbers, and yes, more TV money.

We can have a bit of playful fun with this, and you are right mate; those that signed that ‘dotted’ line haven’t spared a thought at all for Travelling Supporters and those that are the Lifeblood to the Club.

All they ‘bothered’ about is Armchair fans like Yours Truly.

Beejay Mate, we no longer have a Voice in this part of the Society.

(until persons in extreme make a stand along with governing bodies ready to Regulate)

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

Beejay, 8:16: Amazon Account Sign Up, followed by Amazon Prime, then a Hdmi lengthy Cable.

Failing that my dear mate, just buy yourself a Stick and plug it in. As long as there’s Internet, you should be able to receive.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Nike19.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Luckydestiny
                    Participant

Lol Banjo, I loved Nicholson in that movie.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

The so-called big six Premier League clubs have won their persistent battle to be paid a greater share of the income from its burgeoning international TV rights which have for 26 years been shared equally between all the leagueโ€™s clubs.

Led by Manchester City and Liverpool, supported by Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, the six have pressed the case that as they are the prime attractions for global audiences and money paid by international broadcasters, they should receive more of the money.

Amazon breaks Premier League hold of Sky and BT with Prime streaming deal

This is a landmark change to a key element of the rules and which has helped to preserve a measure of financial and on-field competitiveness ever since the First Division clubs broke away from the Football Leagueโ€™s inter-divisional sharing arrangements and formed the Premier League in 1992.

As 14 clubs must approve any change to the Premier Leagueโ€™s rules, the required majority had not been obtained until the summer club meeting on Thursday when the executive chairman, Richard Scudamore, announced the change. Under constant pressure from the six, with Liverpoolโ€™s majority owner John Henry having pressed the case publicly recently, Scudamore came up with a compromise which secured the majority.

From 2019-20, the first season of TV deals being concluded now, the current level of revenue from international TV rights sales, ยฃ3.3bn, will still be shared equally between all 20 clubs. Any increase on that level, which Scudamore is understood to be confident of securing, will then be distributed according to where a team finish in the league. So the six, confident of finishing in the higher places every season for the foreseeable future, will for the first time be paid more of the international TV rights revenues on that basis.

The UK TV rights money, currently ยฃ5.1bn, has always been shared out equally, part according to where a team finish, and part according to how many times they are shown on TV, which also favours the more successful clubs.

Part of the compromise reached is that the difference this makes to the earnings of the top six will be capped. The Premier League pointed out that currently the highest-earning club from TV and sponsorship central distributions, the title-winning Manchester City, were paid ยฃ149m, approximately 1.6 times more than the lowest-earning, bottom-finishing West Brom, who made ยฃ95m.

The differential now the international money-sharing formula is to be changed will be 1.8, Scudamore said, and any income above that will be shared to maintain that differential. Proponents of the rule change, including the clubs which pushed for it, argue that the entirely equal sharing had become outdated as the rule was established in 1992, when the international rights were negligible.

Scudamore, hailing the change as an unalloyed positive, said in a statement: โ€œThis โ€ฆ further incentivises on-pitch achievement and maintains the Premier Leagueโ€™s position as the most equitable in Europe in terms of sharing central revenues. By coming together and agreeing this change, the clubs have provided a platform for the future success of the League for many years ahead.โ€

However, opponents argue that the richer clubs are already inhabiting a different financial plane, and should not be enabled to stretch even further away. It is also seen by some as a dangerous step to change a foundational rule, allowing the new formula, and the cap, to be challenged again in the future.

The Premier League also announced that its two smaller remaining UK and Ireland live broadcasting deals had been sold, to BT Sport and, for the first time, to the internet platform Amazon Prime Video.

The change has been agreed at a time of more generally advancing financial ambitions of the major European clubs. Andrea Agnelli, the chairman of Juventus and the European Club Association, told the Guardian in a recent interview that he wanted to โ€œreshapeโ€ European football by having more lucrative matches played in the Champions League from 2024. The Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, also recently proposed a new 24-team format for the Club World Cup which would deliver $3bn for each four-yearly tournament. That proposal has been shelved.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Luckydestiny
                        Participant

If anyone here doesnt have amazon prime you can get a month free trial so just sign up for that just before christmas and then cancel.

If you get a firestick it wont take you much time on the net to learn how to add apps to watch all the 3pm kick offs too and worthy of the investment. Better than streaming from dodgy sites on more expensive hardware like a laptop or pc.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Luckydestiny
                          Participant

Nine, it dont sit right with me even if they are trying to play down the advantages of this for the top teams. At the end of the day you need two teams for a game of football, you can argue utd attract more fans for sure, but if they had no one to play there wouldnt be a game for their fans to pay to watch, TV rights should be distributed equally imo.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            nine nine nine

Lucky, I’m not advocating anything the above article I put up is just an information piece to explain how the current TV deal works and where Amazon fit in.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Luckydestiny
                              Participant

I know that nine, just giving my opinion on it. What you think?

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Nike19
                                Participant

Bit of an unfortunate reality L/D.

You won’t be the only one to unravel the implications mate.

Liverpool have the World Club Tournament to manage and believe, that December is jam-packed with games.

I wish from our POV, players were just fit and ready to step forward. Van Dijk in example simply can’t be expected to play 60 games.

It seems looking at all this, our owners pretty much gave Jurgen Klopp the green light not to bother too much with the League Cup and The FA Cup, but that’s beyond a compromise and this ultimately short-changes the fans.

I’m not clever enough at the mo to come up with a solution.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Nike19.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Luckydestiny
                                  Participant

Nil, I was referring to Nine’s post of the article regards tv right shares, not the scheduling of fixtures to meet tv demands, Happy Friday tho mate ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Luckydestiny.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Nike19
                                    Participant

Lucky, cool mate and Happy Friday to you too.

I wasn’t even aware of that particular post.

Whenever I create threads like this, I don’t see anybody making a stand.

Now, this might not seem a big deal to some. It won’t really put my nose out of joint personally, other than the fixture clog.

If people choose not to bat an eyelid, I can only see this ending un ‘unregulated’, and games and kick off times on a Match Weekend. Sky for on Broadcaster I often criticise eventually will lose their Monopoly.

Ultimate, it’s The Relevant Bodies that say YES are fundamentally a disservice to Matchday Going Supporters and traditions.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Pagan
                                      Participant

You say Sky May lose their monopoly, but they lost that a long while ago, however all itโ€™s done is created a bidding war and a fragmented product. At least with a monopoly you paid one fee and got everything, now to get everything you have to pay three subscriptions. That in turn has put more money into the top teams and makes the divide between the top six and the rest greater.

With the amazon deal they get all games on one fixture week, so to maximise they want to show as many matches as the can, one after another.

Fans want success, success costs money.

The fans have called the tune, the piper now has to be paid…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Nike19
                                        Participant

I refuse to buy into that.

Where did all this money stem from in the first place?

People again are accepting it rather than to acknowledge and say “yeah okay mate, I truly get your point”.

Personally, I wouldn’t be that bothered.

They should have done better, a whole deal better as far as the festive games go. It’s a disservice, but then I’ve already mentioned that. A blank drawn so it seems.

Oh well. Down and out eh. Rubbish.

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Pagan
                                          Participant

The money comes from the broadcasters, who took a gamble on a product and made it a world leader, and as such sponsors want to be involved in it.

My only gripe is not the money coming into the game, itโ€™s the money that goes straight out of it into wages and agents fees…..Pagan

React below ๐Ÿ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.