Home Community General Football England

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Adlab
    Participant

Can anyone explain how Sterling is not in the England squad but Phillips, Maguire and Henderson are?
      I thought Southgate said players have to be playing to get into the squad and form for your club matters.
      Did I miss something but hasn’t Sterling been playing well so far this season. Maguire and Phillips haven’t kicked a ball.
      What is it I’m missing πŸ˜•

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Luckydestiny
      Participant

Different positions but I know what you mean Adlab.

As a Welsh Chelsea fan I don’t care too much about England picking strongest squad, and honestly, I am thankful Sterling hasn’t been picked because it A) Ensures he isn’t injured on international duty and B) Only adds to his hunger to prove himself all over again. He looks 3 years younger this season than last. Long may he retain this hunger and desire!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Luckydestiny
        Participant

Henderson getting picked is a joke though. Absolutely pathetic to be honest.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          Adlab
          Participant

Lucky do you live in Wales? Where?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Luckydestiny
            Participant

Rhondda valleys bud

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              Adlab
              Participant

Not far away.
                We were in Cowbridge now Abergavenny.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                Luckydestiny
                Participant

Lovely town Adlab, only about 45 minutes from me. My mother is area manager for cancer research UK and the shop in Cowbridge is one of hers.

Makes me appreciate your voluntary work even more as its closer to home πŸ‘ πŸ‘

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Luckydestiny
                  Participant

Abergavenny actually only about 30 minutes from me

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    maverick1973
                    Participant

LD-Lived in Swansea for a few good years.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Chucky McChuckface
                      Participant

I’ve got drunk in Cardiff quite a few times…had a mate at Uni there so we used to pop down the M4 a few times to “visit” him… and abuse the student bars…

Actually, very funny story, we all went out one night and got absoultely hammered, staggered home at some ungodly hour as you do, and the whole house was woken up by a level of screaming you would normally associate with somebody being murdered, so we all started running around the house trying to find the source… turned out one of his uni buddies had literally fallen asleep in his kebab, woke up and went to the bathroom and was absolutly freaking out as all the kebab grease had stuck to his face and hardened up, making him look like that poor bugger in the original Robocop who got covered in that nuclear waste…there have been very few occassions where I’ve larffed as hard as that morning! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        threeps
                        Participant

“Swansea: pretty sh*tty City.”

Packet of virtual Oreos for anyone who can name the film.

How did a thread about England turn into a discussion about Wales?

Southgate chooses players that are unwarranted, is anyone surprised? He says he picks on merit but he clearly doesn’t.

Regarding Sterling I found this snippet:

On Sterling, Southgate noted that the player’s decision to miss the June programme to focus on his fitness after a difficult season had paid dividends in the early weeks of this campaign. That said, it also allowed his rivals for selection to cement their places.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          Chucky McChuckface
                          Participant

LOL!! Good movie that was… (I’ll let the others play though!)

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            threeps
                            Participant

I had a feeling you’d.know chucky. Bit of an indie classic!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Chucky McChuckface
                              Participant

Do like a good movie…

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                Luckydestiny
                                Participant

Come on that is twin town!

“This glue is for my models, not for going up your bloody noses, buy your own fucking glue!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Editor
                                  Keymaster

I’m torn on this whole “choose on merit” debate that comes up with every single squad announcement. His job isn’t to pick the best/most in-form players. His job is to win tournaments. If his job was to pick the most in-form players, we might as well let a computer pick the team based on data and stats. He knows which players he can trust, which ones are disruptive, which ones follow his instructions, which ones add value in the dressing room. Managers for the national team need to be judged by what they do at tournaments and not which players they pick for squads IMO. I have my opinions too, of course, and there are some questionable choices for sure but I just think we need to stop pretending the national team is something which should only be picked on form.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    Luckydestiny
                                    Participant

Swansea Gower is one of my favourite places anywhere Mav. Three cliff’s Bay is gorgeous

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      threeps
                                      Participant

Get what you are saying Ed and yeah a team isn’t about individual form it about what works best for the team. But there’s in form, out of form and no form at all because they are not playing. It’s the last one that raises questions. Is Phillips for example even fit? Someone who has been publicly critised by his own manager on this subject.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by threeps.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Editor
                                        Keymaster

Phillips won England’s player of the year a couple of years back and Maguire, another questionable choice, has been a good player for England in tournaments and in team-of-the-tournaments while playing for England. I think, in Phillips’ case especially, he probably feels there’s no in-form alternative who gives his side the same balance. I’m not defending the choices of any of those. They’re all very questionable (Maguire, Henderson, Sterling, Phillips). I just think there are likely to be good reasons for him making those choices which will often go beyond just who is on form or not.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          maverick1973
                                          Participant

LD-Mumbles on a summer evening is absolutely stunning.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.