Home Community General Football Euro 2020 Squad to be announced lunchtime 25/05

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    nine nine nine

The biggest question to be answered is whether Southgate will include Trent Arnold all will be revealed tomorrow lunchtime.

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Mikus LFC
      Participant

Looks like he’s giving himself more time.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Hightown hope

Would be absolutely staggered if Trent isn’t in the final 26

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          nine nine nine

No one better going forwards HH but seemingly Southgate remains concerned about Trent Arnold’s defensive abilities. Be a big call to leave him out given the way he’s played particularly offensively towards the end of the season I would take him.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            steveosnakeeye
            Participant

Whenever we have a half decent group of players we have w crap manager with no idea or ambition

Expect mostly the same 11 from the last competition no matter the age or how well they have played

Few young subs now and then flatter to deceive in general

We can all write what will happen results wise with the England team

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              sean the sailor
              Participant

It’s a brilliant squad but I agree with stevo. Manager will hold them back

England should be up there as favourites as they play nearly every game at home and they have wonderful squad

Hope they do well. Really hope to see a bit of foden, grealish and mount. They be all starting before rashford and Sterling in my view

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Mikus LFC
                Participant

Yeh Stevo, Southgate, nice chap I’m sure but you can’t imagine him inspiring a dressing room. Watching the “golden generation” reflect on their time, I’m not sure much has changed.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  mancunian_mike
                  Participant

Steveo, I agree to some extent but international football is by its nature cagey; you’ve seen both Chelsea and Man City get to the CL Final by being solid defensively first and foremost; its even more so with international football where every team is capable of making the most of the weaknesses in your chosen system.
                    Forgetting the squad for a minute, what is everybody’s first choice eleven?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    mancunian_mike
                    Participant

I’d also say Southgate has actually done wonders for the national team. For those not old enough to remember the relationship between the media, the fans and the team used to be awful, with many players not actually wanting to represent the country for fear of being hounded or blamed for every little mistake – Southgate knows this as he was part of the squad for several tournaments at the time, missing a penalty in 96 that saw us go out. He has reshaped the way it all works and the way the media are handled so that the players can concentrate on playing now, that’s been a huge part of England’s upturn over recent years. He’s also been instrumental in not choosing the same old names and in giving any player in-form a chance, regardless of club (something that never used to happen). Give him a chance now that he has a new generation of talent to work with. He did take us to the semi-finals of the world cup 3 years ago, which England manager last did that?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      nine nine nine

Agree with Mike above, tbh Southgate wouldn’t have been my first choice as England Manager when he was appointed but who is better than Southgate and is English which is the current requirement from the FA.

Also I think Southgate has done a decent job since his appointment in qualifying for the major tournaments and in taking England to the Semi Finals of the last world Cup.

I would be suprised if we don’t at least make the Semi Finals of the Euros given the players we now have but as always it’s subject to injuries and a bit of good fortune too.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        nine nine nine

Sean, England are joint favourites with France.😊

Euro winners:

England
                          5/1
                          France
                          5/1
                          Belgium
                          6/1
                          Germany
                          7/1
                          Spain
                          7/1
                          Portugal
                          8/1
                          Netherlands
                          10/1
                          Italy
                          11/1
                          Denmark
                          28/1
                          Croatia
                          33/1

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          nine nine nine

Squad of 33 it is then with 7 to be culled from the squad on June 1st.

Makes sense given the injury situation and the fact that 12 players are involved in European Finals this week.

I suspect the culling will create a gnashing of teeth amongst the fans when it happens.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            Mikus LFC
                            Participant

Mike, I think what has generally helped in recent years is that the constant disappointments and the retirement of the “golden generation” has given Southgate more freedom to rebuild a young team without the constant pressure and expectation. So it’s been good to reset and Gareth has done some good things. But I just see him more of a person to oversee things than having the strong personality you need to lead a dressing room. Yes, as others point out, there are very few English candidates for the job so it is what it is. The FA really needs to be addressing that.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Brian blue
                              Participant

Mikus, i think you are right with your assent of Southgate, I think he has done a decent job and better than most options available at time of his appointment. The fans job now is to support him and the team, although I am not a lover of International football anymore, even less for International club football, maybe it is the years of agony that has coloued my judgement!!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                FoxyFoxes
                                Participant

I personally think Southgate would work well as an Asst Manager in the Eng set up under a more tactically astute manager. What he has done in terms of morale and belief for this England squad has not been rivalled since Venables IMO. It seems players no longer dread playing for England, which was a huge factor in that Golden Generation team. The foreign coaches we have had had all the tactical acumen and credibility in the world, however from all reports they didn’t understand the culture and so performances were crap.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  FoxyFoxes
                                  Participant

Looking at the 33 named and having to drop 7 players from that list I would drop:

Ramsdale (surprised he even made the squad)
                                    Godfrey (same as above)
                                    Greenwood
                                    Henderson (not fit)
                                    TTA (would rather James, Trippier or Walker in that role, no point taking 4 right backs)
                                    Bellingham
                                    Watkins

My ideal line up would be:

Henderson
                                    Walker – Mings – Maguire – Stones – Chilwell
                                    Ward-Prowse – Rice
                                    Sterling – Kane – Foden

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Hightown hope

Disagree with you there on a few things, Foxy! I’d leave Ramsdale, White, Godfrey, Trippier, Ward-Prowse, Saka and Watkins behind. Trent offers something different to the other right backs, and for me, he just has to go…and bang in form right now. Henderson (Jordan) would go as well, as apparently he is a great leader in the camp and very game savvy. Bellingham would go in case Henderson breaks down as another defensive midfield cover, and Greenwood would go as an alternative to a bang out of form Rashford.

My starting line up would be

Henderson

Walker – Maguire – Stones – Chilwell

Rice – Henderson (if fit) (Philipps if not)

Mount – Foden – Grealish

Kane

Rashford, Sterling, Greenwood, Sancho, even Trent would be a bunch of great impact subs if we’re chasing a game. Philipps or Henderson, Coady subs to help close a game down.

Think you have to play the players who are in form, so I’m surprised you don’t have Mount in your starting line-up. Only Grealish in my front 4 line up has a question mark against him, having only just come back from injury

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      Editor
                                      Keymaster

Chilwell over Shaw is one I just can’t understand. Shaw has been arguably the best LB in Europe this season. Chilwell has done ok but not really set the world alight at Chelsea.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Hightown hope

Ed – yeah, it’s a toss up there!. I just think that Chilwell is arguably a little more consistent, but honestly I wouldn’t have an issue with Shaw ahead of Chilwell!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Editor
                                          Keymaster

Yeah Hightown, I can’t say I’d be concerned about seeing Chilwell at LB. He’s a great fullback. He also has always done a good job for Southgate. I just think Shaw must be gutted as I’m not sure he could have done much more this season to start this summer. Great to have options there.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.