Home Community General Football Best and worst signings so far

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Hightown hope

With emphasis on the ‘so far’

Nominations for best signing…

Allen – Everton
      Hjoberg – Spurs
      Jota – Liverpool
      Chilwell – Chelsea
      Dias – Man City
      Fofana – Leicester
      Doucoure – Everton
      Walcott – Southampton
      Eze – Palace
      Mendy – Chelsea
      Watkins – Villa
      Wilson – Newcastle
      Soucek – West Ham
      Walker-Peters – Southampton

Worst signing…

Havertz – Chelsea
      Willian – Arsenal
      Bale – Spurs
      Van de Beek – Man Utd
      Brewster – Sheff Utd

Thoughts? You could probably add Liverpool’s Thiago in there as ‘so far’ we’ve only had 135 mins from him for an outlay of Β£29m!!

React below πŸ‘‡

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      Editor
      Keymaster

Yeah I think if VdB is in there, then Thiago belongs in there too. Both quality players but a poor return on investment so far on both counts.

Surprised by Bale as I thought he would be great there again but he’s not got going at all.

I’d add Werner, personally, too. Like Havertz, plenty of time to improve but so far not great.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
        Editor
        Keymaster

Would possibly have James in there for Everton. I know he’s gone off the boil a bit but it’s been a very good signing for them for Β£20mil

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
          threeps
          Participant

Bit harsh on Thiago, he got walloped by an Everton thug, not really his or Liverpool’s fault that he hasn’t played much. And of those 135 mins I’d say at least 90 of them were very very good.

Werner has been underwhelming for the cost and reputation. But Silva has been good for Chelsea hasn’t he, nomination for the best category?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
            Editor
            Keymaster

Thiago Silva definitely worth a place in the best category. He’s surprised nobody this season. Been quality for more than a decade. Will be interesting to see what Chelsea do when he leaves or retires. Can’t see him playing past his 37th birthday into next season

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
              sean the sailor
              Participant

Silva excellent signing

Havertz hasn’t produced yet abd high expectations with the size of his fee

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                nine nine nine

Silva on a free beats the lot!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                  Hightown hope

Ed – the difference between Van de Beek and Thiago is that Van de Beek has been fit and still not picked, Thiago has not been fit, so in terms of Return on Investment, they have both been failures so far, but Thiago’s ‘failure’ has been through no fault of his own…as Threeps says above ‘thanks Richarlison’

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                    Hightown hope

I thought about James of Everton, but after a bright start, he has faded too much for me, but certainly not a failure.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                      Editor
                      Keymaster

That’s a fair point Hightown. He has been very injury prone, though, in recent years so I’d imagine we’d be questioning the return regardless of the Everton injury. Brilliant player when fit. I was absolutely gutted when we pulled out of signing him at the last minute. Moyes I think it was

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                        Anonymous

Going to echo Threeps here in saying that there’s no way we can consider Thiago a failure. He was absolutely brilliant in the incredibly short time he was allowed to play before that thug horror tackled him.

As for the rest, I think best signing so far is Jota. back to back PL POTM, fair few goals in the PL and some in the CL. I think he was a 1 in 5 game goal-scorer before he came and now he’s nearly going at a goal a game.

I can’t wait for Thiago to come back. If he can shake the injury, which is honestly worrying as hell by now, I am absolutely certain that once he gets minutes in, nobody will consider him to be in the worst signings category. Of course, I think they say he’s back soon, they’ve said that for 2 months now though, so the injury has been far more extensive than they were making out.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                          steveosnakeeye
                          Participant

Pepe should be on the list for sure
                            Jota for me on the other list just come and fit right in immediately like he has been playing there ages
                            Also think he is the reason why firminio form has gotten better

Real pressure now

Wrong thread but what’s this nonsense about salah not being happy?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                            sean the sailor
                            Participant

I think it’s wrong to suggest dvb aswell as he hasn’t played

Havertz has played a lot abd has been poor abd he cost 72m

He still has plenty of time

Werner just going through a spell but he is going to be lethal

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                              Mikus LFC
                              Participant

Willian is an interesting one. Is he not one of those players at Chelsea that usually put a shift in regardless of what the rest of the team were doing? So what’s happened at Arsenal if so? Poor management? Or is it just that he’s in his twilight years now?

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                nine nine nine

Chelsea were questioned over signing Silva a player who turned 36 in September.

But Neville believes Silva has proven his quality already in the Premier League.

Silva scored a powerful header in Monday’s 3-0 win over West Ham and Neville was full of praise for the Brazil international after the game.

“You just mentioned there about being 36 and it got me thinking about being 35, 36 and how difficult it is being a defender, becoming exposed. But he’s clever.

“I thought his attacking at that corner was absolutely outstanding.

“If he stays fit and he plays all season, I think Chelsea will have a good season. I think they’ll finish in the top four.

“We were probably intrigued how he would do in this league, he’s proven that he’s world class.

Garry Neville 21/12

World Class and for free too!😊

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                  Hightown hope

Steveo – can’t have Pepe, mate…he was last season’s worst signing!

Sean – surely VdB not playing, even though fit, is a good enough reason to put him on the list as well as his transfer fee.

Mak – Liverpool Thiago wasn’t a serious nomination, it’s just we haven’t much return yet, though those 135 minutes were 135 minutes more than many of the poor signings have given!

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                    sean the sailor
                                    Participant

Stevo , the only person I would ever worry about leaving Liverpool is klopp

Love salah but I’ve no problem with any player if they want to leave .

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                      sean the sailor
                                      Participant

He but hightown he hadn’t been given a chance chum. I think signings have to be play like Harvetz has for us to rule them a disappointing signing so far

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                        Anonymous

“Wrong thread but what’s this nonsense about salah not being happy?”

he gave an interview with AS where he said nothing at all inflammatory or whatever. he admitted that he was unhappy at not being made captain in the final CL group stage match. He only said that though, quickly followed by how it was the coaches decision and he will accept it. he was then asked about a potential move to Barca or real and again, nothing bad here. he said you can never say never but that he hoped to break records here at Liverpool and that it was up to the club. I dont see any issue with this at all.

The thing for me though is, word is Salah is unhappy at Liverpool. Like Sean, I worry most about Klopp leaving. I think we’ve probably got to sell either Mane or Salah in the summer but that’s another conversation and to be clear, it’s not what i want, it’s an issue of sustainability.. otherwise we have to replace them both around the same time, with no income… however Jota changes that argument!

Steveo, I agree that Jota is probably why Firmino has improved. he’s scoring goals now without sacrificing his main duties. he’s just sharper, faster etc. he’s momentarily back to peak Bobby… and peak Bobby is far more devastating to opposition than his stats suggest, so this is great stuff.

As for Salah maybe wanting to leave, like Sean I’ve no issue with it. All these lads have earned my respect and gratitude. Of course how a player leaves does matter but if Salah wound his contract down, would Liverpool fans care? I mean, I assume he would still be putting in this level of effort and sheesh, he’s earned every penny we paid for him a long long long time ago πŸ˜€

I think someone recently posted stats that suggested Salah was one of the best ever PL goal scorers? 35m was it? What a bloody bargain. 13 PL goals already too… he’s just not slowing down. As Mane goes through a dry spell, Liverpool don’t even blink.

anyway enough waffling about Liverpool, sorry lads.

As for Pepe, he was last seasons worst signing but I think we should give him an honourable mention πŸ˜›

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          threeps
                                          Participant

Sorry Sean agree with HH about VdB. Its the transfer that is being judged not the player. So if they spent loads getting him and then he doesn’t play even though he is fit ana available then surely that’s a poor transfer? Same as buying a known wold class player that doesn’t gell or suit the system, that’s a poor transfer even of the player is actually very good.

React below πŸ‘‡

Loading spinner
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.