Home Community General Football Clichéd Football Excuses: 'This is football'

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mikus LFC
    Participant

After the loss to Brighton, Everton manager said, “Wasn’t fair the result, but this is football. We created more chances, even if we didn’t perform well. But this is football…”

“But this is football”. You hear this so often by so many managers. But does it actually mean?? “This is football”. Let’s be honest, it’s just a BS excuse to shift the blame from the team and manager for their own failures and shortcomings. Imagine if you failed at a task in your job, and when you’re boss asked for an explanation, you just shrugged your shoulders and said “this is just life”. It just amazes me that we’ve become so desensitized to all this guff because many managers continue to peddle this stuff out. Are they claiming bad luck? I know we briefly discussed this on an other thread, but I’m sorry, there’s generally no such thing as luck in such situations. Somebody failed somewhere. Again in any other walk of life, if you failed in your task and blamed bad luck, it would be embarassing. But no one seems to raise this or challenge these vastly paid managers on such things. Why is that?

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Anonymous

mikus – lets be honest football is not like any other business. if i fail at my job, i get sacked. if i get sacked i have to find a new job immediately or i will struggle to pay my bills. if a premier league manager fails, they get paid millions of pounds. i believe steve bruce has been paid over £20m in compensation the last few years, for failure.

however, whilst i don’t completely buy the ‘this is football’ excuse sometimes as a manager there is nothing more you can do. i haven’t seen the everton game or highlights but i have seen plenty of spurs games where we have battered the opposition and either drawn or lost. i’m sure you have seen the same with liverpool. sometimes the keeper has a worldie, sometimes the strikers have an off day, but if the tactics are right, the manager has done his job. in football you can have 99% possession, 50 shots on target compared to 1% possession, 1 shot on target and lose. that is the beauty of it. but i do agree the ‘this is football’ excuse does get used too often and is an easy way out for mangers to not look at the bigger problems. spurs lost today because spurs were shit. not because football is weird and wonderful sport.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        Mikus LFC
        Participant

Paxton, I just think it lets everyone off the hook. I know football’s not an exact science and you can’t necessarily guarantee results, but by all means admit you couldn’t find a way through today, or say you need to try harder. At least then it might make the team waken up and actually try harder next time. I know some might argue the “this is football” line helps to protect the players confidence, but I just think that’s getting ridiculous. Are the players that sensitive? They shouldn’t be playing if so. As for completely dominating a game but not getting the result, again, it doesn’t really wash with me. If you dominate a game but don’t win it, you have failed in your task to win it. It is by definition a failure, even if the task was quite hard and the other team was very defensive. Unless you’ve hit the post 50 times and had several bad refereeing decisions, I have little sympathy with such managers. Admittedly a lot of this may be linked to the players being untouchable nowadays (so the excuse is used to protect them). And that’s also linked to managers getting sacked instead of them, which makes them richer for it as you say. Crazy situation. But one way out would be for clubs to start blooding more of their youth , who although might not have the same quality would make a lot up for it with desire (and they’d have no egos). But clubs don’t see the wisdom or have the patience in such things because the owners are paranoid about losing *any* ground to other teams, so they keep making irrational panicked decisions, and the cycle continues. It’s all linked together this stuff.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Mikus LFC.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          Nike19
          Participant

I actually think the opposite and get where Marco Silva is coming from.

I feel Press Conferences, and the ones post-match even when you have won a game you feel as though you are placed on some sort of a trial – so many questions to answer from various quarters of the media.

I do grab hold of the ‘this is football explanation’. You only have to look at the quick turnaround at Wembley with Wolves – did anybody really see that coming?

Even at Anfield yesterday, 2 quick fire goals when I was honestly thinking Arsenal would have either doubled their lead or we would have gone into half-time with a goal down. This is football because this shows you have to be on top of your game ALL the time in order to be consistent and see the job through.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Nike19
            Participant

Does make me question how on earth did Leicester lose at home to Cardiff – that is just baffling…

Maybe too many games in a short period of time…..

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Mikus LFC
              Participant

If it shows you have to be on your game in every moment, then by definition it’s a failure when a team isn’t on their game. It is the fault of the team/manager not “the nature of football”.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                maverick1973
                Participant

Nil-You know that`s nonsense m8,what Silva said! I agree completely with Pax here. check this latest fecking BS from Pep:

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/we-cannot-compete-guardiola-worried-by-liverpool-standards/tx05g4p5k3f71kiffr2qxw58t

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                  Nike19
                  Participant

He’s probably feeling something different, and frustration, perhaps some degree of pressure Mav.

It’s just his way of dealing with it in front of the Camera. I had a look at the stats of that game and it was more or less even-Steven, but Brighton by no means at the Amex are a pushover and not many teams have gone there and won so far this season.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                    Brian blue
                    Participant

In my view, Football is an art form, NOT a science as some would suggest, managed by accountants

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Mikus LFC
                      Participant

I do recall Pep saying some years ago that football is a game generally won by the team who make the fewest mistakes. Which is why drills are a key aspect of good coaching/management.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.