Home Community General Football And that was 2019….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chucky McChuckface
    Participant

Not quite over, but it’s a slow day in the office…

Was it a good year for football? Not too sure myself.

We saw the introduction of VAR, a system that I was against from the start, and discovered there are more than a few teething problems with it’s implementation, which to be fair is only to be expected. Hopefully we’ll see some improvements next summer (but I’m not holding my breath!).

We saw the rise of player power get even more out of control, or should that be the rise of agent power? Another serious issue that is a blight on the game we love, but another issue that I won’t be holding my breath over.

We saw the powers that be continue to stick their respective heads in the sands with regards to racism that still blights our game (as shown by the disgusting scenes yesterday to name but a few).

We saw players still abusing the rules of the game, pushing them to breaking points in the effort to “win at all costs” attitude, play acting and basically cheating at every opportunity.

We saw the ref’s getting pillared from post to post, damned if they do, damned if they don’t, who would really want to be a ref in today’s game?

Did we see anything that improved our love for the game or do we simply continue to follow it out of habit rather than desire? I think it’s just a habit for me now, and not one I’m particularly enjoying anymore, I find myself increasingly “busy” when the games are being played, only watching now when, quite frankly, I have nothing else better to do.

Dare I say out loud? Football is beginning to bore me now. It’s not the game I fell in love with, it’s morphed into some cash-crazy non-contact version of the WWE.

#BOREDOUTMYSKULL

React below 👇

*hover/click on the number below the reaction to see who reacted

Loading spinner
      steveosnakeeye
      Participant

speaking of which WWE is coming to BT next year so i get to watch again! try and get my lad involved, always found it immensly funny!

React below 👇

Loading spinner
        steveosnakeeye
        Participant

#ALSOBOREDATWORK

React below 👇

Loading spinner
          maverick1973
          Participant

Kylie-It wouldnt shock me if they introduce NBA rules where draws are not part of the game any longer,has to go to OT[pens] till there is a winner.Money,money,money.I agree completely with you re losing the desire and love for the game,and I use sites like these just to keep in touch with people and to read their views and opinions.
            Just wait till we get the European superleague….

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by maverick1973.

React below 👇

Loading spinner
            Brian blue
            Participant

That sums up the year well Chuky and like you I am falling out of love for the game as a whole, that is, the grip of TV, Agents and just about everybody in a non football sense The game needs to get back to its roots before it is ruined completely. A few years ago I forecast a game run by TV on a global basis, with 20 minute “periods” a second team on the bench. Vies being obscured by hot dog salespeople selling there “products” just when somebody is scoring a goal. VAR, doubled, two Refs on the pitch, a “hooter” for the final whistle controlled off the pitch (I see this as a positive) More players will move, more Managers will move and the real costs of watching a match will increase significantly. Yes, the local parks are appearing more attractive or dare I say it…watch the Ladies play A good post Chuky

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              maverick1973
              Participant

Banjo????

React below 👇

Loading spinner
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.